Author Topic: Old timer tricks  (Read 11674 times)

Offline Sandman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loud pipes save lives
Re: Old timer tricks
« Reply #90 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:20 PM »
as an almost old timer feeling like one more often than not, i'll add a lil trick that works at times when the gills are finicky
i toss spikes down the hole sorts like chummin
my guess is more scent and the gills that find and suck em in are more lkely to be fooled by my lousy jigging

DEADMAN, forgot to tell ya, i put the chopper to rest for the winter at DJ's, climate control bro, i can start it and run around his wharehouse anytime and if we get a nice day here, well u know where i'll be
De Opresso Liber
5th Special Forces Airborne..Mobil Launch Team 5
Vietnam

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Dec 24, 2008, 07:30 AM »
I have taken my live bait and slit the tails on them.....it seems to slow them down, they wiggle and don't move as fast....Doug
Northville, NY

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:53 AM »
  I was told by a friend a couple drops of corn oil in the hole will keep it from freezing up and also keep your rod eyes open because of the film on your line.  And corn oil wont hurt anything.
I use salmon liver oil in the same way, not sure if it has attractor properties but My wind jigger will go all day as it lubes the line. You need to keep the hole slush free though or you still get seized up.

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:08 AM »
   Don't take smokes to the lake, roll them there. Apparently they get a kick out of flying rollers. Tying flies works the same, usually as you go to clip Your hackle, a fish is there. On cold days, wrap up with a roadside emergency blanket. Even the lightest sun ray will keep you warm, why don't they use this stuff for snow suits? Tie 4' - 6' of stretchy mono line before Your pike leader, the stretch will absorb the shock on hook sets and prevent stiff braid from breaking, most braided lines actually have this written inside the box, few have read it. Without a fish finder or sonar, watch the shoreline, We always began drilling where there was a cliff or steep hill, generally the underwater will continue the shore structure, then drill every 10' out, once we found fish, we'd drill across from the active hole. For perch, we use to use very hard boiled egg. It has a heavy scent and can be dyed in the water with food coloring.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #94 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Buy a bag of cheap balloons from the dollar store and cut them into any shape and size tail for jigs that you want.With all of the different colors,a bag should last for years....

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #95 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Take along one of those shrimp circles. You know, they're the prepackaged shrimp arranged in a circle with the sauce in the middle. When the fishing gets slow sit in your shanty with your partner and eat all of the shrimp and drink a couple beers. Then just continue fishing.
My uncle was telling me about this just last week and I asked "Really, and then does the fishing get better?". He said "How the heck should I know! It's just a good reason to eat shrimp and drink beer!".

Hats off to the old timers!!!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.