Author Topic: Reel Recomendations  (Read 11034 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Reel Recomendations
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:19 PM »

I figured I'd keep you up to date on the AE-10. I noticed a side-to-side movement on the handle of the reel .. about 1/16". I took the reel apart and found three (3) parts not installed and one (1) part looked different than the schematic.
I contacted Okuma's parts dept. and explained and they were pleasant. After a week I called them back to make sure they had the parts and if they shipped. They couldn't find any order for me. They re-placed my order.
I recieved the order about a week later and it was missing one (1) of my ordered parts ... not even on the invoice as if backordered. I was fed up and put the reel together and said to heck with it.
If I had paid $100.00 for this reel I would be ballistic right now. I contacted Okuma's rep that I was dealing with a week ago and still no reply.
Well that's two (2) out of two (2) reels ... The AL-10 and the AE-10 both had flaws. At least they said they would contact the factory to find out what was going on.
I was out yesterday and had a chance to look at and hold the Tica Cetus SB500. I couldn't find a flaw after 15 minutes of handling it. The best part is it is under $50.00 ! I may have to get one.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:18 PM »
slipbob the only difference between the SS500 and the SB500 is color and a tenth of an inch retrieval rate. The SB500 is a gold color and the SS500 is a gold on silver .... I ordered two SB500's today.
As for the functioning in the cold weather I don't take a chance. I strip out all factory grease from new reels and re-lube with TW-25B  ..... it's good from -90 F thru +450 F . On the bearings I use Firepower FP-10 .. good to -65 F. I've been doing this for years and never had a problem even when it was -18 on Schroon Lake.   ;D
FYI most reel manufacturers are using a teflon based grease which hovers around the 20 degree mark. They have problems with low temperature grease in their bearings. ;)

hali-man

« Reply #32 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:33 PM »
My Shimano Stradics have that maintenace port which allows easy access to add a drop of lubricant each year if you wish.  For my Shimano's I have always just used the regular oil that they provide but only maybe once a year do I add a drop in and sometimes not even that and they work fine and I haven't touched that Tica lube wise since I've owned it.  It just seems over the years I've found that the better reels don't need to be messed with much, hot or cold. 
Are we going to get started on the Stradics again, SB? I just put three different lines on my extra spools for this weekend. 4, 6, and 8#. No maintenance required...  8)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:59 PM »

If you open a new spinning reel you will see a gold colored grease on the worm gear and an extremely light coating on the bearings. It has a thick consistency almost that of wheel bearing grease for vehicles.
It only took one instance many years ago up in Maine to make me do a little research about reel lubricants.Since then I haven't had any problems as far as a reel stiffening or locking up.
The reason I use the products I mention is two part. One is it is standard issue in the military for firearms under extreme conditions and has been tested. Two I can use the same product on my firearms as well as my reels ... no need for several products.  ;)

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:21 PM »
LoneWolf
where do you get those lubes? :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:28 PM »
Here are links for the products :

Firepower FP-10 http://www.mpclubricants.com/

TW-25B http://www.mil-comm.com/  I use the syringe.

They're not cheap but neither are my "toys".  ;)

trapperdirk

« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:28 AM »
  They have passed my rigorous field testing and fish catching efforts with flying colors.  :thumbsup:

Ah come now Slipbob you don't really mean that those pocket size walleyes and cigar like lakers caught out of a heated clam hut can be considered rigorous field testing .That's not much different then turning the handle in the store . ;D In the open on cold days nailing drag screamers is rigorous field testing . ;)

TD

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:32 AM »
Thanks LoneWolf :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:33 AM »
As a follow up from the start of this thread..as you know I did purchase the Tica Cetus and after it taking a month to get to me, I used it everyday on my vacation...it was great...ran smooth even in some pretty serious cold weather..very impressed...considerin g I had origianally spent twice the money on a Quantum XP05 Xtralite, the thing is nice indoors, runs smooth, but as soon as the cold hits it, it just binds up tight

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:59 PM »
As a follow up from the start of this thread..as you know I did purchase the Tica Cetus and after it taking a month to get to me, I used it everyday on my vacation...it was great...ran smooth even in some pretty serious cold weather..very impressed...considerin g I had origianally spent twice the money on a Quantum XP05 Xtralite, the thing is nice indoors, runs smooth, but as soon as the cold hits it, it just binds up tight

Take it apart and get the grease out. Find some low temp grease or oil and re-lube .... you'll probably like it.  ;)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 25, 2006, 01:32 PM »
icejunky I just looked and I see you're in Ontario .. if you were nearby I'd do the reel for you.  ;)

The SB500's arrived about two hours ago. I stripped them, lubed with TW-25B and the FP-10 and spooled them.

slipbob I noticed the grease Tica uses , at least on these, has a blackish color and is used very sparingly .. as it should be. The reason you haven't noticed a problem in cold temps is probably the different grease and it being used sparingly. I trust my method .. it hasn't failed me .. so I relubed.
I'll give them a workout tomorrow ... the high is supposed to be 18 deg and the morning low 9 deg. Not a great test but it will do.  ;)

Another thing I should mention, while it's fresh in my mind, is the bail roller bearing. This is the most overlooked part of lubrication in my opinion. This roller allows the line to "flow" smoothly on and off the spool. Without proper lubrication and a free turning action you will end up with line twist but more importantly a heat stressed line from friction.  :o

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 27, 2006, 01:18 PM »

I was able to give the Tica's a little workout yesterday .... I fished with bigredonice and fishingking. The temp at 7:00 am, when we started, was 7 degrees and when I left at 3:00 pm it was 19 degrees.
Thanks to bigredonice and fishingking I caught roughly 50 gills and 30 crappies ... most of a descent size. The reels never skipped a beat all day. The drag is ultra sweet and they performed flawlessly.  :thumbsup:

trapperdirk

« Reply #42 on: Feb 27, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Told ya :D  Glad you like it.  They really are a great reel, really ::)

Dangit slipbob .Does this mean I gotta test drive one too .That will mean I need to buy another rod to match it . ;D I like it . ;D

TD

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 27, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Told ya :D  Glad you like it.  They really are a great reel, really ::)

I knew an "I told you so" was coming  .... but you did !  ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #44 on: Feb 27, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Surely Slipbob they make those reels in full grown man size for us lads up here . We got pelagic baitfish dontcha know and we use a turkey roaster to cook one bluegill in . :o ;D Sooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo bigggggggggggggggggggg ggggggg and bigggggggggggggggg pelagic baitfish and they hit hard unlike state records from the western slope . ;D

TD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.