Author Topic: Broken Rods....Quality Issue or Doooh!!  (Read 919 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Broken Rods....Quality Issue or Doooh!!
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:10 AM »
Im staring to see this issue pop up in a bunch of different threads....people talking about breaking a few poles each season. I have to ask...is this a quality issue or a fisherman issue...meaning did you do something stupid...I have a Friend who will tell you he breaks a few golf clubs each season..what he doesn't say is they were broken on trees...so what is the cause or all this rod carnage

I cant remember the last time I broke a rod let alone a few.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Broken Rods....Quality Issue or Doooh!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 04:42 PM »
I ussually break 1-3 rods a year. I Buy and break the HT blue rods (lighty duty rods for panfish) they are 7-8 bucks each rod. Ussually its my fault ill tighten up the line so much that the tip has an unhealthy bend in and  i would assume this weakens the rod tip which is the part that always breaks.

i know i broke one when the hook got stuck in my pants and i didnt know intill i turn and snapped the tip. sometimes they break when the bucket falls over in the jet sled.

But you gotta remember its not like i have 1 rod on the ie and break it ive been known to carry6-10 rods out on the ice with me.

I did break 2 Yad Rods the Second year i owned them they had great action  but seemed to break easially.

and since i break rods i dont feel like  buying and breaking a $40 st croix id rather break rods that cost under $10
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:43 PM »
In my opinion it is a quality issue, and by quality I don't necessarily mean more or less expensive.  I have broken several of my open water rods and all were the Cableas brand.  >:( I have several other brands of rods, that were all less expensive, and never broken any of them.  The rods that did fail did so in everyday use situations, nothing extreme.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:47 PM »
I have never broken an Ice rod.  Lost one or 2 down a hole.  For open water, with the exception of the rod I shut in the tailgate, I have only busted a few ultra lights, but I have a feeling they may have been chipped prior to breaking. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.