Author Topic: Jet sled  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Jet sled
« on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:59 AM »
My sled is getting a hole in the bottom from wear, it's near the rear of the sled. What's everyone use for runners and where can you get them??

Thanks, Robb :tipup:

camo_fish

Re: Jet sled
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:04 AM »
my sled is starting to get a hole in the back corner too. I'm wondering if we could just screw some an old pair of skiis to the bottom of the JetSled. That way the sled would be 1" or 1/2" up off the ground. That would keep the bottom from scrapping while being pulled.
What do you think?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:22 AM »
That's exactly what I did with a sled i have that was kinda thin. I found a pair of ski's for $5, cut them to fit properly and screwed them to the bottom. It added a little weight, but will not have to worry about the bottom wearing out.
Ken                                          

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:26 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, I'll just have to find some old skis. I wonder if some kind of epoxy or glue would work instead of screws??

Robb :tipup:

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:32 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, I'll just have to find some old skis. I wonder if some kind of epoxy or glue would work instead of screws??

Robb :tipup:

You might want to try some type of caulking material. Some glues and epoxy become brittle at the temps we use them in and might come undone.  Maybe something like liquid nails would work. Have to see what the package says for temperature uses.
Ken                                          

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:08 AM »
You can buy the stuff they use for Snowmoblie slides in bulk at dealers, also the manuf of Fish Trap etc, offer runners you can add.

Mike

Offline susquayugafisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:12 AM »
Hit some garage sales, theres gotta be some old, wooden skis somewhere!! I made a box on skis that fits everything using old wood skis. A little cumbersome, but I can usually find some one with a snowmobile to help out.
Andy

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:13 AM »
You could use 2 pieces of conduit, 1 for each side.  attach at the front and bend it down and around the bottom.  when the length is set, drill from the inside of the sled into the conduit and attach with a rivet and fender washer.  Light weight and fairly simple fix.

T/L
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:25 AM »
Seems all the Jet sleds have this problem because mine is doing the same thing. But, I am just contemplating buying a new sled. I know a few that have tried to patch the hole to no avail. When you pull it from the handle the weight does transfer to the back, which is why I can see the wear in the rear.
At work we have an epoxy that is awesome at low and high temps. Called Stycast, but I am not sure if it is available commercially. Some types of this epoxy also requires it to be cured at a certain temp....so it may be out of the question. Fixing the Jet sleds would be a good topic to start if someone could do the experimenting.
Definitley a common problem. I've seen sleds with ski's....and not sure if I like the idea. I guess as long as the ski's are just attched to the bottom via glue would be a good idea.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:29 AM »
I like the conduit or snowmobile slider fix, lightweight and easily available. I hate to buy a new sled when mine only has a small hole started in it.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:34 AM »
garage sale skis - cheap and a good fix.  Patch that hole though, otherwise you might end up with snow in the sled :-(

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2005, 01:08 PM »
hey robb, is something like this what your looking for? they may fit :tipup:

p.s. tell that hairy creature to be gentle on your sled and it wont get holes in it ;D

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2005, 01:17 PM »
I don't think epoxy or much else will glue the skis reliably,...I think the sled is made of a polyethylene. Not much will stick to that. (thats what they make the tops of most glue tubes,..anything else and you'd never get the top off.) I think large washers (fender washers?) would be the best bet.

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:28 PM »
Anybody use boards from a hockey rink, the kind that are along the bottom, I think its called "puck board"?  I am trying to get my hands on some for my custom sled, just thought you guys could use it on you jet sleds.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.