Author Topic: First time with the Marcum  (Read 1347 times)

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
First time with the Marcum
« on: Jan 30, 2008, 07:49 AM »
My old man just picked up a refurbished vx-1. I never thought I would need a flasher due to the fact that I usually don't have a problem catching fish. There are those days, though, that I have my problems. I'm sold. I understand that this model is there cheapest, but it impressed the h*## out of me. I'm 100% sure that I wouldn't have caught as many fish as I did if I didn't have it with me. My question is, does anybody know how well this model is at drowning out surrounding units? I usually fish away from the crowds, but sometimes you have to get closer to the others.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: First time with the Marcum
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:31 AM »
A lot of people learn an expensive lesson when they spend big $$$ on electronics. That's when they find out that a flasher or a camera or any other tool for that matter won't make them catch fish. These things will put them on the fish but they still need to learn how to catch them. I have invited people to slide right in next to me on a good day and they still can't catch any more fish than they were at their own spots. Technique is 95% of the battle and sounds like you have covered that part of it first (smart move on your part!).
That VX-1 will only get you on the fish faster. Have fun with your new toy!!!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Crappiekeith

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:31 AM »
You should have there patented inteference rejection modes.
Make sure the ducer is below the ice. Make sure the puck is clean,I always wet it then wipe it off with my hand.Last ,but not the least keep your gain as low as possible .These keys will help reduce interference.

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:45 AM »
It does have the interference rejection mode. It definitely does help being able to catch fish before you have one. Your right it's all in the presentation.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline 68Goat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:03 AM »
I have the LX-3 and there are numerous settings for the interference reduction.
Just keep pushing the button until you find the best setting.  I was on Lake of the woods this last weekend with 3 other guys in an 8 x 12 rental house 3 marcums and 1 vex, I was able to tune out the vast majority of the interference after scrolling(pushing the button) through the different IR settings.   Basically I just went through them all and then went through them again to get to the best one.

They are great units.  Definitely keep your ducer below the ice and clean as well, that helps.

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:18 AM »
The first few times I used my vx1 I was in a large shack with an fl8 and an fl18. In water over 15 feet it was a little tough to get rid of all the noise but under that depth it wasn't much problem to get it looking pretty normal.
I think you will always be able to tell there are others around but if you are more then 10 feet away you should always be able to get it fishable.

btw The reconditioned vx1's are a great deal. I sure like mine. I've used a flasher for years and even though this one is their bargin unit it does everthing I want it to do.

Tim

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:20 AM »
They really shine when you fish for suspended fish like crappie or blueback.   Many times when Im fishing perch on the bottom I see a fish at ten feet, and come up and catch a bonus trout that I would have never caught with out the flasher...

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:10 AM »
Marcum...Marcum...Marc um :clap:

Percheyes42...you are now officially a part of the Marcum Forever Family!

I own both a Vex FL-18 and Marcum LX-5 and let's just say the Vex is for friends that don't have elecrtonics.
I love my Vex, but I am in love with my Marcum ;D
I am purchasing another LX-5 next fall if Marcum doesn't come out with a LX-7...I may have heard some rumors ::)

Crappiekeith

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Marcum...Marcum...Marcum :clap:

Percheyes42...you are now officially a part of the Marcum Forever Family!

I own both a Vex FL-18 and Marcum LX-5 and let's just say the Vex is for friends that don't have elecrtonics.
I love my Vex, but I am in love with my Marcum ;D
I am purchasing another LX-5 next fall if Marcum doesn't come out with a LX-7...I may have heard some rumors ::)

Same boat here only my old one is an 8.Well old 2 really,but I gave my dad my oldest one.
I bought the LX3tc this year and I'll get me the LX5 next year.

Working the water column has never been easier with a flasher.
Reading the fish's mood and matching what it wants makes a flasher the most valuable piece of equipment I have.
I use them in the summer too for a real time expierence keeping me on the breaks as I troll.

I used to support Vexilar with all of my being until I found that fishing in and amoung several other flashers, the interference could not be washed away.
I fish with a very small bait and too turn my gain up would just about shut me down around other flashers.
Now it is way different having a clear dial.
Marcum's rock.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Your Dad's a smart man Jared ;D..  I think this unit really gives you alot for the dollar.  I'm just glad MarCum hasn't run out of these yet. I have fished the VX-1 around other sonars and can tell you it's no LX-3 or LX-5 in deflecting interference but you can usually get it so that it's fishable around other units.  Does anyone know how many refurbed units fishing pro store has left?  

AugustWest - Not another LX-5 ;D   Easy on the LX-7 I'm still testing it ::) ;)2
Tim Rogers

Crappiekeith

« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:41 PM »
[quote AugustWest - Not another LX-5 ;D   Easy on the LX-7 I'm still testing it ::) ;)2
[/quote]

If you need an extra tester........I can give you my address.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:54 PM »
Keith :nono: :roflmao:
Tim Rogers

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to buy a refurbished vx-1, if they have any left, just to get me through the rest of the season. I'll save up some coin and upgrade next year. Boy are these fish in trouble now. Tight lines and keep afloat.

Crappiekeith

« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Great thinking!!! ;D

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2008, 05:52 PM »
if you wanna catch fish one must think like a fish!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:43 AM »
I think so much like a fish that I'm starting to sprout some gills and my legs are fusing together. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.