Author Topic: Ice fishing, a preference?  (Read 3466 times)

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing, a preference?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I like whatever season it is the best.... Except spring.,.... I hate spring...

Wow.  Spring is my #1 trout fishing time.  A spring morning in the boat or a late fall deer hunt, that's about a tie.   But ice fishing is an extremely close second to those.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Or he doesn't have much of a care for running out tons of line, or down riggers, or trolling endlessly.  I don't mind doing any of those things at certain times, but I surely have no love for it.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Ice fishing rules! I have a boat and really enjoy it but ice rocks. Being able to move around easier, the camaraderie between ice fishermen, no offense but less water traffic, and I can go to another lake without having to wash a boat first. I ALWAYS wash my boat between lakes so I am not bringing any unwanted "Critters" to the second lake.

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Panfishing in the winter, mostly catfishing spring summer and fall. Don't know that I prefer one over the other, but I like ice more and more every year it seems. And I don't have to waste fishing time cutting grass or weeding the garden.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline Exeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:50 PM »
If there is ice thick enough to safely ice fish on I prefer it over soft water.  No matter the weather in the winter, -30 below and 25 mph winds, I can get comfortable in the pick-up, flip over, or perm. Might not catch much but it is relaxing even with my son with me.  In the summer every time I hit days off the wind will start screaming making fishing a pain in the butt and anything but relaxing with a two year old in the boat and big rollers shoving the boat around.  Oh and like everyone else I hate bugs but the wind really sucks in western ND. 
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - - - Benjamin Franklin

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 26, 2013, 04:42 AM »
I have boat...prefer ice fishing

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:05 AM »
I love fishing all year every chance I get but being on the ice is the best time to catch the fish I like to eat Crappie perch and gills. I will fish for anything that will bite a hook but the only fish I keep are those three there and hardwater is when I catch the most.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:08 AM »
I do some soft water but the hard water is the best. I just think of all the times that my Dad and I had went,and now it is my Son and I. And it is that thing about pulling a fish out of a hole,that just makes me want to go even more.

Offline Derrick NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:16 AM »
Would have to be something like #1 ice fishing hands down, #2 Spring bass/crappie, #3 Fly fishing spring/Fall

A person will sometimes devote all his life to the development of one part of his body - the wishbone
- Robert Frost -

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:55 AM »
I'm a 4 season outdoorsman/fisherman as well, but there's something magical about getting out on a frozen lake. From the crunching noise of snow crumbling under your feet, the cold air filling your lungs, the sound of an auger cutting thru ice, setting up traps, flags popping,  fine tuning your jigging techniques, watching the fish rise and then the hit, man I could go on and on....yeah....I prefer the ice over pretty much everything else! Tight lines! :icefish:

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:18 AM »
when it comes to fishing, I love fishing from a small boat as I work weedy edges and lilypads. In the summer I fish early morning and evening and it's fun to get out on a lake at night and fish topwater by sound or with a lantern for crappie. Flyfishing an evening hatch or casting bass bugs or tossing a long flashy streamer for pike with a heavy fly rod can't easily be beaten. But as far as I'm concerned... HARD WATER RULES!   :tipup: ;D

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #41 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:22 AM »
I like ice fishing just as much as time in the boat, it's about being out there in nature, I don't hunt..... so fishing and woodworking are my go to hobbies. But I have to agree.....no bugs while ice fishing....that's nice.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #42 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:29 AM »
This is a tough question.  I just love to fish and will fish when I can.  An easier question would be do you like to ice fish or hunt more...ICE FISH ;D

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I have a boat and I love fishing period.but I would take ice hands down not really sure the reasons just love it so much have looked into moving more north to have more of it but the weather that makes a lot of ice also hurts my profession as a mason :icefish:flllaaaaaggggggggg

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:00 AM »
I prefer ice fishing.  Most years I get my biggest fish of the year through the Ice.  I think the relatively short and unpredictable ice season adds to the appeal.  I always feel lucky whenever I can get out. 

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 26, 2013, 11:48 AM »
I think the relatively short and unpredictable ice season adds to the appeal.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         you may be right there but I sure would like to have so much ice I would get tired of it.            nahhhhh :tipup:

Offline hogan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 26, 2013, 12:56 PM »
   I understand this is an ice water fishing site and would be followed by some hard core ice anglers---------- but I believe some of you replying to this thread  are just caught up in the season. Most of the serious fisherman I know would never trade open water for ice. The endless possibilities of open water, compared to staring at a hole in the ice, has to win out for the vast majority of fishermen.
     I love ice fishing also, but let's face it, for most of us it's the only game in town.
          OK let the bashing commence.
                                                                  Hogan 

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:36 PM »
that is what is so nice about IS the different opinions and point of views thank god everyone is not the same.flaaaaaaaaaaag

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Hogan, could be... but I doubt it  ;D

Offline Ny Ice Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:58 PM »
Ice fishing is my #1 but reelin in a nice fat largemouth or a smallie in the summer out of my kayak is a close 2nd  ;D
Wanakena Ranger School Alumni '13

"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." --Patrick F MacManus

"Work: a dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing"-Ambrose Bierce

Offline mikek1018

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 26, 2013, 02:56 PM »
love the late fall fishin' in western ny

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:03 PM »
Not as smelly, don't have to buy ice to keep fish cool, no bugs, and ability to go anywhere on lake compared to shore fishing...I LOVE ICE FISHING!  :tipup:
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:07 PM »
You boys are missing the boat (pun intended) lol I love to ice fish but if I had to choose saltwater particularly off shore( and I don't mean from shore or goin to catch stripers and fluke I mean Pelagics shark tuna etc) I honestly don't think I could move away from the ocean even though I have considered it I always find myself wondering how I would feel after a couple years of not sinkings a harpoon or gaff into the side of a tuna or shark. I couldn't do it I would loose my mind. I understand for the guys that have never done it saying that they have plenty of fun bass fishing or catching walleye but I promise you have know idea what it's like watching a big tuna come
Up and smash a spreader bar 30 yards behind the boat and listening to a penn 70 scream like it was gunna explode for 45 seconds. See I try to give a simple response and it turns into wet dreams about offshore lol

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 26, 2013, 04:47 PM »
   By far more relaxing...no jerks on jet skis or speed boats screwing up your fishing and a lot more peaceful.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:20 PM »
If I had my choice, I'd be fly fishing. But, Ice is a lot of fun.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:33 PM »
open water for me...I fish bass tournaments. But I do love ice fishing too!

Offline Devilwood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:35 PM »
I like ice fishing alot, but find myself dreaming about fishing out of my boat all winter.  On the other hand, I don't dream about ice fishing all summer.  Everything just seems so much more difficult in the winter!

Offline Collierscc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:40 PM »
I am great full to live where there are four seasons. Ice fishing really does make me happy during the winter months. I do ice fish more than open water so i would say i do prefer it to open water. :tipup:

Offline fourseasonspring

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:21 AM »
I wish we could have 70 degrees and hard water year round!  Ice is the way to go in my book.  A close second is fly fishing for gills.  Third is salmon fishing the creeks and streams in the fall. 
Girls fish too!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #59 on: Dec 27, 2013, 05:54 AM »
   I understand this is an ice water fishing site and would be followed by some hard core ice anglers---------- but I believe some of you replying to this thread  are just caught up in the season. Most of the serious fisherman I know would never trade open water for ice. The endless possibilities of open water, compared to staring at a hole in the ice, has to win out for the vast majority of fishermen.
     I love ice fishing also, but let's face it, for most of us it's the only game in town.
          OK let the bashing commence.
                                                                  Hogan

I don't think you understand the hardcore addict.   When I open water fish, I'm scouting for ice fishing.
I do have other hobbies like cycling, soft water, and cooking, but I think about and wait for ice fishing all year.
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.