Author Topic: Camera vs Flasher  (Read 1258 times)

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
Camera vs Flasher
« on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Looking add to my Gear? What does everyone think about flashers or cameras. And what is the best product for the money?

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Camera vs Flasher
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:36 PM »
I take it you didn't like the replies on the Idaho board.

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:43 PM »
I have aready been leaning towards flashers but have a buddy that swears by his camera, he generally fishes places with really clear water and no deeper then 15 to 20 feet. So just looking for more advice from people that actually use the products. Also is one brand better then another?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:10 PM »
If you don't already have a flasher... get any flasher before any camera, IMO. A camera is only going to see in 1 direction at the height it is at, and then you have a cable to deal with when fighting a fish. And all that cable to carry around with a camera. While a flasher will give readings in 6,8,10 ft diameters etc..., depending on cone angle and DOW, in the entire water column. And with a flasher the only cable you have out is the thickness of the ice, if you're fighting a trophy fish you can easily pull that ducer out with one hand. Camera's have their place, but YOU need to determine what is best for the type of fishing you do.
The best product for the money is going to be a matter of opinion. People usually swear by whatever they own. Marcum, Vex, & Bird are the 3 big players for flashers. You would probably be happy with any entry level flasher. Look at features you might want in a flasher for the price. If you have the coin... I believe some manufacturers are making a unit that has a combined flasher/camera in one.
This will probably turn into another Vex vs Marcum thread.
It must be something in the water.

Offline churdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:12 PM »
I have a marcum Vx-p1 flasher it was easily the best 300 piece of equipment for ice fishing

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:13 PM »
yup get a flasher

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Flasher first.....Camera later if you feel you need one.....

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Camera will provide more hook ups. Flasher will find fish easier imo
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Lj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:49 PM »
I have both and the camera rarely come out of the case I have the ice 35 bird flasher I really like it its a great price and does everything my Buddy's ice 55 does besides the LCD depth screen but for the 2 bills more it costs it wasn't worth it besides bragging rights saying its worth more but I recommend the vexlar carrying case it fits perfectly and has the clear front panel if the weather turns bad

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:50 PM »
Flasher!

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:59 PM »
I have both a flasher and a camera. The cam has not gone with in 4 years. Get the flasher and be happy. If the water is as clear as you say then just look down the hole and take a look and save the money you would have spent on a camera.

Offline bnybstr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:04 PM »
I am loving my showdown, for me easier on the eyes

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Camera will provide more hook ups. Flasher will find fish easier imo

Best answer..

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Flasher now, camera later.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Cameras are to keep kids interested for a bit longer... If you just want to put fish on the ice then get a flasher!!!! I own a flasher and a camera and the camera stays home 99% of the time.

A camera shows you 1 direction at one level of the water column.. .A flasher shows you the entire water column and 360 degrees of coverage..

Also, does your friend that swears by his camera own a flasher?
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Collierscc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:42 PM »
get a flasher. had a camera and i wouldn't be bothering with one again.
I have a lx7 and its perfect for my fishing needs  @)

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Muddy water a flasher always works. A camera does not work.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Your friends conditions sound perfect for a camera.

What do you fish for??

If you are leaning towards a flasher, you probably have your mind made up.

Do you fish with your friend a lot??

One of each would be best.

Cameras dont work in mucky water and are hard to get down real deep like 100 foot.  I have a flasher for those reasons but would love a camera too. But I just dont get to fish enough to justify it yet.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I had both. Sold camera and kept flasher. Never looked back. I could name more cons for a camera than I could pros for both the flasher and camera put together, that's my opinion though. Like fishm_n said if you fish with your friend a lot than it would be cool for both of you to have one of each and than decide from there.

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:30 PM »
If you don't already have a flasher... get any flasher before any camera, IMO. A camera is only going to see in 1 direction at the height it is at, and then you have a cable to deal with when fighting a fish. And all that cable to carry around with a camera. While a flasher will give readings in 6,8,10 ft diameters etc..., depending on cone angle and DOW, in the entire water column. And with a flasher the only cable you have out is the thickness of the ice, if you're fighting a trophy fish you can easily pull that ducer out with one hand. Camera's have their place, but YOU need to determine what is best for the type of fishing you do.
The best product for the money is going to be a matter of opinion. People usually swear by whatever they own. Marcum, Vex, & Bird are the 3 big players for flashers. You would probably be happy with any entry level flasher. Look at features you might want in a flasher for the price. If you have the coin... I believe some manufacturers are making a unit that has a combined flasher/camera in one.
This will probably turn into another Vex vs Marcum thread.

Bingo......a perfect deduction. I love my cameras......yes pleural.....but the finder is #1.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:40 PM »
My camera has spooked a lot of fish... Times when I am crushing walleye and whitebass with the flasher I have tried to drop the camera down to watch the chaos and I don't see a fish on the flasher or camera... Pull the camera out and the chaos starts up again...
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:11 PM »
Quote: A camera is only going to see in 1 direction at the height it is at..

A bit off topic, but my Marcum can be horizontal or fixed in a vertical orientation. The vertical view covers quite a large area but the higher you are the more difficult it is to see fish and /or your bait..Just like looking down the hole..

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:17 AM »
My camera has spooked a lot of fish... Times when I am crushing walleye and whitebass with the flasher I have tried to drop the camera down to watch the chaos and I don't see a fish on the flasher or camera... Pull the camera out and the chaos starts up again...
Hey, that only happens to millwrights.  They're hard on things like that.

Offline Chaser19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:28 AM »
Just bought the lowrance elite 4 ice machine for $350 with $100 mail in rebate.  This thing is GREAT!  $250 for this unit can not be beat!  I say go with a lowrance elite 4 or 5 ice machine

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Just bought the lowrance elite 4 ice machine for $350 with $100 mail in rebate.  This thing is GREAT!  $250 for this unit can not be beat!  I say go with a lowrance elite 4 or 5 ice machine

+1.

I have the elite 5 and my son uses the X67c. I just ordered the Cfish underwater camera and it should be here in a few days. It has a camera with a 360 degree viewing angle and I think it will be a great addition for the times when we are trying to see what type of structure we are fishing over and what fish are under the ice.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:00 AM »
If I was only fishing shallow water, a foot off of the bottom for bluegills, eyes, crappie, and perch...I'd get the marcum 825sd. There are times we wouldn't catch hardly any fish; especially light biting gils, w out the camera. Bigger lakes w deeper water, fish may be suspended, and w out a flasher, you'd never know they were there, and u can't set a camera up for suspended fish. A serious fisherman benefits from both, and I wouldn't want to give up my marcum lx5 or my marcum 825sd. Btw, we have NEVER ever witnessed our 825 cameras scare a fish. They ignore it, or they might inspect it, but they seem carefree around it.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:18 AM »
did someone say flasher ???I cant believe anyone who has both wouldn't

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.