Author Topic: Do you fish alone?  (Read 11851 times)

Offline stickle

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Do you fish alone?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:49 AM »
sure do, but if i didnt live on a lake, i prolly wouldnt.  i usually end up fishing alone in the morning, as my fishing buddy doesnt show up until 10:00 or so.  just in time to start mixing the drinks.

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:06 AM »
50/50
 But when I fish alone.  I prefer to be by myself.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:00 AM »
I usually fish by myself but I'm rarely the only one on the ice.  The lakes here in Northern Illinois get a lot of daily fishing pressure so if you're the only one on the lake, the conditions are probably so poor you shouldn't be out there.

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 06, 2007, 01:09 PM »
I usually bring the kids out.  I figure more tip-ups, the more chances of catching fish, and when we bring the grill, and football...we make a full day of fishing.

Big W
Big W

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:55 PM »
I fish alone quite a bit. Partly because I am new to the area, and partly because the friends I have that do fish don't like to fish out of portables anymore. They prefer the comfort of their Ice Castles.
When I spear I usually end up going with at least one other guy because I can only spear on the week ends due to no sunlight left after I get off of work and we 3 of us from work usually go together.
Whn the ice get over 2 feet thick I have no choice but to spear with my buddy because I only have a 24" bar for my chainsaw and he has a 36" for his.  I did saw through 26" if ice with my hand saw once, but by the time I got done I was so exhausted I just fell asleep in the darkhouse!

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:21 PM »
I do ice fish alone most of the time.  There are times when it would be nice to have some one around, but there just isn't that many people around here that ice fishes.  On first ice and last ice sometimes I go alone but I will not go out on the lake unless there are other fisherman out there.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:29 PM »

Do you fish alone?

only when by myself... hmmm...

~ G

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:51 PM »
a lot of times I'll go out w/ a couple of buddies and everyone is fishing for a short while or only during prime time. Then they are preoccupied with putting down a few beers first and yuking it up. While that's ok they'll forget about fishing and start kicking things around trying to get out of the shanty to get rid of the beer, making noise hee hawing around, dead minnows on the bottom.  I'll join for a while and take off drilling holes and working my way out a 100yds or so. I'll come back in an hour or 2 to join the fun, but when it's with a fish or to get some more bait they're like "Why didn't you tell me you found some fish or structure?"

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:56 PM »
I usually fish with others not that I don't like being alone but the guys I fish with go to fish. My sister's boyfriend wanted to fish with me over the 4th of July weekend after telling me how much he loved fishing and did it so much. I let him and his buddies tag along and come to find out they were clueless. It was like fishing with a 5 year old. Good thing is when it comes to ice fishing a lot of guys don't bother to come with because they figure it is too cold. They don't realize we use a shanty which has a heater and if that's not enough we have a cooler stocked of beer. But hey their loss.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #69 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:18 PM »
50/50
 But when I fish alone.  I prefer to be by myself.

Not unlike George Thorogood!

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #70 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:31 PM »
used to fish alone alot, but have recently found a couple other fishing freaks like myself that like to fish 4 or5 times a week or more!!!!! ;D so i have had partners most of the time,that is nice actually ;D :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:42 PM »
I fish alone all the time. Besides, most of my friends think I'm nuts because I ice fish.
There is nothing like getting out on the ice,dragging your sled through the peace and quite
with the cool air hitting your face. Once set up, to sip a hot cup of coffee, jig a line and just
be by yourself with your thoughts and peace of mind.... Nothing like it...

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:35 PM »
^  What he said, nothing beats it.   :laugh:

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 09, 2007, 02:52 PM »
If you fish with others your chances of You getting the big one are dived by the number of people your with its true 90 percent of my lagest fish i was alone when i brougt people with me they seem to capitilize on my many hours of research.

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 09, 2007, 03:29 PM »
Im retired for 5 years and fish a lot, many times i fish alone and can explor new areas or that my not allow you to do with company, but having a good friend that has the same interest as you is priceless, and you can share the experence with.  When i was working i often would walk out on the ice to just talk to fishermen and see what is going on, not necessarly to fish.  Now that i'm out allmost all the time
i enjoy the company.  If you want to meet friends on the ice just cook hot dogs and sourkrout, and offer some to the guys around you and will get many friends on the ice.

Offline Pittsfield Pike Preditor

• IceShanty Rookie
  • drill em and fill em
« Reply #75 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:04 PM »
No way!!! The voices in my head start up if im alone!!!!! ;)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #76 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:11 PM »
No way!!! The voices in my head start up if im alone!!!!! ;)
i hear ya i dont fish alone by choice. my wife and children mofish jr and the girls are real troopers,most of my buddies are really competitve and its not fun. i try to share my success with others. to date i have givin' a few 5lb bass to people fishin around or with me,its a joy to know that we all can be suceesful    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline rchaze60

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they are down there.... they will come up
« Reply #77 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:16 PM »
i am new to minnesota .... only been here for 2 yrs and this my first ice fishing year so I am always looking for someone to go out with  i have my own  portable and everything i need i hope lol  so if anyone lives down just south of the cities and you wanna go fishin just let me know

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:53 PM »
I always go out alone if I can't find someone to go with.  I just don't have too many friends that like to venture out on the ice.  I actually like it better that way the majority of the time.  Nothings worse than taking someone out to the lake and them wanting to leave because they are cold or bored because they are not catching enough for their liking. :%$#!:
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 10, 2007, 04:57 PM »
I fish alone most of the time. My job allows me to be off all winter and none of my buddies have that luxury.
Dave

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:40 PM »
 I fishalot alone. I work three on three off so I fish 3 or4 times a week on a slow week. It's hard to find guys to go when I have time off.
Let the little one\\\\\\\'s grow

Offline pikeferret

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:04 PM »
i always fish with my dad. ive only fished alone once. im sure i will get out by myself this year because i have my liscence and will have more days to fish than he will. but i prefer to fish with my dad. :D
Randall Dillinder
Team"First Ice"
<><   }`)))))))))))))))><(

NAD42

« Reply #82 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:37 PM »
if whoever is supposed to meet me at the park and ride is 1 minute late...I fish alone...on...THE KING!!

Offline zgoz89

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The bone collector
« Reply #83 on: Dec 10, 2007, 11:43 PM »
I always enjoy fising with my dad or friends but it makes sense that you would do some of your best fishing

when your alone and you can supply your Tips with your undivided attention.
A Couple Reasons Why Fishing is Better Than Sex!

1. Nobody expects you to Fish with the same partner for the rest of your life

2. There are no Fishing-transmitted diseases.

3. If your partner takes pictures or videotapes of you Fishing,you don't have to worry about them showing up on the Internet if you become famous.

4. It's perfectly respectable to Fish with a total stranger.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #84 on: Dec 11, 2007, 12:38 AM »
I usually go out by myself open water or icefishing. Now I moved out to AZ and if I mention icefishing,  people think I'm nuts or something.   I'm not too crazy about being alone out there, but good luck finding someone to go along.  I just have my ice grips, play it safe and did not go through yet  ;D

Offline mountainscout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:42 PM »
I used to ice fish alone, but don't really do it anymore. To me, ice fishing is just as much about hanging out and having a good time with your buddies(and drinking beer) as it is about catching fish. When I am fly fishing, however, I prefer to do it alone. It takes too much concentration, plus you need 2 hands...maybe a beer helmet would help?

Offline ThirstyM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:58 PM »
I prefer company but on days when it's not available I won't sit home I'll just go out alone.

Offline Bukshot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #87 on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:03 PM »
I have gone out several times by myself, but prefer to have the comeraderie of others, friends, family etc.  It's kind of odd because I bowhunt a lot for deer and I always consider myself a loner.  I enjoy the quiet solitude of a high treestand in the fall and winter.  Yet when icefishing I like to be around others and cook on the grill, run for tipups, have a few beers etc.  I never have as much fun by myself on the ice.  I guess safety is also a concern.

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #88 on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:08 PM »
I fish both ways, alone or with a crowd....  like others have said, I find that I am more attentive to my gear when I am alone and usually end up with a better Fish to Flag ratio.....   I like to socialize with the group and sometime checking my bait every so often sometimes changes to every couple hours and then the Flag number takes a big hit......
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #89 on: Dec 11, 2007, 06:09 PM »
Being fairly new to my area and not one to make friends quickly I find myself alone most of the time but my kids like to ice fish and always come along,when they can.
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.