Author Topic: Recycled Rods  (Read 2632 times)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Recycled Rods
« on: Oct 09, 2005, 12:57 PM »
i have, in my garage, half a dozen openwater fishing rods that i dont use anymore. im thinking of cutting them down and making ice rods with them. i have a couple ice rods that i like but some of these rods have some great action. anyway i was wondering if anyone has made their own rods using old rods in this manner, and what did you like dislike about them?

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Recycled Rods
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Are they fiberglass or graphite? and what do you plan on using them for?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2005, 04:35 PM »
they are graphite. i will use the lighter ones for crappie and the heavier ones for lakers and pike

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2005, 05:57 PM »

did it to one rod cut off the rod at the handle then drilled a hole the same size as rod tip section inserted it with superglue now have a short lite action ice rod
willing to learn new tactics

hali-man

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2005, 07:27 AM »
I made my first ice rod this summer, but I bought the blank and just used the guides and handle off of old rods. It's a fun project and I'm sure I'll be making more as this one could use some improvement.  :(

Offline jcb554

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2005, 10:42 AM »
I have made many rods that way. Straight cork handles are the way to go. I have even used corks from wine bottles, makes a nice slim handle. Or you can buy ready made UL grips. Add a strike indicator and they work as good as any store bought rod and better than some.

bigdave1018

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2005, 11:42 AM »
most are tooooo stiff but then again havin a stiff rod aint so bad after all? lol ;D

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:19 AM »
I've done it a few times and it's a snap.  I took the guides I wanted off other scrap rods and wound them on and glued the windings fast.  It's a good way to make a slightly larger ice rod for burbot and pike.  The first one I made I only used my Swiss army knife and some glue since I didn't have electricity!
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2005, 09:03 AM »
I had made my first ice rod about twenty five years ago. The sport wasn't that big and I couldn't find any in my area ..... this was before online ordering. I took a broken fly rod and used the forward section. I had cut an old broomstick handle and drilled a hole in the center of one end. I cut the fly rod tip to the length I wanted and epoxied it into the broomstick handle. I stained the handle and I had an ice rod. The snake eye guides also worked well in eliminating ice build up.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:31 PM »
Defiantly, have at it. Its a great way to give new life to an old rod. My favorite rods are hand made. I used 8" sections of broom handle for rod handles. very sensitive when you tape on a reel. Have fun

bigdave1018

« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:43 PM »
dowling from any hardware store works well to. catching any fish on your homemade rod: priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline WartHog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2005, 11:49 AM »
I have a couple ice fishing rods that I made from broken open water rods.  I cut the tip section down to size and epoxied it into the cork handle that I also cut down.  The rods are graphite and were originally light action rods with soft tips.

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:04 PM »
During the spring and summer I keep an eye out for broken rods disgarded by fisherman.  I use these to make my tip downs.  I take a dowel fron the local lumber yard, cut it to length, drill a hole in it.  I cut the broken rod down to desired length and glue into hole drilled into dowel. I then drill aonther hole through the dowel perpendicular to the rod.  I insert a smaller dowel all the way through, making a see-saw type of a rig.  I then screw onto it a plastic reel that I usually buy from any store that has ice-fishing gear for about $2.  I then make my base out of a 1x4 and there you go.  Home made tip downs.  I have about 15 or so that I have made over the past year.  They work great and I didn't have to spend but a few bucks to make them all.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:26 PM »
Where are you finding the reels? The only circular ones i see are like 6.99 :-\

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2005, 04:21 PM »
I purchased some small black plastic reels with a white plastic back that has a contour shaped like a semi-circle that fits perfectly over a small broom handle or a dowel.  I got them at Bass Pro last year for no more than $2-3.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.