Author Topic: Jet Sled or DIY ?  (Read 44838 times)

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
Jet Sled or DIY ?
« on: Oct 28, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Need an opinion on hand pulling a Jet Sled

I need a sled to hand pull my new staff - my daughter's sled won't cut it anymore :)
It has to be < 25 in wide and >= 52 in long
I was going to build my own from aluminum angle from HD / old downhill skies I have / thin plywood (bottom) / thin rope and tarp (sides). It would be light, but may not handle deep snow well with only 2 skies (skies would also be bad on rocks/road, parking)
But I just found out that one of the Jet sleds actually fit the dimensions 24x54x10 - I don't know the exact name of the model (JS1<?>).
The price tag with all I want would be very close on both.

Question: Does somebody hand pull this Jet Sled, what are your impressions on it?

If sled works OK I'll buy the sled and I could make some improvements later if needed

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jet Sled or DIY ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2011, 01:53 PM »
i dont personally have that big of a jet sled but i do own the smaller version.  deep snow.... i think anything is tough to pull in deep snow. nowadays guys have so much weight packed in those buggers!

the only thing i found to work the best is a jet sled with dual snowboards for runners. adds a little more weight but distributes much better. mine pulls pretty nice and i do some long hauls by foot but im also a young pup with some stamina left :P

its a toss up i would think between aluminum and the hard plastic jet sled.  i would guess the aluminum would handle the rocks/dirt landings better in the long run. park close to the ice and unload then go park the truck on the blacktop or w/e.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Hand pulled a jet for 3 years and then machine pulled it for 4 or 5 more, it's still in the shop and I use it if we bring guests and their stuff out on the ice. Great sled if ya ask me, just my .02 !

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Thanks - guess I'll just buy then

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2011, 02:34 PM »
I found the jet sleds really tough to pull in deep snow so I built this thing one evening before a fishing derby. Works pretty good, cost was about 25$.

Also doubles as a mobile shelter.

"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2011, 03:21 PM »
That's something I don't get - is the idea that your "skies" drop all the way to ice and cut through, but "box" is above the snow?
I mean that some of the "skies" (don't know the proper word) look really narrow
I was thinking more about getting on the top of the snow with downhill skies, snow normally gets packed by the wind pretty fast, must be harder to "cut through"..

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2011, 05:09 PM »
AK-71, I have the jetsled XL, been using it for 6 years. I put wheels on the back because some of the lakes I fish you have to cross streets, built my own version of the Smitty sled( you can do a search and find it) and have no problems pulling it. I put the wheels down to pull across roads or what not, pull it up on the skies when I get to the lake, strap it down and go! The skies keep it from sinking down in the snow, sled stays above snow. feels like maybe 1/4 of the weight compared to just pulling the sled flat on the snow. Here  are some pictures, sorry so big.wheels down. Smitty sledwheels upon sled skies folded up so they don't take up to much spaceMaybe this helps.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2011, 05:18 PM »
AK-71, I have the jetsled XL, been using it for 6 years. I put wheels on the back because some of the lakes I fish you have to cross streets, built my own version of the Smitty sled( you can do a search and find it) and have no problems pulling it. I put the wheels down to pull across roads or what not, pull it up on the skies when I get to the lake, strap it down and go! The skies keep it from sinking down in the snow, sled stays above snow. feels like maybe 1/4 of the weight compared to just pulling the sled flat on the snow. Here  are some pictures, sorry so big.(Image removed from quote.)wheels down.(Image removed from quote.) Smitty sled(Image removed from quote.)wheels up(Image removed from quote.)on sled(Image removed from quote.) skies folded up so they don't take up to much space(Image removed from quote.)Maybe this helps.

i like to desine! some very good ideas are brewing.....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Let us know what they are! I whipped these up n about 4 hours one day, they work, but not pretty. I haul more n the sled then whats in the pictures, Z71 auger, 32 pounds and quikfish 4, 30 pounds. plus tackle and vex and what you see. But I swear it feels like I'm pulling maybe 30 or 40 pounds.

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2011, 06:38 PM »
I really like your take on the smitty sled design FKK, that looks like the simplest, user friendly design that I've seen yet, Great job ! Nice MO RED Color on the skis too ! ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:02 PM »
fordkisskrazy, Are you a fence man? I used to work for a wholesale fence company and made bent frame gates. I see it looks like you used top rail 1 3/8" tubing for the parts and a 4 brace clamps for the cross bars. I like the wheels on the back also. I am thinking about mounting some on my Smitty sled.
<===Lefty===

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:22 PM »
No, concrete man. Had an old dog kennel lyin around and thought what the heck! worked out great.( I think) Ya 1  3/8"tubing. 3 turns of a wrench and it comes apart or goes together. after cutting it down to size for the sled used what I cut off for the wheels, and some aluminum angle I had lying around. Just need to get some pins insted of bolts and will be set.
 Thanks Surf, but I couldn't have done it with out the Smitty design. I figure the MO RED the better.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Could you tell me where I can get some of that Aluminum Channel? I have everything else. Bought some wheels at Lowes today.

Or just tell me the dimensions of the channel so I can get it on-line. I know it need to be at least 1.5" wide but what is the length of the fins?

Fins are the uprights in this picture. |__|.
<===Lefty===

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2011, 02:29 PM »
Lefty, its 1 3/4 angle. cut in 6" length and bolted together to make channel, I would think lowes would have it. I don't know where I got it. I'm always finding stuff at my job sites so more then likely thats where. If your in the metro area Den-Co would have some I'm sure. Pm me if you need and I'll help ya out.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Thanks, I will get some angle braces soon. I will make a set of wheels for my Jet sled for fast mobility and then some for my Quick Flip II when I use it on the Smitty Ski's.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:03 AM »
I found the jet sleds really tough to pull in deep snow so I built this thing one evening before a fishing derby. Works pretty good, cost was about 25$.

(Image removed from quote.)

Also doubles as a mobile shelter.

hey layne, how'd this work out for you? what are the sides and bottom made of? sides look like corregated plastic

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:48 AM »
AK-71, I have the jetsled XL, been using it for 6 years. I put wheels on the back because some of the lakes I fish you have to cross streets, built my own version of the Smitty sled( you can do a search and find it) and have no problems pulling it. I put the wheels down to pull across roads or what not, pull it up on the skies when I get to the lake, strap it down and go! The skies keep it from sinking down in the snow, sled stays above snow. feels like maybe 1/4 of the weight compared to just pulling the sled flat on the snow. Here  are some pictures, sorry so big.(Image removed from quote.)wheels down.(Image removed from quote.) Smitty sled(Image removed from quote.)wheels up(Image removed from quote.)on sled(Image removed from quote.) skies folded up so they don't take up to much space(Image removed from quote.)Maybe this helps.

Lose two wheels and run an axle from one side to the other.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:50 AM »
hey layne, how'd this work out for you? what are the sides and bottom made of? sides look like corregated plastic

Could probably use some discarded political campaign signs.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:55 PM »

heres my smitty sled modification...skis just slide out of the two conduits mounted to the sled with U-bolts. 1/2 inch pipe threaded into floor flanges.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:28 AM »
Do both........Get yourself a jetsled ...... Then MODIFY ;D

Just the sled alone on glare ice and strap on the skis for snow. This is the JS1 I believe you were talking about.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2013, 03:51 PM »
old thread here but you guys have come up with some great stuff!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2013, 02:35 AM »
Do both........Get yourself a jetsled ...... Then MODIFY ;D

Just the sled alone on glare ice and strap on the skis for snow. This is the JS1 I believe you were talking about.

I like that set up a lot  and if I have time I'm going to make one.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2013, 06:45 AM »
nice going ,great job

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2013, 08:18 AM »
I have found that the jet sled only pulls hard if you fill it up with too much stuff. Too fix the problem, I use more sleds, and add weight to them for easy pulling. I can stack them when I get back to the truck. This way, they take up less room when needed. The cost of extra sleds way outweighs itself when pulling through deep snow, or any snow, for that matter! With the sleds lightened up, they stay on top of the snow.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Cp12065

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2017, 01:54 PM »
We are making a version of this great jet sled. Can you please let us know how the wheels are attached in a way that they can be brought up when not using them?? Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.