Author Topic: Buying a new flasher  (Read 6227 times)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Buying a new flasher
« Reply #30 on: Aug 20, 2017, 10:13 PM »
I think the Vex FLX28 is a brushless unit and I don't know what they plan on for the rest. My son is using the Micronar FL8 I bought used about 35 years ago. Can't seem to kill it.
     I switched over to Humminbird when Lowrance stopped supporting their units more than three years old. I have been using a Humminbird 597 for navigation on the ice and it will be replaced by the Helix 7 Chirp this winter. I also put a heated hard cab on my Yamaha Viking this summer. No more cold wind in this old geezers face when driving on the ice. lol I will also have a handheld GPS with me for backup since we have white outs here fairly often. Been caught in them before and it was nice to have track back. I almost bought a Helix 7 Ice last winter, but decided to wait. I ended up buying a Helix 7 Chirp and a Helix 9 Chirp in the spring. I guess all I need is a transducer for the ice to go digital.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Aug 21, 2017, 10:02 AM »
We're they made in China or else ware?? My x67c is malaysia the x4 was china and wondering if this season it will work??  my gps  hand held garmin made in Taiwan still works good lap  Toshiba made in China acts up same with my  Sanyo  TV made in China really acts up..  seems we went and made a ton of junk In China and now we find out there products aren't that good.. the manufacturer  country should be stamped in plastic or on a peramanet tag fixed to the units .. next time you look at the finders post it up.. that's why I am geting to the point of reading tags .. if its made else ware it lasts a while.. that why I don't put all my eggs in one basket  any more..  cause most is been made in China lately..  I think the humming bird would be fine same with marcum.. it's what do you pick when you know they all got problems?? like the software from marcum was not showing the upper Two inches of screen last year... them every one else is complaining humming bird don't have customer service cause they don't answer there phone lols.. same with lowrance having power up issues.. on their units  that's why I mentioned garmin but their gps base models maps suck and not as up dateable as say humming bird or lowrance..  that's the striker series .. it's really a gamble now adays that's why I say to buy a spare hand held gps  for just such a emergency.. I know the e trex 10 is $75 at cabelas right now.. got to remember cell services is not always there and you get lost in a white out your worst off with no bearings were to go or wich way to head..  if your flasher takes a dive.. humming bird use to make stuff in Japan I don't thing they make theirs there any more ? They use to have really good fish finders that stood the test of time .. now every thing is cheapest source for parts and who cares if it works past 3 years cause the warranty is only a year..

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #32 on: Aug 21, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Humminbird is manufactured in Alabama and Marcum in Minnesota.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Aug 21, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Humminbird is manufactured in Alabama and Marcum in Minnesota.

Are you sure that's not us. Head quarters ?? We're they sell imported items and use that address for tax reasons ??

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Aug 21, 2017, 02:52 PM »
100% sure the helix, onyx, solix and core units for humminbird are made in the US - marcum too

The LED's are behind the tft, the tft just creates color, led's shine light though them like film and a bulb in an old projector

Catchin' Fish

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #35 on: Aug 21, 2017, 02:56 PM »

Are you sure that's not us. Head quarters ?? We're they sell imported items and use that address for tax reasons ??
Designed, engineered and manufactured at a state of the art facility in Eufaula, Alabama. Started as Techsonic in 1971. The first Humminbird depthsounders were modified Heathkit units. Bought by Johnson Outdoors in 2004. Google is my friend. ;)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Aug 21, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Ya just looked at the humming bird my dad has its made in USA that spurprised me that it's made in USA.. most electronic are not.. like this lowrance x4 I got in this picture made in mexico.. the Garmin is made in Malaysia if you want a picture of that I will show it to you.. my x67c did not had a made in stamp or tag on it.. on a side note the x4 did power up when I looked at it to my surprize lol's .. hope this pictures not to big..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.