Author Topic: Going lite what's your best advise on doing so??  (Read 1258 times)

iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Going lite what's your best advise on doing so??
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Thinking same thing..  just trying to debate weather I want to use my olive deer drag sled for it?? or go and by a deeper small jet sled decesions decisions.. the deer drag sled track is smaller as in easier to pull .. but the sides are shallow so thier pluses and minuses to all...  also thinking of ripping out my padded boat seat and using the frabil padded  trunk..  swap that between the sled and shanty and let every one else bring their own stuff.. I got to figure how big it is .. hopefully will fit?? Will see..
I went with the wider & shorter jet sled so when I'm towing it my auger stays put in it .
The other plus I can fit it into the bed of my truck with my shanty also or fit it into back of wife's SUV . I added upright  rod storage to back of tote

chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 15, 2017, 09:32 PM »
. I added upright  rod storage to back of tote

Thanks for that tid bit of info! was wondering if my rods would fit the trunk guess not. That trunk look ls like what I want that and  Or a jet sled.. any how thanks for all the input every one!!

Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2017, 08:25 AM »
Thinking same thing..  just trying to debate weather I want to use my olive deer drag sled for it?? or go and by a deeper small jet sled decesions decisions.. the deer drag sled track is smaller as in easier to pull .. but the sides are shallow so thier pluses and minuses to all...  also thinking of ripping out my padded boat seat and using the frabil padded  trunk..  swap that between the sled and shanty and let every one else bring their own stuff.. I got to figure how big it is .. hopefully will fit?? Will see..

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by the deer drag.  The deer drag I'm talking about is a harness that you wear, it's made out of webbing, it buckles on your chest and waist, and costs between $10 and $20 depending on where you get it.  Here's a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Dual-Harness-Blaze-Orange/dp/B000LC2K2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505568061&sr=8-4&keywords=deer+drag+harness

smitty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAY FROSTY
« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2017, 10:13 AM »
The best thing I ever did was sell my Jiffy gas powered auger and bought a Nils hand auger.
Much lighter no gas no lugging around that heavy auger.

smitty :tipup:

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2017, 10:17 AM »
I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by the deer drag.  The deer drag I'm talking about is a harness that you wear, it's made out of webbing, it buckles on your chest and waist, and costs between $10 and $20 depending on where you get it.  Here's a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Dual-Harness-Blaze-Orange/dp/B000LC2K2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505568061&sr=8-4&keywords=deer+drag+harness

I just used/adapted a spare tree stand harness .. cut off what doesn't apply  ...must of had two or three laying around other then my preferred Summit harness.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 16, 2017, 05:48 PM »

Oh I know about that harness I am glad you broght it up.. I got to get another..  I got a olive deer drag sled  I think is to shallow for hauling gear but has a narrow track on it that make for easier dragging threw snow.. thanks for the input that is another item I got to try..

chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2017, 05:50 PM »
The best thing I ever did was sell my Jiffy gas powered auger and bought a Nils hand auger.
Much lighter no gas no lugging around that heavy auger.

smitty :tipup:

Already have a nils it is the 6 man shanty that kills ya and the heaters for it..

Iceballs204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:50 AM »
The first thing I would do is ditch the gas auger for a drill setup w/out clam plate. My jiffy is 30#  vs my ridgid setup of 10#. If funds allow get a lithium battery for the flasher. That's another 5-7#. I don't know if having a flip over is a deal breaker but and Eskimo 3 and Rapala sled is 23# & 6# vs  50#.  If  a flip is necessary  ditch the chair  and use a bucket or a small folding chair. Good luck lightening the load

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.