Author Topic: Mr Heater Portable Buddy Heater  (Read 5967 times)

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mr Heater Portable Buddy Heater
« on: Oct 18, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Anyone know who carries this in Calgary?

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetail.asp?id=678

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Mr Heater Portable Buddy Heater
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2005, 06:26 PM »
On the same page as your link it has a link for a list of all the retailers. I could not find any in Ontario and had to purchase mine on e-bay. great product and good luck

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:07 PM »
Couldn't you try Cabelas'. I would think they deliver up there. Or am I wrong ?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2005, 07:28 AM »
Your right Miller, Cabela's and other stores all deliver up here, but the cost is usually pretty high. I paid $25 to have mine shipped. Not to mention the customs charges on top of that.

Offline joco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2005, 11:51 AM »
HI vancouvercanuck

I baught my mr heater,here in ottawa,,,,,,,,they sell it,,,,at a parts place,,,call,,,,princesauto,,,,is there one in caklgary,,,,? i paid 109$cad for it,,,,

can t wait to go try it,,,,,,

joco

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2005, 10:48 AM »
Found one, nice unit, little bigger than I thought it would be but it sure does crank out the heat.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2005, 02:56 PM »
Congrats, they are slightly bigger then i expected but they work great

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2005, 05:29 PM »
I've got a colman black cat POS  imo. :)

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2005, 12:41 PM »
I just bought a new one at TSC tractor supply in NY for $69.95 which is $10 cheaper than Cabelas and the cheapest I could find it. It's got to be way better than my Sportcat.....

Robb :tipup:

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2005, 01:53 PM »
Robb, you beat me to it. I just saw them in a local TSC here in Pa. for that price. That's the cheapest I've seen them yet.
       Jim

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2005, 06:33 PM »
I've had my "lil" buddy for a number of years now.  You guys will love it.  The thing gets the shanty so hot we have to turn it down most of the time! ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2005, 06:58 PM »
I just bought one too Robb.  I tried her out in the garage and it's pretty sweet.  After seeing how much warmer bigred's was last year I was sold.  Goodbye Coleman, Hello Buddy.   ;D

Slip,

You must be reading my mind!! I was just out in the garage replacing the rear brakes on the wheeler with the new Buddy keeping me warm!!

Offline TJ Bauer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2005, 07:19 PM »
I've had my "lil" buddy for a number of years now.  You guys will love it.  The thing gets the shanty so hot we have to turn it down most of the time! ;)

I will agree with this I have had mine for a while to and I have a fish trap pro and most of the time I dont even have it on it sits there with just the pilot burning because after about five minutes it get very warm in there.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2005, 07:56 PM »
I can't wait til this winter.  You me and bigred are going to have to have a wheeler race at the king >:D :thumbsup:  Not to mention we'll be able to ride up into the "narrows" and try some laker waters I've never fished but have mapped out that might hold a lot of trout.  ;)  Plus it will NEVER be too cold with the new Mr. Heater.  ;D

Count me in!! I'll bring the venison!! ;D My new vex will be here next week and I'm keeping th FL-8 for my son and whoever needs it ::).

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:21 AM »
I'm in the market for a new heater as well.  I tried to light my 5000 BTU heater today and it's almost impossible to get lit.  When it does burn it burns on the inside of the burner instead of the outside and makes a TON of noise...this is unacceptable.  I absolutely loved this heater when it did work as it was compact and put out about the right amount of heat most of the time.  It's just too unreliable and this is the second one.  The first gave me the same trouble after only one season.  Now this one is only about two seasons old....POS 

I also have a 12000 BTU heater that is just too hot unless it is -25 celcius or colder.  Plus it is pretty noisy as well.

I am looking for a quiet, reliable heater and have pretty much settled on the portable buddy.  I too will have to find a retailer.  I recently see a flyer that was advertising the buddy....just have to remember which store :-\

One thing I am curious about is the Buddy's range of adjustment.  Most propane heaters I have owned don't really get much cooler when you turn them down.  Is there a noticable difference in output with the buddy on the lower setting?

Trevor

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2005, 02:36 PM »
Trevor:  Absolutely!  The Mr. Buddy Heater on Low is "just right" for most days on the ice.  Typically (even on the coldest days), you will find that a short time on high will more than enough heat your shanty.  Once comfortable, dial it to low or shut it off (which we do alot...sometimes we need to open the door abit as it is too hot)  In our experience,  even though our shanty is a "flip type" (no insulation), the heat stays inside for quite awhile.

I know you will be very happy with your purchase ;)

Good Luck this season!

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2005, 03:15 PM »
Man I had my heart set on the buddy but now I feel like going out to get one today ;D.  Thanks for the reply. 

Sounds like this is one heck of a heater as I have heard many positives from many sources.  Actually the only negative I have heard is they can be tough to light in the wind.  This holds true for any heater though.

Trevor

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2005, 03:27 PM »
Trevor:  Lighting in the wind is difficult due to the pilot light constantly blowing out.  If you search this site, I think you will find a topic started by "Mac" where he requested (and received) a pic of a cover (hand-made) for the pilot that minimizes the pilot going out.

If you can't find the topic, email Mac.  He is a great guy and will hook you up.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Right on thanks.  I don't think this would be too much of an issue for me.  I'm usually able to get out of the wind.

I think I do recall the thread.  That's probably where I got the poor lighting in the wind idea in the first place.  I'll check it out.

So does this mean the buddy has a built in ignitor?

Trevor

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Yes..and it works great.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:20 PM »
Mac, thanks for the pics.  If the Buddy gives me trouble lighting in the wind I'll definitely be referring back to this thread.  I guess first I had better get off my butt and go buy one ;D

Trevor

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2005, 01:19 PM »
how big are your shacks i want to get a heater like this but my shack is 8ft w x 12ftL with one 8ft wall and the others are 7ft will this heat this shack or am i asking to much. I am probably going to put in a wood burner just in case though
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2005, 01:57 PM »
MadP:  The largest portable shanty that I have heated with the Mr. Buddy is my 6 ft x 5 ft x 6 ft.  No insulation and it get hot in there! ;)  Of course, without insulation I think how comfortable it stays is directly proportional to the temp outside.  I can tell you from personal experience, the above shanty was "sweatshirt weather" when it was -10 degrees outside.

Given the size of your shanty, I would look into the Mr. Big Buddy Heater.  If you are just looking for a supplement to a wood burner, you can't go wrong with the Mr. Buddy ;)

Good Luck.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2005, 01:07 PM »
I use my Buddy to heat my 2 car garage when it gets down to 10 or 20 below and it has enough heat to keep it warm enough so that my beer and soda don't freeze.  Just remember to buy the filter that goes in the line if you are hooking it to a large 5 or 20 LB tank.  This will keep the oil in the large tanks from plugging up the regulator on the heater.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200310651&R=200310651&langId=-1

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:44 PM »
I've heard from another source that the tech guys from MR. Heater has stated you do not need the filter as long as you turn off the propane tank before the heater.

Offline Skinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2005, 07:56 PM »
Princess Auto carries them in Calgary and I think UFA as well

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2005, 04:30 PM »
Just got one for Christmas. Anyone know how long can I expect the 1 lb. cylinder to last at each of the two settings? Oh yeah, this is the MH9B model.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:36 AM »
Just got one for Christmas. Anyone know how long can I expect the 1 lb. cylinder to last at each of the two settings? Oh yeah, this is the MH9B model.

I believe i read between 3-6 hours depending on the setting.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:10 PM »
Sounds like I'll get used to carrying some extra in the sled. Of course, if this weather don't change here in central Michigan I'll be rolling the boat out of the barn! I ready for an extended deep freeze right now.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.