Author Topic: Picked up an auger  (Read 1016 times)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Picked up an auger
« on: Nov 21, 2015, 03:45 PM »
I picked up a Jiffy Stealth 3hp 10" for $75. Its in fantastic shape. Has been sitting for years though, needs a carb kit ($10) and im also replacing the head gasket for the heck of it ($3).. i called the vin # in to jiffy its a 2004 model. One of the last years of Tecumseh engines. Im pretty stoked. This will replace my junk Jiffy Pro 4.

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Picked up an auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Good for you. I got rid of my pro 4 too. Hated it.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2015, 04:03 PM »
I haven't had any trouble with my pro 4 what problems did you guys have???

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2015, 04:43 PM »
Tbone being from Wisconsin probably had the same troubles as me.. Extreme cold weather up north here, the auger wouldnt start. Wouldnt run. Carb would freeze up, auger couldnt get fuel. Mine also actually leaked oil right outta the base as well. Just not a great machine for -20*. Fitting on the fuel line leaked propane too. If it was like -5 or warmer it would work okay.

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2015, 04:55 PM »
In the -20 I always had a warm tank for it. However the clutch wouldn't disengage in the sub zero temps. The elastic band that holds the bit on is a joke in cold weather. Try putting the extension on in the cold. We all know what happens to rubber when it gets cold. It wouldn't start on a 20 degree day one time. Changed tanks and plug still wouldn't start. Blades were fill after two tanks and never hit anything. And it weighs a ton. Throttle cable stuck too because the return spring is too light. My buddies 4 leaked oil out of the base also. He only used it twice. If I didn't know Jiffy was here in WI. I'd swear these things were made in Florida. I'm back to my old two strike laser.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2015, 05:04 PM »
In the -20 I always had a warm tank for it. However the clutch wouldn't disengage in the sub zero temps. The elastic band that holds the bit on is a joke in cold weather. Try putting the extension on in the cold. We all know what happens to rubber when it gets cold. It wouldn't start on a 20 degree day one time. Changed tanks and plug still wouldn't start. Blades were fill after two tanks and never hit anything. And it weighs a ton. Throttle cable stuck too because the return spring is too light. My buddies 4 leaked oil out of the base also. He only used it twice. If I didn't know Jiffy was here in WI. I'd swear these things were made in Florida. I'm back to my old two strike laser.

The tried and true 2 stroke smoke.. always starts in the cold.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2015, 05:07 PM »
Whoa, even with a carb rebuild & head gasket, that's a steal! :thumbsup:
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:52 AM »
I picked up a Jiffy Stealth 3hp 10" for $75. Its in fantastic shape. Has been sitting for years though, needs a carb kit ($10) and im also replacing the head gasket for the heck of it ($3).. i called the vin # in to jiffy its a 2004 model. One of the last years of Tecumseh engines. Im pretty stoked. This will replace my junk Jiffy Pro 4.

Why change the head gasket, is it leaking?  I always say, quit tinkering with chit that works.  I just sold my '92 Jiffy 30 this spring, it was due for a new spark plug.   Head gaskets aren't really a maintenance item.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:20 AM »
One head bolt got loose and i believe it was losing a little compression.. the head gasket was flat spotted right where the head bolt was loose.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Ah Ok, makes sense then.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:43 PM »
If it was like -5 or warmer it would work okay.
I'll echo this for my pro4 as well. A lot of people will say it is the best and works fine in all temps. Those people haven't been out when it is -20°F. I still like the pro4 for carrying in the suv and ease of starts but I don't mind taking an old model 30 out when I leave on sled.
It must be something in the water.

Kyle_J

« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Wow awesome deal, you are going to love it.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:59 AM »
Trading the 10'' bit out with my buddy for a 9''.. 9 is perfect in my opinion. Cuts a little easier, and is plenty of hole. Weve got 3 Jiffys anyway so now weve got a 10, 9, and an 8. Perfect! Carb kit and head gasket going on today. Then just gotta wait for some colder weather to tune her.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.