Author Topic: Water inside marcum LX-7  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
Water inside marcum LX-7
« on: Feb 15, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Seen a few short post on this subject, but i have some condensation/water inside my unit screen.  It is only noticeable when its cold out and the screen is obscured by the ice that forms.  Anyone have any luck fixing this? 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Water inside marcum LX-7
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2017, 01:53 PM »
haven't heard of it before. is there a crack any where or been mishandled like took a fall or some thing?

do you use the snow shield? did it get wet inside the unit or a lot of water get on the actual display screen because it didn't have the snow shield on?

the display screen is just like your monitor or smart phone screen or tv. if you get water under the glass, then that could happen for sure. the head unit has a water proof gasket and when i had mine apart i couldn't tell what they use for the frame to screen area for water, but it acted like adhesive of some kind.

being the edges of the screen are inside the head unit, it would or should be hard to get water behind the glass. i get splashes of water on mine after tossing fish back and at times the snow shield is off of mine. i think the edges had a wrap around them too. so it sounds like environment is causing it. it's not a common issue tho at all.

maybe extreme temp differences are causing a condensation issue. maybe the humidity from your home to outside is causing it.
toss some silica packets into it. the rubber flap should be an access point for them.
try to remove the moisture by sealing it in a air tight back and use crackers and rice. try to remove as much air as you can before closing it up. it takes a long time like a week depending on whats going on.

i would set mine in front of a heat register to try to dry it out first thing.

could always call the ones who know best.
888-778-1208

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:58 AM »
Do some searching.  There was a thread a year or two ago with someone who had exactly the same problem and explained how he fixed it.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:09 AM »
haven't heard of it before. is there a crack any where or been mishandled like took a fall or some thing?

do you use the snow shield? did it get wet inside the unit or a lot of water get on the actual display screen because it didn't have the snow shield on?

the display screen is just like your monitor or smart phone screen or tv. if you get water under the glass, then that could happen for sure. the head unit has a water proof gasket and when i had mine apart i couldn't tell what they use for the frame to screen area for water, but it acted like adhesive of some kind.

being the edges of the screen are inside the head unit, it would or should be hard to get water behind the glass. i get splashes of water on mine after tossing fish back and at times the snow shield is off of mine. i think the edges had a wrap around them too. so it sounds like environment is causing it. it's not a common issue tho at all.

maybe extreme temp differences are causing a condensation issue. maybe the humidity from your home to outside is causing it.
toss some silica packets into it. the rubber flap should be an access point for them.
try to remove the moisture by sealing it in a air tight back and use crackers and rice. try to remove as much air as you can before closing it up. it takes a long time like a week depending on whats going on.

i would set mine in front of a heat register to try to dry it out first thing.

could always call the ones who know best.
888-778-1208

Thanks.  I think the causes are the extreme temp change (in shanty to outside) and that i used it in weather without the snow guard.  I had no idea that it wasn't sealed well.  I find that snow guard to be less then ideal viewing as well, but i guess ill have to use it more.  Thanks for your suggestions.  Maybe ill give them a call too and see if they have any experience with that.  thanks again 3300

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:07 AM »
If you have water inside of your flasher maybe you've been setting it on the wrong side of the ice ...     :unsure:

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:24 AM »
If you have water inside of your flasher maybe you've been setting it on the wrong side of the ice ...     :unsure:

:tipup:
Lobes

Hmmmmm, it goes on top?

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:01 PM »
I had a little bit of condensation in mine this summer after using it in humid conditions.  I sealed it up in a ziplock bag with a bunch of silica packets and it took care of it.  It's the way I store all of my electronics when in storage.  Now I just pop the thing off the boat and toss it in the bag until the next time around.  Not too big of a deal. 

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:12 PM »
I had a little bit of condensation in mine this summer after using it in humid conditions.  I sealed it up in a ziplock bag with a bunch of silica packets and it took care of it.  It's the way I store all of my electronics when in storage.  Now I just pop the thing off the boat and toss it in the bag until the next time around.  Not too big of a deal.

Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.