Author Topic: Jig Organization  (Read 2533 times)

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jig Organization
« on: Nov 28, 2005, 11:47 PM »
Hey all,

I have experimented with various methods of organizing my ever-growing jig collection, and until recently I never found any products that seemed to work well out on the ice.  My previous best attempt came from a metal fly box that used spring-loaded clips to hold the jigs in place, which never seemed to work very well with the heavier marmooskas and similar jigs.  Also, although it was advertised as "floating," my test in the kitchen sink clearly demonstrated that it was not when loaded full of my jigs.

I think I have finally found the solution... Scientific Anglers System X products.  They are a 2-sided clear hard plastic case, and 100% waterproof.  Even when full of jigs, it still floats high and dry in the grueling kitchen sink test (even when one side was open).  The foam inserts are interchangeable so you can mix an match depending on the species you are targeting, and there is even an extra case to hold spare inserts (I haven't tested that, yet).

They come at a premium - $20 for the clear case with 1 insert, $10 for each additional insert, and another $20 for the "suitcase" to hold your spare inserts.  However, they seem to be very well designed and constructed, and they will easily pay for themselves if the jig box ever finds its way a little to close to the hole.

You can check them out over at: http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scianglers/fly_boxes_systemx.jhtml

I think it is a sure sign of a lack of ice when people start doing kitchen sink tests with their jig boxes... Just plain sad...

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jig Organization
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2005, 11:50 PM »
I should add that they are easy to open and close when wearing gloves for the shanty-less.

Also, the two Gander Mountain's that I was at (Cicero, NY and Johnson City, NY) both carried the products.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 05:21 AM »
I got a couple. one for flies.  one for ice,  hold a gob of stuff in a small space.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:19 AM »
I have used the typical fly boxes for years, but they are a pain. With the clip type, it seems like they jigs are always in the wrong configuration, making it hard to close or view. Looking in the new Ice guide from In-Fisherman, a  box that might work well is the Foxy Box. I believe Thorne carries them. Anyone see/use one?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:22 AM »
I use a similar fly case. I have had mine since my failed attempt at fly fishing. It's the same idea, foam inserts on both side, this one has sort or a s --
                                                     I
                                                     --
                                                        I
                                                         --     design to make it easy to remove jigs

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:33 AM »
I tried the foam insert fly boxes, that foam gets torn up in a hurry by the hooks/barbs.  Pretty quick here I'm going to pick up one of the fly boxes with "nubby" foam - similar to that Fox box at Thorne Bros.  I think that may be the ticket....

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2005, 12:47 PM »
I like the foam insert fly boxes. They do get torn up, but I can deal with it.  The worst thing you can do is put your jigs in a compartmented box. They bounce against each other, the paint chips off, and the jigs get dirty.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2005, 12:57 PM »
I like the fly box idea. I'll be adding to my collection soon ;D.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2005, 12:58 PM »
Last year I got a Beckman tackle book.  It has four "pages" of foam for storing jigs.  Also, I tried the float test last year, and it does float, since there's so much foam.  However, last year I had it stolen along w/ the 300 or so jigs that were in there, and can't find any more.  Anyone know where to locate these?  I'll pay about whatever i have to for it

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2005, 01:55 PM »
I just buy the cheapest foam fly boxes that I can find. and when the foam gets torn up I just buy a new box
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

icefishnfool

« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2005, 04:57 PM »
the Scientific angler fly box is a great choice .....I have been using them for 2 years now .....and the pages are rather cheap $9.00.......they have salt water pages and large flie and streamer pages , to accomidate jigging spoons  and jigging rapala's along with your smaller 1/100 th oz jigs

Offline IcefishrNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2005, 05:09 PM »
Last year I bought these small green Morrell fly boxes at Gander Mt,they have a spongier foam insert that seems to be holding up well. I never had any luck with any plastic compartment holder in cold weather they always crack.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:00 PM »
I pierced my ears a few hundred times....lol

Really, I have a tackle box with tiny compartments, the jigs fit in pretty tightly, I should use a fly box, but I haven't reached the necessity yet.

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:19 PM »
I just stick the my best jigs in m eyebrows, ill never lose em there! :)

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.