Author Topic: refilling small 16 oz. propane canisters  (Read 2681 times)

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
refilling small 16 oz. propane canisters
« on: Feb 15, 2005, 02:18 PM »
Does anyone refill the small 16 oz propane canisters from a large tank?  I just got a fitting from Cabelas to do this, but unfortunately the directions on the back of the card that the fitting came on was destroyed.  Any info would be helpful.  I'm guessing you need to invert the source.

frog1214

Re: refilling small 16 oz. propane canisters
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2005, 06:18 PM »
this is a great item .just put small tanks in freezer for 15 to 20 min and keep your big tank 65 degrees to 85 degrees then screw the small tank on turn big tank up side down then open valve for 1 min then close take tank off . it works great saves a lot of money so far i have filled 13 tanks and my big tank is not empty yet i should get at least 20 tanks i hope that will be less than 1 dollar per tank good luck. be care ful

billybono

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2005, 10:31 PM »
and make sure its not a opd tank or it wont work ;)

billybono

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2005, 03:15 AM »
      Ther's another entire thread on this subject with some real good explanations on how to do it and not blow anything up.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2005, 05:43 PM »
The cost for the adapter to fill one of these tanks is a waste of money. For 10 dollars more you can go buy a 5-pound tank. Those one-pound tanks are not meant to be refilled. I use my 5 pound tank year round. It’s convenient and safe. You can’t burst one of those little tanks; the valve on top of the tank will let go. If you don’t know what you are doing you can get a nasty frostbite or loose your eyesight if you get the propane in your eyes.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2006, 05:09 PM »
this is an old thread but I have to weigh in on this one. Billybono said an opd tank would not work but I have to disagree with him. You can only get opd tanks filled now and thats all I have. I have no problem refilling the 1 lb. bottles. just freeze the small bottles for 15-30 minutes, attach to the adapter which is on the 20 lb. bottle. turn the 20 lb. bottle upside down and fill for 1-2 minutes. hope this helps.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2006, 11:36 AM »

This was covered quite a few years back. If I recall correctly when I contacted Coleman about this I was told not to do it. The reason given is the spring and valve are not designed for refilling .. it's a one time deal. They stated the spring/valve could lock open and it would leak.
Take it for what it's worth. Some may say Coleman wants to sell more 1 lb bottles, etc..  ;D

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2006, 04:35 PM »
I have never done it and I don't know anyone around here that has. I think it could be an excellent way to blow yourself right off of this planet. just my .02. :o :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.