Author Topic: Ice picks  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
Ice picks
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:05 AM »
With all the stories I've read lately I am finally going get myself a set of picks to carry in my pocket.  Is there one pair that is better than others?

Thanks
Ranger

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice pics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:30 PM »
cheap ice picks are better then no ice picks...the cheap ones do work, but it sucks to have to use them...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:50 PM »
I was in the same boat..This is the first year that I have really fished by myself alot..so I picked some up a week or so ago....Rapala...9$...well worht it....they also are meant to wear around your neck so you always have them..I put them on at home while getting all my gear on

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2006, 04:12 PM »
the wife bought me a pair years ago (she dose love me)
If I don't know the ice their around my neck
Haven't had the pleasure to use them and hopfully never will
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2006, 09:29 PM »

Explain to me how those picks work with a foot of snow on the ice. You'll be pounding snow hmmmmmmmm !!

Get yourself 2 -- 10 to 12"" nails and an ice skate shoelace. Tie the shoelace to the nails and you'll be all set.

My grandfather had them 30 years a ago. In fact I still have and use his. You'll find this is a very comfoftable set up.

The 1" spiked handles with the telephone cord are fine on smooth ice with no snow.

Happy trials   reelucky
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2006, 04:40 AM »
wheres your grip on the nails with gloves on? and wouldnt they bend with your weight pulling on them?forcefully?

the pics work good, we have played with them, your down force smacking down will drive them right in snow or not. when the bite is slow someday just check them out when its safe so you know what your up against when and if it ever counts :tipup:

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2006, 04:57 AM »
wheres your grip on the nails with gloves on? and wouldnt they bend with your weight pulling on them?forcefully?

the pics work good, we have played with them, your down force smacking down will drive them right in snow or not. when the bite is slow someday just check them out when its safe so you know what your up against when and if it ever counts :tipup:

10 to 12 inch spike would be about 3/8" dia...they won't bend :)...just MHO..

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2006, 05:00 AM »
 :o wouldnt bend? with a 200# man + whatever he has on pulling himself out frantically, if that puppy bends just a little bit good luck driving it in a second time, ill stick with my pics :tipup: my .02

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:09 PM »
If you can bend one of these nails you should be on TV. ;D

5/16' square, 12" long, mushroom head and chisel point

As far as trying them when I'm bored I had to use them twice. Mass. ice is skecthy.  Where I live ice is a treat. I am usually the first on on then evey skater around comes out to the middle of the pond and asks me if it is safe. The clothes I wear are bouyant and give me plenty of time to make rational decisions.

I did loose my auger the first time and had to grappnel it out after ice out. After total disassembly and putting it back together it runs better than it did out of the box.

Happy Trails    reelucky
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:02 AM »
hey if your confident there safe use them, i was just sketchy and for $5 i have some that are proven safe and weigh less that a pound. i was also wondering about if it was a nail or chisel point, seems to me a nail point would bend when the tip was dug in and you pulled on it and a chisel point wouldnt give you enough dig in the ice to pull yourself out ???

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2006, 11:12 AM »
One advantage with the plastic ones held together with "phone cord" is that they float.  If they are around your neck they float up in your face when you go in, easy to grab.  Giant nails sink faster than you, probably tough to find in an emergency.  Who wants a pound of nails hanging around their neck all day anyway?
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2006, 11:49 AM »
I have a pair of the South Bend ice picks (WallyWorld $6) and like Smeltica already pointed out,
1) They float! 2) They have a coiled cord which makes them easier to transport, and they also nest together end-to-end so the points are tucked away.  To me it was well worth the 6 bucks for something that could someday save my life.  Just hope I never have to use 'em!
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2006, 04:17 PM »
I also have a pair of the southbend picks   look neat sitting on the dash of the truck   lol   motherinlaw   got me the set    hmmm she must love me still   lol    but told her hard to dig out cause I dont walk on ice   bad leg  lol    If I go in   so does the truck  lol
 ;D  PS   dont take a chevy   they are "like a rock"   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

crowkiller

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2006, 02:29 PM »
im gonna get a pair to ive ice fished many years n never got wet yet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.