Author Topic: Drill for Clam Drill Plate  (Read 13689 times)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Drill for Clam Drill Plate
« Reply #30 on: Aug 26, 2016, 02:02 PM »
yeah, ok. That's pretty good, thanks. Ain't nowhere near what a new Milwaukee would cost. With the exhisting set up it would come in handy if someone wanted to be able to use a cheaper drill and still be able to use a larger auger. My 500 in/lb drill that I was using to crank a 6" auger will churn out 1000 in/lbs with this. Not too shabby. I'l have to keep my eyes open for when they become available.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Aug 26, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Last used 725 in/lb Milwaukee Fuel  drill i purchased online  was  $73. They can be purchased that cheaply  if a guy is willing to look around on the internet. You just gotta figure that if you double the power through gear reduction that your going to get roughly half as many holes... at half the speed.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Aug 27, 2016, 11:32 PM »
You just gotta figure that if you double the power through gear reduction that your going to get roughly half as many holes... at half the speed.

More than half speed, because with the gear reduction, the actual RPM of the drill motor will be higher because it won't be working nearly as hard.. Also more likely twice as many holes, because it's drawing less amperage and using a lot less juice...

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #33 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:42 AM »
no one mentioned this yet, but try it while your drills on high speed to get your hole cut at the same speed.

there are other options like this already made and are complete. all you do is add your drill. this is not new to the sport, just new to clam. they have been copying others ideas for a while, and that's ok too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ice-kicker-II-geared-portable-ice-fishing-auger-adapter-/151910596313?hash=item235e93bed9:g:zzEAAOSwp5JWaEid

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Aug 28, 2016, 10:15 AM »
More than half speed, because with the gear reduction, the actual RPM of the drill motor will be higher because it won't be working nearly as hard.. Also more likely twice as many holes, because it's drawing less amperage and using a lot less juice...

<°)))>{
IMO it won't work like that.  You are reducing RPM by half but the motor will still be working because it has to spin twice as many revolutions to make the hole... There is absolutely no way it will drill twice as many holes.... but I like the optimism.  It will be a $70 bandaid for a guy who wants to use a brushed drill or lower end drill that  he already owns.  I'm  curious to see some credible reviews and performance tests on it. I have been working around electric motors and gear boxes most of my life and i will gladly admit it if im incorrect.
no one mentioned this yet, but try it while your drills on high speed to get your hole cut at the same speed.

there are other options like this already made and are complete. all you do is add your drill. this is not new to the sport, just new to clam. they have been copying others ideas for a while, and that's ok too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ice-kicker-II-geared-portable-ice-fishing-auger-adapter-/151910596313?hash=item235e93bed9:g:zzEAAOSwp5JWaEid

I tried running  my Milwaukee on high gear 1 time... I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE. Lol.... my Mora auger and whole assembly was so unbalanced it didn't start drilling, it started walking at me. It barely missed my feet but just as easily could have taken off a toe or two and sent me for a bunch of stitches. How does that saying go "Don't try this at home"....

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Aug 28, 2016, 10:21 AM »

Good point.. I know I can drill a hole or two in high speed, but watch how fast the battery dies...

But when I switch to the lower gear ratio it works great, and a lot more holes...

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #36 on: Aug 28, 2016, 10:49 AM »
i'm talking about using a gear reduction system that's 2 to 1 and being slower cutting. time will tell us soon enough, what happens using the gear reduction system on the drills high/fast speed.

i know not to use it it on high speed w/o a gear reduction system. that's a 1 to 1 gear ratio and not recommended by me either.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Aug 28, 2016, 11:01 AM »
IMO it won't work like that.  You are reducing RPM by half but the motor will still be working because it has to spin twice as many revolutions to make the hole... There is absolutely no way it will drill twice as many holes.... but I like the optimism.  It will be a $70 bandaid for a guy who wants to use a brushed drill or lower end drill that  he already owns.  I'm  curious to see some credible reviews and performance tests on it. I have been working around electric motors and gear boxes most of my life and i will gladly admit it if im incorrect.I tried running  my Milwaukee on high gear 1 time... I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE. Lol.... my Mora auger and whole assembly was so unbalanced it didn't start drilling, it started walking at me. It barely missed my feet but just as easily could have taken off a toe or two and sent me for a bunch of stitches. How does that saying go "Don't try this at home"....

If you really want to prove your theory you don't need ice..

Just put a 1.5" spade bit, or a hole saw in your drill.. Grab a 2x4 or 4x4 scrap of wood..

See how many holes you get on low speed, and then on high speed.. Which is no different than high and low gears...

See how many holes you get out of one battery for each setting...

We are talking about the number of holes per battery here, not the speed of drilling a couple holes...

<°)))>{

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Aug 29, 2016, 12:16 PM »
sooo... lots of good chat, but I have a dumb question.. I'm looking at the M18 Fuel - do I want the Hammer Drill/Driver Kit or the Drill/Driver kit?

Thanks!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Aug 29, 2016, 12:31 PM »
sooo... lots of good chat, but I have a dumb question.. I'm looking at the M18 Fuel - do I want the Hammer Drill/Driver Kit or the Drill/Driver kit?

Thanks!

Generally speaking, the hammer drills are a little bit heavier due to the stronger components..

My ridgid hammer drill actually has lower gears in both speeds than my regular ridgid drill.. It will run a big hole saw just fine, where as my non hammer will engage thermal shutdown during the same process...

Lower gears can make all the difference at times.. Not sure how some people equate lower gears to only getting half the work done.. Sometimes lower gears will get the only work done...

<°)))>{

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Aug 29, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Generally speaking, the hammer drills are a little bit heavier due to the stronger components..

My ridgid hammer drill actually has lower gears in both speeds than my regular ridgid drill.. It will run a big hole saw just fine, where as my non hammer will engage thermal shutdown during the same process...

Lower gears can make all the difference at times.. Not sure how some people equate lower gears to only getting half the work done.. Sometimes lower gears will get the only work done...

<°)))>{

Either Milwaukee will work, i have built them both ways and have had ZERO issues, the hammer model is preferred but not required. Just a reminder, If you are using the older model clam plate that requires chuck removal from the drill, and the Fuel with 1200in/lbs, you will need an adapter for the 9/16" spindle on the new Fuel. Clam has these available now.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Aug 29, 2016, 01:36 PM »
Either Milwaukee will work, i have built them both ways and have had ZERO issues, the hammer model is preferred but not required. Just a reminder, If you are using the older model clam plate that requires chuck removal from the drill, and the Fuel with 1200in/lbs, you will need an adapter for the 9/16" spindle on the new Fuel. Clam has these available now.

Thanks for the info, I am looking at getting a new Clam Plate and a Drill.. so I should be all-set, I think?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Aug 29, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Get the extension too.... you will thank me later.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Aug 29, 2016, 01:53 PM »
If you really want to prove your theory you don't need ice..

Just put a 1.5" spade bit, or a hole saw in your drill.. Grab a 2x4 or 4x4 scrap of wood..

See how many holes you get on low speed, and then on high speed.. Which is no different than high and low gears...

See how many holes you get out of one battery for each setting...

We are talking about the number of holes per battery here, not the speed of drilling a couple holes...

<°)))>{

Drilling through a wood 4x4 and shaving a 8" hole in a lake is way different. It comes down to a good combination of drilling speed, torque and battery life. Simply lowering the final drive by 1/2 probably won't help you shave more inches of ice. Like I said im sure a honest performance test on ice will prove me right.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Aug 29, 2016, 02:03 PM »
Get the extension too.... you will thank me later.

your back will thank you immediately .

Some videos I kicked across

Cant wait to drill a hole .. :'(

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Aug 29, 2016, 02:08 PM »
Drilling through a wood 4x4 and shaving a 8" hole in a lake is way different. It comes down to a good combination of drilling speed, torque and battery life. Simply lowering the final drive by 1/2 probably won't help you shave more inches of ice. Like I said im sure a honest performance test on ice will prove me right.

Believe what you wish, you have every right to do so...

Clam is claiming 600 inches running an 8" bit utilizing the gear box..

So you say you will get twice as much without, or at the very least more than with..

OK...

<°)))>{

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Aug 29, 2016, 07:53 PM »
A 2 9/16" wood bit is harder on my drills than an 8" Nils bit. I run Makita and Milwaukee drills. The m18 hole hawg and a 10" Nills will do over twenty holes in 2' of hard ice on a 4ah battery.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has tried or has heard of someone trying a 10" auger bit with the clam plate. I am currently using it with an 8" bit powered by a Milwaukee M18 Fuel and it doesn't have any issues

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.