Author Topic: hook sharpners  (Read 899 times)

Offline bulldog_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
hook sharpners
« on: Dec 31, 2005, 04:56 PM »
the past few days I seem to be missing fish because of poor hook sets.  The old reliable lures seem to be getting dull.  Is there any hook sharpeners that anyone can recommend?  also has anyone ever replaced the hooks on spoons and Swedish pimples? what size treble hook? is the shank longer? any help would be great. GREAT SITE!!!!! 
bulldog :P

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: hook sharpners
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2006, 08:51 AM »
I use a small flat flyfishing hook sharpener that you can get at Cabela's,etc.About every second or third fish I'll check for sharpness and depending upon what I'm fishing for I'll also retie the lure every second or third fish.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2006, 09:10 AM »
I've replaced hooks before. I like the mustad trebles and I usually use shorter shanked hooks. All you need is split ring pliers, and the hooks. If you don't know what size hooks you need bring the lure or old hook into a tackle shop, and match up the hooks.
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2006, 10:41 AM »
I use a hook sharpener that fits in my pocket like a ball point pen. It works very well and costs about 4 bucks at Walmart.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.