Author Topic: sled help  (Read 3934 times)

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
sled help
« on: Feb 28, 2005, 02:11 PM »
I was wondering can someone help me. I want to get a jet sled or otter whatever sled this spring so I can do mod.'s to it for next year. I was waiting till things went on clearance but now everything is put away around here. Does anyone know of a good place to look?
      Jim

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: sled help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2005, 02:56 PM »
I haven't checked it yet, but possibly try ebay?
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Jim, I doubt if you'll find any sleds locally, but I may be wrong with small mom and pop stores. Places have started getting ready for spring and have already sold the stuff or shipped it back to their distribution warehouses. Unfortunately, I think you waited a little too long. I would suggest e-bay also, but the shipping costs will eat up any savings you thought about. You can always buy one early next winter since around here(central PA), the stores usually put their ice gear out by mid november. Plenty of time before we get safe ice.
Ken                                          

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2005, 04:54 PM »
Those are my thoughts to but wanted some other thoughts. Thanks
       Jim

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2005, 05:21 PM »
baitshops here in buffalo have their jet sleds and otter sleds on clearance right now.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2005, 08:30 AM »
Thanks worm but buffalo is a road trip from central PA. I would need a good excuse to go that far for a sled ;D
      Jim

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2005, 12:29 PM »
Have you looked at Fish307.com ? They're located in Lake George , NY and they have a bunch of good guys there. I don't know what shipping would be but you could give them a call .. just tell them you're from IceShanty.  ;D
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2005, 04:38 PM »
well i meant to check some bait shops in the area. call around most places will ship the sled.

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2005, 01:26 PM »
hey carpcatcher check this out, maybe a short term alternative to the Jet sled. I wanted a sled, but I drive a 4 door sedan (married with children!), and can't fit a 'standard sled' into my car's trunk. I went to my local Lowe's, and bought a 'masonry tub' for $12. It's 36"L x 24"w x 8"D. It fits in the trunk of my Lumina. Comes with instructions to add the pull rope. Check out the picture. I'm looking for a set of skis, as I hear that the bottoms can wear out quickly, to put on the base. I used 25 feet of 3/8" nylon rope for the pull. There is a good amount of room still in the tub for a flasher, lunch, and whatever else you might want to bring. I was hauling it around the backyard, and it goes over the snow pretty well. Good luck!

Gregg

Fisher Jodoin

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2005, 01:31 PM »
Any sportsman's catelog possibly...... ???

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2005, 01:43 PM »
tinboat - what did the masonry tub cost?  I already have a jet sled, but wouldn't mind a smaller alternative when I don't need to drag so much stuff out on the ice. 
 IFNH

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:25 PM »
ice, it cost me exactly $12.93 + tax, (yeah I can see that's not an issue in NH), and it is found in the Masonry section of the store. The tub is actually called an All Purpose Super Tub, sku 19252. Spent another $6.78 for 25' of 3/8 Nylon rope. I used the full length of rope, as that gives me a big loop so I can drape it across my chest and under one arm, so I actually don't have to hold the rope. The back of the sticker that was on the tub contained instructions for drilling the tub for the rope, at 16 (3/8") pre-marked points around the rim, to distribute the pull. Hope that helps.
Gregg

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2005, 07:08 AM »
thanks tinboat - total price is about half as much as the jet sled.  I think this will make a great second sled for me for the lighter trips. 

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2005, 04:49 PM »
Hey ice, took 'the tub' out for it's maiden voyage, and it worked out well. It is pretty noisey when dragged across the ice/frozen snow. I think putting small skiis on it will quiet it down.
Gregg

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2005, 06:14 PM »
skis definately dampen the noise, it worked well for my home made sled.

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • VEX, is sure an expensive depth finder..
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2005, 06:27 PM »
why not make your own sled, a couple of boards and make a box, then put some ski's on the bottem, with a lid, use your mind to make one that is conveinent for you.
          made one 15 years ago and still use it ::) ::)
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2005, 07:39 AM »
I've already built a box sled, which I store alot of gear in it for out at the permanent shanty.  Just nice to have optional size/style sleds for different types of trips and transport in different types of vehicles.  Never have too many sleds in my opinion.  They definitely make hauling gear alot easier.

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2005, 12:09 PM »
I was wondering can someone help me. I want to get a jet sled or otter whatever sled this spring so I can do mod.'s to it for next year. I was waiting till things went on clearance but now everything is put away around here. Does anyone know of a good place to look?
      Jim
Get the XL Jet sled Jim...I got one this year, and its a great addition to the wheeler (towbar essential for the wheeler)....usually 3 of us fish together, and there is more than enough room for gear, food, etc !...when the snow is to deep it can be easily pulled ...MHO....good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.