Author Topic: Quick poll: Fish w/ or w/o sonar  (Read 3409 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Quick poll: Fish w/ or w/o sonar
« Reply #60 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:39 AM »
I can fish without my Vexilar flasher ...but I can catch fish with my Vexilar flasher  ;)
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:49 AM »
I like to use sonar on lakes where only two poles are allowed because I tend to sit in one place. But in lakes where I'm allowed  six lines I barly ever use it.
Come on fish!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:03 AM »
Yes, flasher.  But sometimes I let my partner that doesn't have one, use mine, and I go without it for a spell.  I still do pretty well without it.

FrankM

« Reply #63 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:07 AM »
No electronics for ice fishing yet. Somehow I manage to catch enough fish without them.

Offline jstruck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Yes.  Flasher. It spoils you. After having one, it is tough to go without.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:13 AM »
yes....started this year.....marcum showdown :o
   how do you like the marcum showdown

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:46 AM »
1/ Yes
2/ Flasher

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:25 AM »
I use a sonar.  It is a flasher( Marcum VX-1P) Its the cheapest one Marcum makes but it gets the job done for me.  I like it mostly just to show if there are fish below me or not, and I don't need an expensive LX-9 for what I use mine for.

And I think you are right in saying Ice Shanty isn't an accurate representation.  I have 3 buddies I regularly fish with(four counting myself.) Of us four, only two of us own flashers, and use two that own flashers use Ice Shanty. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Just to add.. Like I said I used sonar for 20 years and have given it up..

I found it to be very frustrating on some days, you would mark fish and try to get them to bite.. If nothing bites, I would find myself cutting off jigs that were known producers to try, eventually, everything in the box and still no bites... Fast forward 15 years... Then they came out with underwater cameras and I thought now I'll really know what's going on... Yep you guessed it, there were fish down there! Still couldn't get them to bite..

Then it happened... 2011, the ice was so thin I went out with the least amount of stuff possible, including electronics.. Just a spud, a couple schooleys, and some waxies.. Had some of my best known producing jigs on and tried a few different spots.. Finally got into them and I slayed em! That was in my area, only a 2 week season, for a lighter weight person.. Most guys never got out that year around here.. That 2 weeks was some of the best fishing I ever had...

The next season (2012) back to my same old tactics, sonar, camera, cutting off jigs that usually work to try something else.. After a few weeks of that I started to remember how good I did without electronics the last year.. So I started leaving them home, and I started getting limits again! So I have gone without since..

I have realized that just because your marking fish, and even seeing them, means nothing if they are not feeding in that area...

I have since found hole hopping like a mad man, with a couple good producing jigs, at least for me, will out produce hitting only 1/3 the number of holes with all the equipment..

Since then, I have also been in spots pulling bull gills in numbers and someone with a sonar comes nearby and the bite shuts down except for dinks.. They get bored and leave and the bulls start up again.. This is in 8fow... I think the bigger sunfish can get turned off by sonar sometimes... Here is an interesting thread about the first day I came to that realization..

Titled "Vex Hex?"

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453364

I know I am going against the grain of the ice fishing society here but I like catching the most and biggest fish I can, so there.... Will there be exceptions where a sonar might have made a difference, sure, but those are exceptions and rare for me.. If the fish aren't biting and your jigging and presentation are well executed, a camera and sonar wont help a bit! IMO electronics just add weight and take up time, and possibly turn off fat pumpkins! lol...

So there...

<*)))>{

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:33 PM »

Thanks for your rationale, as most of us that have improved our hookup rate are probably wondering why you'd ever give it up. 

People have caught fish long before sonar was invented, so you are right that it isn't necessary for success.  In my case I fish water columns as deep as 120' which often precludes assuming that the fish will reside at a specific depth. Yesterday one person caught a single fish whereas I was able to locate them between 45-60' and happened to catch my limit.  They were not using sonar so unfortunately they had to rely on educated guesses to find fish.

Sonar certainly doesn't guarantee fish, but in certain conditions it is an important component to improving catch rate.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:44 PM »

I found it to be very frustrating on some days, you would mark fish and try to get them to bite.. If nothing bites, I would find myself cutting off jigs that were known producers to try, eventually, everything in the box and still no bites... Fast forward 15 years... Then they came out with underwater cameras and I thought now I'll really know what's going on... Yep you guessed it, there were fish down there! Still couldn't get them to bite..

Then it happened... 2011, the ice was so thin I went out with the least amount of stuff possible, including electronics.. Just a spud, a couple schooleys, and some waxies.. Had some of my best known producing jigs on and tried a few different spots.. Finally got into them and I slayed em! That was in my area, only a 2 week season, for a lighter weight person.. Most guys never got out that year around here.. That 2 weeks was some of the best fishing I ever had...

The next season (2012) back to my same old tactics, sonar, camera, cutting off jigs that usually work to try something else.. After a few weeks of that I started to remember how good I did without electronics the last year.. So I started leaving them home, and I started getting limits again! So I have gone without since..

I have realized that just because your marking fish, and even seeing them, means nothing if they are not feeding in that area...

I have since found hole hopping like a mad man, with a couple good producing jigs, at least for me, will out produce hitting only 1/3 the number of holes with all the equipment..

Since then, I have also been in spots pulling bull gills in numbers and someone with a sonar comes nearby and the bite shuts down except for dinks.. They get bored and leave and the bulls start up again.. This is in 8fow... I think the bigger sunfish can get turned off by sonar sometimes... Here is an interesting thread about the first day I came to that realization..

Titled "Vex Hex?"

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453364

I know I am going against the grain of the ice fishing society here but I like catching the most and biggest fish I can, so there.... Will there be exceptions where a sonar might have made a difference, sure, but those are exceptions and rare for me.. If the fish aren't biting and your jigging and presentation are well executed, a camera and sonar wont help a bit! IMO electronics just add weight and take up time, and possibly turn off fat pumpkins! lol...

So there...

<*)))>{

<*)))>{
.                                 I wouldn't know what to do if I caught more fish, have plenty now, some think they can't fish without, its all in their head, you can catch fish without just like before!  Spending time in a hole trying to catch a fish that will not bite is the biggest mistake I see, work the hole up and down twice and move!  I get out fished very few times with flasher guys I fish with, I'm always on move looking for aggressive fish!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:55 PM »
work the hole up and down twice and move!  I get out fished very few times with flasher guys I fish with, I'm always on move looking for aggressive fish!!

That's about it for me as well... A minute, maybe two.. Then move..

I'll actually drill about 15 holes before I even drop a line unless there are a bunch of abandoned open holes...

<*)))>{

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Another video game for adults!! I guess I'm OLD SCHOOL!!!!

Offline milo44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:02 PM »
yes flasher and love it :)

Offline Muskietim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Yes both son-in-law finally bought a sonar so now I can use both when he is not around.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Another video game for adults!! I guess I'm OLD SCHOOL!!!!

Hahaha! Totally!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Yes. Flasher. If the battery quits I go home.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Flasher for 4 yrs, just bought a sonar
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Flasher for 4 yrs, just bought a sonar

Flashers and graphs are both sonar.. Same stuff, just different ways to interpret the "pings"....

<*)))>{

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:06 PM »
Yes and have used one for over 40yrs. Got over 30 years out of my Green Box and actually miss it

Offline Zhitnik44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:49 AM »
I use a Marcus lx7, it has both flasher and graph, i prefer to watch the flasher mode. Using some type of electronics is definitely an advantage to not using.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:10 AM »
1. Yes
2. Flasher

I primarily target walleye and perch (northern pike are also present) on a lake with plenty of structure at depths up to about 40 ft, but typically from 20 to 30 ft. The narrow 8 degree beam of my LX-5 significantly reduces the 'dead zone' when fishing drop-offs. I use the 20 degree beam on flats unless I'm in close proximity to other anglers over deeper water ... really don't want to see their lure action.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:20 AM »
yes, flasher.

I got a couple graph's for lending out.

Offline glenm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Yes, Humminbird ICE 45.

Offline 12aapoda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:43 AM »
yes...with flasher

Offline multispeciesangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:24 AM »
Yes - Vex - can't leave home without it!

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:43 PM »
1.  Yes
2. flasher

what is and what should never be

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Yes Vexilar FL-20
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:53 PM »
YES - a Showdown Dual Beam since 2012 and won't fish without it ever again.

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:56 PM »
yes vex fl20 would rather go with out a pole than a flasher.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.