Author Topic: Ice fishing, a preference?  (Read 3480 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing, a preference?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 27, 2013, 06:24 AM »
exactly.i live and breath ice fishing ,already dreading the end and its only Dec. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline PikeKing2323

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:26 AM »
Yeah but I do love ice fishing. It's tied up with the summer trolling. Nothing gets me for excited than flag up early in the morning or seeing the vex light up light like a Christmas tree!

Offline laker24taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:43 AM »
centerpin fishing rivers all year round.. but ice is an extremely close second followed by deer hunting and soft water with the boat.... this time of year I'm torn between steelhead and my shanty
(img)http://i44.tinypic.com/2e5k1s2.jpeg(img)

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:37 AM »
The only time I get on the water is when I can walk on it.   ;D

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Im a four season guy. Every season brings something that I look forward to. In the winter, Ice fishing is that thing. Spring comes and I fly fish for trout. Summer is for Saltwater. I spend the fall split between more fly fishing and hunting. I could give reasons why I prefer any of them, but I much rather just wake up in the morning and have an excuse to say "Its a good day for fishing" 365 days a year!

This about sums it up for me. There is always something to look forward too.
I love all fishing and my other hobbies too. Hunting in the fall for game big and small including ducks. Saltwater fishing in the summer. Catching Salmon on the rivers in the summer and fall. There is always something to look forward to.
 Ice fishing is a part of winter I will never give up and I certainly don't see myself moving anywhere there isn't icefishing.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline bufalobiker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 27, 2013, 01:36 PM »
gotta go with hard water great exersize ;)

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:08 AM »
Man I can't Belive non of you guys do any offshore.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #67 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:15 AM »
I do... I have been guiding the salt, including offshore for years...

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:43 AM »
Well at least I'm not alone lol idk where athol is I'm in ct I issually trailer the boat up and fish the cape for BFT a few times a year and some cod trips were not lucky enough down here to get the tuna and cod in close like you guys.

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 28, 2013, 02:57 AM »
Gott'a say, I agree with an earlier comment.  I think about ice fish'n during the spring, summer and fall (and winter if the ice isn't safe)!  OK, maybe "think about" isn't really the right way to describe it, rather I seem to "crave" ice fishing!  don't get me wrong, I  like all seasons for fishing, just not to the extent of my love of  the hard water!  I plan, ponder, wish, daydream, and spend way more money on my ice fishing addiction, than anything else!  I'll drive 10.5 hours to get to a good ice fishing outing, without even thinking about it.  Can't say that for soft water.  I like my boat, but I like my ice better!  It is just that, an addiction!!! ;D

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:08 AM »
Bowfishing first,  Ice fishing second and finally regular fishing bringing up the rear
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Man I can't Belive non of you guys do any offshore.

I do as well. I have a 23' saltwater boat for fishing Halibut, salmon, rockfish, lingcod etc.
I don't do it in winter though just too much hassle with the cold and our icy roads.
I also like the fact that I can hit the ice for as little or as long as I want.
It is over an hours drive to my favorite saltwater port and pretty much an all day affair with the big boat.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:30 PM »
I love to ice fish,I fish in the summer that is OK but ice fishing is something like no other.    Fat Fish

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #73 on: Dec 28, 2013, 02:29 PM »
Fly fishing is my favorite. I even spend days when I can go ice fishing; standing in a river waving a stick. That being said, ice fishing is a close second. There's something about walking on water an literally standing ontop of the fish
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 28, 2013, 02:50 PM »
I fish anytime,golf consumes my summer months so the winter is free to hard water fish.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 28, 2013, 02:57 PM »
I would have to say ice fishing is my favorite hobby.  I am in Georgia sitting in 66 degrees pig hunting checking ice shanty for our local ice reports.  This is pretty fun but I rather be in my shanty with my 8 year old.   

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:00 PM »
It's tough to say. Spring and fall my wife and I have our raft on water ever river whenever we can. Summer we hike and fish mountain lakes. Starting first freeze every winter I am a junky for ice fishing.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:45 PM »
With the exception of river Smallies on a fly rod Icefishing is my favorite type of fishing. If the weather is right in winter I'll go after Coyotes first, but the weather often doesn't co-operate so it's icefishing 10-1

Offline wetboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:52 PM »
Love eating panfish, so much tastier in the winter.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:19 AM »
the fish definitely taste better ;D

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:00 AM »

My theory on that is, they taste better because it is the only time of the year most folks pull fish out of the water and put them on ice.  I believe that if you ice your summer fish promptly they taste just as good.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Rizzman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:06 AM »
fish for bass when the water is soft and fish for panfish thru the ice. Ice is very rewarding and relaxing , but so is open water fishing.  SO i guess i just love to fish !!!

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:30 AM »
If I was as successful fishing open water as I am on ice, I might be more excited about doing it, but there is no doubt that I wait all summer for the ice to begin.  Highlight of the year for me.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:37 AM »
nite time walleye fishing, deer hunting, fresh water fishing, ocean fishing, great ways to pass the time, all have one thing in common, spending hours upon hours waiting for 3 min of action. I wouldn't trade it in for nothing lol. All the memories and good times, ....priceless...

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:28 AM »
My theory on that is, they taste better because it is the only time of the year most folks pull fish out of the water and put them on ice.  I believe that if you ice your summer fish promptly they taste just as good.
I am afraid I just don't agree with that I have iced them right away and I don't think they taste quite the same especially bass.but that's just me.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:39 PM »
fishing is my passion, so whether it's ice fishing, open water fishing, fly fishing, or deep sea fishing, i want to be out there doing it.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 29, 2013, 01:11 PM »
It's a toss up for me between hunting and icefishing.  Soft water fishing is just something to do when I can't do the others.

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:34 AM »
If I were to go by the amount of times I take the boat out versus the times out ice fishing, ice fishing wins hands down.

I think someone else said it, Summer is overrated!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Pretty sure there are more ice fishing people then summer fishermen on this site. I do both but I don't get as excited in the summer to go out.
<===Lefty===

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:55 AM »

Amen.... Ice time is definitely the time to stock the freezer. They just taste amazing when they come through the ice!
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.