Author Topic: Old timer tricks  (Read 11673 times)

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Old timer tricks
« Reply #60 on: Dec 18, 2008, 05:12 AM »
Okay, here you go....the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf lists six ingredients. It specifies that the second is made from petroleum (oil..very bad for the water). The third one is listed as Low Vapor Pressure Hydrocarbon, which doesn't say much really, but if you look up the Chemical Abstract Number (CAS#), http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html, it is really deodorized kerosene that is made from petroleum (again, oil..very bad for the water). So despite all the notions of it being an attractant, it does nothing more then pollute our waters. Please don't use this stuff around the water. If you think it is good, then maybe we all should start to fish around the ramps and the gas docks since there should be plenty of similar stuff around there and fish galore.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #61 on: Dec 18, 2008, 05:19 AM »
I've used WD-40 many times on rusty bolt and nuts. And twice on wet/damp distributor wires and cap, displaces water, works like a charm! Also to remove a sticker or glue, never would let it near my lures ???
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #62 on: Dec 18, 2008, 05:51 AM »
I will NOT spray WD on my lures, heck, I won't even buy WD40..PB Blaster is way better! Preperation H has shark oil in it i've heard, but I can't bring myself to try that either! :o ::)   
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:19 AM »
Couple of tricks that have always worked for me.
1. Set your pole down and go check on the other shanty's around yours, when you come back your bobber will be 4 feet down the hole.

2.  Look away from your bobber and grab another cold one.  When you open your beer or taking your first pull, you're almost always guaranteed to get a bite.  If not, take another pull off of your fresh beer.  You can catch limits like that once your good at it.

Your so right SetDaHook, everytime I start eating something, thats when I start getting hits. I would have to pull another sled out to carry all the food I need to catch my limit though. lol
One time I had a friend fishing about 30 ft. from me, and he spent more time visiting than he did fishing. Everytime he took off on one of his visits, he would start getting hits, and I would have to bring up the fish for him.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:26 AM »
Another trick for when it is slow is to drop a mulltiblade spinner rig, like one that is used for trolling, Dave Davis, and jig it for a few minutes. Lots of vibrations placed in the hole, then bait your bait back down.

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #65 on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:51 AM »
Find a length of that triangle flag banners like you see at auto dealerships (you know the ones that are different color triangles fastened to a line) tie a weight to one end and send it to the bottom and tie of the other end on top of the ice.  Then fish around it. ;)

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 19, 2008, 01:13 AM »
When spearing for northerns we toss crushed egg shells in the hole with our decoy, and that attracts perch and such which in turn helps attract the pike.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Dec 19, 2008, 02:25 AM »
I hear fish attractant has Preparation H qualities to it.  Good for the hemmies!!!!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:07 AM »
Okay, here you go....the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf lists six ingredients. It specifies that the second is made from petroleum (oil..very bad for the water). The third one is listed as Low Vapor Pressure Hydrocarbon, which doesn't say much really, but if you look up the Chemical Abstract Number (CAS#), http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html, it is really deodorized kerosene that is made from petroleum (again, oil..very bad for the water). So despite all the notions of it being an attractant, it does nothing more then pollute our waters. Please don't use this stuff around the water. If you think it is good, then maybe we all should start to fish around the ramps and the gas docks since there should be plenty of similar stuff around there and fish galore.

I used plenty of attracant in my holes once last year. All I got was a layer of attractant all over my gear, gloves. Stuff stained my woven line too. T'was a pain to clean up. I won't be putting any beer, wd40, vodka, pee, attractant,  etc., down the hole again.         

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #69 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:29 AM »
I have been told that if you chew tobacco you should always spit down your hole...it is supposed to attract the fish, but since i don't chew i have no way of verifying this one.

My Dad has chewed tobacco since he was eight years old (he's 89 now). He has always said you're not supposed to spit, you're supposed to swallow it (and he does!  :sick: ). He also said it's the only thing that's keeping him alive. Mother overheard him saying this and said, "Well if that's what is is then I'm taking it away from you !!!".

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline 1buckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:37 AM »
 The old timer I fish wish carries a coleman stove for his heat source. When the holes start to freeze up, he puts some water in a pot and boils it. Pour it back in your hole and you got a clear hole for little while longer. It also comes in handy when you get hungry.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 19, 2008, 12:50 PM »
The old timer I fish wish carries a coleman stove for his heat source. When the holes start to freeze up, he puts some water in a pot and boils it. Pour it back in your hole and you got a clear hole for little while longer. It also comes in handy when you get hungry.
  Tap water or bottled water....   there are allegedly pollutants in our tap water!!!!   KIDDING GUYS!!   See if there's an msds on tap water!!  I personally agree with not using the wd40. 

Offline capnhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:58 PM »
My pop used to put in the hole, a jar with a dozen minnows in it. The minnows would swim around inside the jar. The crappies or perch would stick around the minnows. Capnhook

Offline travo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • south dakota's worst icefisherman
« Reply #73 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:44 PM »
once, quite a few years ago when i was first married, i just had to get out fishing. no bait shops anywhere close by and i didnt have that much time. I reasoned that the squiggly noodles in my wifes salad would look like worms and figgerd i'd give them a try. I pitched em out, rigged under a bobber, and the oil from the salad dressing made a rainbow-like streak in the water. while i dont think the noodles-as-worms approach worked, i could see the crappies follow the oil slick trail right into the bait. slaughtered em that night, and fished every last bit of that salad. havent tried it since, guess i forgot till now. gotta go, fishing tommorrow, and gonna have the wife whip up a salad!!

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #74 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:36 PM »
drill all your holes and take a bait and smuch it between your fingers and then halndle your lures..ive had sucess in the summer with dipping bait in cinimon.. ive tryed wd 40 and it actually slows the fishin...it also tastes like crap...

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #75 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:43 PM »
My Dad has chewed tobacco since he was eight years old (he's 89 now). He has always said you're not supposed to spit, you're supposed to swallow it (and he does!  :sick: ). He also said it's the only thing that's keeping him alive. Mother overheard him saying this and said, "Well if that's what is is then I'm taking it away from you !!!".

:tipup:
NBG
WOW He's chewed for a long time!! And he swallows. WOW  I'll try spitting in the hole next time I go out and seeing if it brings in the fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 20, 2008, 12:27 AM »
WOW He's chewed for a long time!! And he swallows. WOW  I'll try spitting in the hole next time I go out and seeing if it brings in the fish
Just a memo that me and my buddy fish a pak shack III early ice until it's thick enough to drag the shack out.  The inside of the shack looks like the steps of an early eighties major league dugout.  (pak shack has no floor)  A lot of it goes into the hole and doesn't seem to help or hinder.  My moms uncle would collect grasshoppers in his empty Copenhagen tins while he was working the fields and throw several tins in the truck.  When he drove past the creek between his fields, he would re-bait his set lines and swear it was the cope that attracted the fat cats and bullheads.   WHO KNOWS???

Offline hardwater347

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • my under sized musky just ate ur trophy bass
« Reply #77 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:52 AM »
perch love skoal cherry.

i used to swollow the spit while i chewed in school,id have heart burn so that night at home. >:(

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:00 AM »
My grandfather and his friends would tie on a small bell, like the one from a cat toy. They would use that while jigging for lakers and cusk. Wouldn't have believed it til I saw it work with my own eyes.

I cut up my  dead minnows and send them down when it gets slow. Usually works as well as trying to get something to eat or drink.

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #79 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:27 AM »
My gramps chewed till he passed at 97 and he was a swallower never had a spit cup I remember grama yellin at him every time she found one of his used up chews in her flower pots!!Also went to school wiith a guy that used copenhagen and would swallow if he was inside worst smellin farts ever!!
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline theurbanfishermen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fat smalley just before freze over!
« Reply #80 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:05 AM »

Vodka is one of the best!!!!

I'm a fishing addict

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:52 AM »
The oil from a can of Anchovies!  ;)

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:55 AM »
Couple of tricks that have always worked for me.
1. Set your pole down and go check on the other shanty's around yours, when you come back your bobber will be 4 feet down the hole.

2.  Look away from your bobber and grab another cold one.  When you open your beer or taking your first pull, you're almost always guaranteed to get a bite.  If not, take another pull off of your fresh beer.  You can catch limits like that once your good at it.
[/quotAdd to that:
3. Get up to take a leak and you'll get bit
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Dec 21, 2008, 10:18 AM »
improvise! if nothing's biting, either play a game or make another setup without a rod , namely take as much line as you need tie a jig to the end, and then jig with your finger for a while, it works even better than the marmish rods.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 21, 2008, 02:29 PM »
improvise! if nothing's biting, either play a game or make another setup without a rod , namely take as much line as you need tie a jig to the end, and then jig with your finger for a while, it works even better than the marmish rods.
Do you still have all of your fingers???

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is what we do and when we do it.
« Reply #85 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:04 PM »
I just reached fifty so my opinion counts now

1  Chummin- Smash minnows up and chuck em down the hole
    2 Sound and movement-Tap rod against boot regularly. Rip rod up and flutter slowly down
    3 Ice fly- tie to jig hook and suspend small nymph below 2inches under jig. Killer when slow
    4 Never, I repeat never fish with out beer. Fish sense a party and want to come up and join in.
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline Sandman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #86 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:49 PM »
OOOPS,
i thought this thread was about an old hooker
De Opresso Liber
5th Special Forces Airborne..Mobil Launch Team 5
Vietnam

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #87 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:18 PM »
OOOPS,
i thought this thread was about an old hooker

haha, what the heck

Offline blackhawks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:01 AM »
I don't know if this one had been mentioned and there are 7 pages of posts...so if it has, sorry for the inconvenience.  As with many of you, I like using the Strikemaster Bait Pucks for my waxies and spikes.  I take a small piece of paper towel, put just a little bit of pure Anise oil on the paper towel and then put it on top of the wood shavings prior to putting the top back on.  Your bait will take on the smell of the Anise and this is what some plastic manufacturers use on their products, i.e., Little Atom.  At times, the waxies will gather just below the paper towel....perhaps it is intoxicating as well !!  Give it a shot.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:57 PM »
SANDMAN, U BUST MY BALLS...GOOD TIME TODAY BRO
Ditto's about the Harley bit!!!  I'll be darned, ice fishing could get better. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.