Author Topic: Favorite ice rod/reel combos...  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Favorite ice rod/reel combos...
« on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:06 AM »
This might have been brought up before, but whats everyones favorite ice rod/reel combos for the species they fish? 

I use all light action reels/rods for walleye and perch, although I can't remember the brands as I bought them so long ago.  I've never been successful in locating crappies through the ice, but I'd use them for those too.

Does anyone use the spring bobber poles for perch fishing?  I've had days were a friend was fishing with them and the perch bite was so light, the spring didn't even move when the bait was in the fishes mouth!!!  ::)

What's everyone else use?!

-WF.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Favorite ice rod/reel combos...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2005, 11:29 AM »
Generally, five rods go on the ice with me, one UL/2lb line, three ML/4lb line, one M/6lb line.
The brands vary from rod to rod, although I think I will be adding a genz stix or three this year, sure are sweet for the price ;D
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2005, 01:31 PM »
I usually have 3 or 4 different brands going with me. In light, medium and medium heavy rods. I use both my jigging rods and my open water rods, the rod reel combos are Berkley lightning ice rods / reel, HT neon ice rod and reel and Shakespeare ugly stick and Shimano reel. I may add another rod if I see one that looks good. :)

WW

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2005, 01:56 PM »
I just picked up a St.croix legend with a Penn reel last weekend so I'm hoping it will be my favorite if we ever get some freekin ice to try it.
          Jim

Offline Tambo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Overall, I really like the Berkely Lightning rods.  I like the fast action of them.  I pair them with Shimano Sedona reels.  UL rods for Perch, ML- M action for Whitefish
Tambo

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:57 PM »
i am a big fan of the st croix avid series rods. my favorite is a 28" light action for crappie and shallow lakers and a  32 med for deep lakers.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2005, 08:03 PM »
i got a homemade 32in. med. action pole with a sigma reel spooled with power pro ice 15lb. ive used it from everything from togue to bass. biggest its landed was a 6.5lb togue.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2005, 08:14 PM »
Last year I splurged and bought myself 3 med/light st. croix avids, a symetre, and a catalyst.  I absolutely love them, especially the symetre matched w/ a st. croix, but the st. croixs break way too easy.  Thankfully they have a warrenty on 'em, cuz I broke 2 last year.  And yes, I do carry them in a hard rifle-style case!  They both broke fighting 2 lb 'eyes.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:58 PM »
I usually jig for panfish.  So my favorite rod/reel is the UL StX legend with the adjustable spring bobber, I match it with an Okuma reel and 2lb test micro ice.
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2005, 07:59 AM »
I've heard good things about the St.Croix and Genz Stix in a couple articles and doing some searching here.  I think I might add a couple new rods to my arsenal this year too...

hali-man

« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2005, 09:24 AM »
...but the st. croixs break way too easy.  Thankfully they have a warrenty on 'em, cuz I broke 2 last year.  And yes, I do carry them in a hard rifle-style case!  They both broke fighting 2 lb 'eyes.

That's pretty lame for supposed "premium" rods. I was thinking about getting one for 'eyes, but that may have changed my mind.

My favorite rod is a Cabela's 26" XML M. I'm going to put a Stradic on it this year.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2005, 09:51 AM »
My absolute favorite rod/reel is my 24" ultralite Berkley "Genz rod" with an Okuma ultralite reel.  My only regret about this set-up is that I don't own a few more of them :'(  Guess I had better go shopping ;D I use this rig exclusively for perch.
Sometimes I'll hookup on an incidental walleye with it and it'll feel like a tank on the line ;D but with a little patience the rod will handle em...

For almost every other species I jig for from walleye to pike and from big bows to lakers I really like the ol' Ugly stick.  Super durable rods with a decent action and fair price tag ;)  It's the rod that brought the laker in my avatar throught the ice hole. 

For deadsticking I really have no preference other than a soft action and a reel that functions...

Trevor

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:07 PM »
Yeah, the st. croixs do perform awesome, but the durability is terrible.  I still have one of my Gander Mountain rods I bought 4 years ago.  Still works all right as a back up, too.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:15 PM »
durability on the St. Croixs is the same as any other 100% solid carbon ice rod.  If you want to play with good gear, you have to take care of it.  They are a phenomenal rod, well worth the money.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2005, 03:11 PM »
  If you want to play with good gear, you have to take care of it. 
Like I said, I took great care of my rods.  I carried them in a hard plastic case all the time, and never dropped or abused them in any way.  And like I said, they both broke on 2 lb. eyes on 4 lb test, not from abuse.

hali-man

« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2005, 03:16 PM »
I've got to DISAGREE in a BIG WAY.  I beat down HUNDREDS of lake trout last winter and a bunch of walleye on ONE St.Croix Premier 28" medium stick last winter and I've still got it.

Do you really think St Croix makes good rods?  ;)

I'll have to check one out at GM.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2005, 04:50 PM »
i have all ht rods.  from a 32" ultralite to a 28" pike/laker rod.  all have the ht style crappie baitcast reel except for the pike/laker rod witch has a shimono baitcaster.
BUD

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2005, 08:08 PM »
I have 2 st. croix avid ultralites & a st.x lite action, all paired with cetus gv500 reels. I love the UL,s but the lite action is somewhat stiff for panfish I think. I also have an 18" frabill sensive UL with a cetus reel I like to use when I'm holed up in my frabill "barely enough room for me & all my toys" ultralite shak. I picked up an HT rod locker a couple yrs. ago, all 4 fit in it a little snugly but it does protect them somewhat. Think i'm gonna check out the genz rods but still like the st.x avid series best of all so far.              Tight lines to all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.