Author Topic: Worst injury on ice?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Worst injury on ice?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2022, 12:20 PM »
it didn't happen to me but a guy in our group had a stroke and almost died on the ice.

This was over 20yrs ago. He was an old guy at the time but it did catch me off guard. I had fished with him for over a year at that point. Id drag both our sleds so he didn't have to do it.

He passed away peacefully a few years after that. Leo was a kind man with such a wonderful wife and he taught me a lot about ice fishing.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Fell through in 5 FOW & landed on the side of a Boulder . Thought I broke my ankle & crawled out & off the ice . Turned out to be a severe sprain

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:15 AM »
Had a good 1 yesterday.  Left thumb glove tip got caught in the chuck of my drill somehow.  Started to drill the hole and wound my thumb around the chuck clockwise.  Couldn't release trigger fast enough.  Heard/felt some popping and snapping.  Expected to see my thumb detached when I pulled glove off.  Too my surprise, it was still intact - thumb nail completely black, and I can't bend it for nothing.  Swollen up like a bratwurst.  Amazing how much stuff you need your off hand thumb for  ::)

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:29 AM »
Think pike tooth in my finger likely the worst I ever had. Wiped out a couple times chasing flags on slick ice, thankfully nothing serious happened.
Greatest hits 2022 ice season

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:16 PM »
My worst actual ice i jury was super weird...... I was on saginaw bay solo on foot out if linwood for perch.... Started cutting my first hole an as my broke though i found out why you always check and make sure your auger handle screw is tight.... Bottom comes loose auger spins down and away it goes..... So I grab a tipup with a swedish pimple to fish it out as im only in 7fow.... Finally i hook it by the blade... Took some time i might add... But it came up blade first thats all i had to grab.... Trying to be careful i tried getting the auger through but the hole wansnt cleaned by the auger so the chunks wouldn't let it through.... So i had to yank it.... And sliced my hand wide open.... Caught 13 nice ones that day though lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:23 PM »
Haven't seen it or had it happen but one of my biggest fears is slipping and landing on an exposed auger blade. I cover that up the second I'm done drilling.

My actual worst was on softwater and getting a big 2/0 Rapala XD crankbait hook deep in my thumb.....while still attached to a pissed off 14" SMB. Once I got him off I had to deal with my self and cut the hook out.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:29 PM »
OK, yesterday's mishap seems to top my ice injury list. Trout spit the lure at the hole when I was about to land it, rod was loaded. Good thing I have pliers and bolt cutters in my kit.

Greatest hits 2022 ice season

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:26 AM »
If you're in an area even the slightest amount of cell service, ice fishing without your phone is about the stupidest thing you can do.

I guess I should clarify that to--It is possible to fish with out being on your phone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.