Author Topic: Use Garmine echoMap 73dv  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Seppic

• IceShanty Rookie
Use Garmine echoMap 73dv
« on: Feb 06, 2017, 07:11 PM »
I have an echoMap 73dv on the front of my bass boat that just sits in a closet all winter since I'm not using it.  Would it be possible to hook that up to something like this and a transducer and be good to go?

I feel like that would be a nice way to get some use out of my graph that's just collecting dust during the cold months.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Use Garmine echoMap 73dv
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2017, 10:02 PM »
The link doesn't open ...

If I had an echomap collecting dust then I would definitely set it up for ice fishing. With that screen size, you'd easily be able to do a split screen sonar/flasher if you wished. And also make use of any waypoints and profile mapping you've created during open water.

Just set it up on a diy battery case, maybe something like a cooler due to its size, and you could also install a decent size 9 amp 12v and have connectors to power other incidentals e.g. lights, phone, etc. Sorry ... I'm just getting a little excited for you. Keep us posted if you happen to rig it up

Offline Seppic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2017, 06:20 AM »
The link doesn't open ...

If I had an echomap collecting dust then I would definitely set it up for ice fishing. With that screen size, you'd easily be able to do a split screen sonar/flasher if you wished. And also make use of any waypoints and profile mapping you've created during open water.

Just set it up on a diy battery case, maybe something like a cooler due to its size, and you could also install a decent size 9 amp 12v and have connectors to power other incidentals e.g. lights, phone, etc. Sorry ... I'm just getting a little excited for you. Keep us posted if you happen to rig it up

I did some more digging after posting and yea, I'm definitely going to be doing it.  I went out with a guy Saturday that did something similar with a Hummingbird and it was awesome being able to use the GPS/Map to sit right on top of drop offs and contours and knowing what to expect before even punching a hole.  I'll make sure to post some pics of what I end up with.

edit: I also fixed the link

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:00 AM »
According to the description, the Garmin Portable Fishing Kit is not suitable for an echoMAP 7" unit.

I have an echoMAP 75sv and contacted Garmin about the GT8HW-IF ice ducer. Unfortunately that  transducer features high wide band CHIRP and will not work with a non-CHIRP echoMAP.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:09 AM »
Yes sir I believe you'll be very happy with your decision. Incidentally I've been looking at the 5" echomap specifically to target dropoffs and areas I've tagged during the open water season. And flasher/graph mode makes it perfect for year round use  ;D

Thanks for fixing the link. I checked it out and that looks like a good setup. Too bad it doesn't show how it's going to look assembled ... I imagine the battery goes somewhere in a base. Definitely post pics of what you come up with. Also looks like they're back ordered until March so there's that too.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:25 AM »

I have an echoMAP 75sv and contacted Garmin about the GT8HW-IF ice ducer. Unfortunately that  transducer features high wide band CHIRP and will not work with a non-CHIRP echoMAP.

You should be able to use your skimmer transducer. Might be a wider cone angle than the GT8HW but check out posts on setting up skimmers for ice fishing.

Offline Bigwalleye30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:08 AM »
If you have the CHIRP model and some spare change laying around you could hook it up to a Panoptix PS 21 and have LiveVu forward. See some videos on using panoptix and it will be game changer.  Only problem is its still very expensive!

Offline Seppic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:10 AM »
According to the description, the Garmin Portable Fishing Kit is not suitable for an echoMAP 7" unit.

Can you not still buy the previous non-chirp transducer?

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Can you not still buy the previous non-chirp transducer?

The GT8HW-IF is the only ice transducer currently listed on the Garmin website, and I haven't found any Garmin non-CHIRP ice transducer anywhere else.

Does anyone know whether there is or ever was a Garmin non-CHIRP ice transducer available?
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2017, 05:21 AM »

The Garmin page has a more complete list of what will fit in the case.  Here's the link:  https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543361#devices

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:28 AM »
Save yourself some money and rig your garmin like this

Much better when using as the five gallon bucket elevates the finder. Which makes it easier to read while sitting. I also cut a little door on the side so battery is available for charging and maintenance.  Total cost was under 10 bucks.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2017, 02:54 PM »

CORRECTION - Despite the company's claims, I can confirm that the Garmin GT8HW-IF ice transducer actually does work fine with my Garmin echoMAP 75sv (non-CHIRP model).:thumbsup: Also, no additional adapter is necessary to attach the transducer to the sonar. I just plugged it in, powered-up the unit then selected 'Settings - My Vessel - Transducer Type - Dual Frequency (200/50 kHz)'. It operates at 200 kHz and I had to reduce the gain to get a nice smooth return, screenshot below.

Also see related thread http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=346022.0

Offline ErnieLearns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2017, 10:15 AM »
The GT 8 iceducer by Garmin is 4 pins?  I know my Echomap 73 SV is 12 pins.  Does the 73 DV have 4 pins or did the transducer cable plug which is 4 pins fit in an 8 pin or 12 pin socket?  Just wondering about compatibility?

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11:27 AM »
I have the echoMAP 75sv with three 4-pin sockets on the back: "XDCR" (where the GT8HW-IF cable plugs directly into), "SIDEVU" and "POWER".

The original master transducer cable has a 12-pin socket at one end (for matching to various optional transducers) and and splits into two separate plugs which connect to the XDCR and SIDEVU ports respectively.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.