Author Topic: Holy boat  (Read 1751 times)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Holy boat
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Very cool

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2019, 05:47 AM »
Well that didn't last long. Linked page is 404...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2019, 09:11 AM »
It was an article about Dave genz fishing through holes in a boat with ice gear.  Seemed pretty ridiculous to me but whatever floats your boat ;D

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Thanks for the link diehard. Pretty funny stuff. No accountin' for the ingenuity of the hardwater angler. We are an ingenious bunch. I've thought about floating a tipup during open water but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe an Automatic Fisherman on an inner tube  ::)

Had an experience last summer finding open water crappies and catching them with a jigging Rap from the front of the boat. I could see both lure and fish on the bow mount locator. Didn't need it when the clouds covered, they'd just smack it. When the sun shone through bites were more tentative and you had to tease 'em up a bit to get 'em to go. A lot like ice fishing... It was interesting because either way tipping did not seem to help. Nice crappies too  ;D

Offline ammondude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2019, 11:04 PM »
Somehow, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea :) I have also wondered about using Jigging Raps in the summer.

Won't be putting holes in any boat, but I do look forward to seeing ice again

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Somehow, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea :) I have also wondered about using Jigging Raps in the summer.

JRs and the like are the bomb during open water! Sure, needs to be the right place and the right time like anything else but at times seem like magic. Check out "snap jigging" for walleyes (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jigging+rap+summer+walleye). That's what I was doing when I found the crappies.

I was out in 12 - 14 FOW catching small 'eyes and perch when I noticed the occasional mark 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down. Being the curious sort I raised the lure (happened to be  Moonshine Shiver minnow) up and got pounded by a 14" crappie. I spent the next 3 hours catching crappies an never changed the lure. I did try tipping it to see if that would help after the sun came out but it really didn't make any difference. Kept a half dozen 12"ers for dinner and let the rest for another day. Because I have a bow mount locator I could see my lure, the fish, their reaction... everything. I was kinda funny because after the sun came out the bite was more of a tentative nibble than an actual strike but they could be teased up and very often would commit. Just like sittin' on a bucket only warmer. This was the week of July 4th.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2019, 09:09 AM »
This is the main reason I bought a panoptix ice bundle   ::) I have a separate open water mount for it, so it’s no longer clamped to my trolling motor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.