Author Topic: Ice fishing, a preference?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline briansnat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing, a preference?
« on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Do you prefer ice fishing or is just something to do while can't go regular fishing?
"Most men fish all their lives without realizing it's not the fish they are after" - Henry Thoreau

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
Re: Ice fishing, a preference?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:54 AM »
DEFINITELY prefer hard water...i am laid off in the winter most of the time unless its snowing..and work out of state all summer..maybe stream fish 4-5 times a year,but i get shaky if i dont ice fish at least every other day...just somethin about being out there in my shanty. ???
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline clhuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I prefer hard water then open water. 

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:10 PM »
I prefer Ice as well.  Even in the boat I have to have ice.... usually in my drink.  A good Crown Black on the rocks goes good while trolling salmon on Lk Michigan!

Also I spend the warm months on my motorcycle, and the fall in the bow stand.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Not necessarly what I prefer but something I look forward to every season that I can get out.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Ice fishing is the way to go for my spring and summer is booked with farming and my wife's plans!!
Catching Any?

Offline lannino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Im a four season guy. Every season brings something that I look forward to. In the winter, Ice fishing is that thing. Spring comes and I fly fish for trout. Summer is for Saltwater. I spend the fall split between more fly fishing and hunting. I could give reasons why I prefer any of them, but I much rather just wake up in the morning and have an excuse to say "Its a good day for fishing" 365 days a year!

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Ice fishing and deer hunting are both tied for number one for me.
Master Laker taker.

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:38 PM »
I fish HARD all year long.  However, I consider the soft water fishing just practice for this time of year.  There is something very special about the hum of my Vex and attempting to will a large red bar to rise to my jig.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:41 PM »
I hunt and soft water fish as I count down the days till the ice hardens..... Hard water fishing triumphs all other outdoor activitys for me....

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:55 PM »
I love to ice fish, but open water is clearly more fun... From smallies doing cart wheels, casting a fly to a rising trout, stripers turning the water white with a blitz, 40+ lb cod slamming a jig while watching it all on the sounder, sight casting to False Albacore that make multiple drag screaming 100+ yard runs and best of all Blue Fin Tuna on a popper with a spinning rod, sorry the hard water just does not compare...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E00KdfvDKY

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:58 PM »
If I could only do one kind of fishing
ICEFISHING would be it :woot: :woot:
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2013, 05:00 PM »
I gave up hunting in 07 to dedicate more time and money to fishing.  I had lost the real passion to hunt animals while my passion to hunt fish kept growing.  I love all the changing seasons and the challenges it brings.  Ice or open, salt or fresh, no mater, I just love to fish.

Offline mnt fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Ice fishing and deer hunting are both tied for number one for me.
X2

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2013, 05:16 PM »
I like hard water and open water just as well, but I have to say taking my 2 boys is a lot more laid back on the ice than in a 14' john boat. There is room to roam, and a lot less snags and tangles on the ice.  ;D

Offline fireman 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Ice fishing for me no bugs just something about sitting out there on the ice  ;D ;D ;D

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2013, 05:44 PM »
I love my annual muskie fishing trip to Canada in summer, other than that I prefer ice fishing.

Offline PikeKing2323

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2013, 05:55 PM »
I like whatever season it is the best.... Except spring.,.... I hate spring...

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:11 PM »
I love spring it's a nice transition from late ice crappie to early open water crappie fishing. Mid summer is the worst, hot and too many bugs, plus the fishing slows way down. Give me winter, fall and spring, in that order. Summer is over rated!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:18 PM »
I love spring it's a nice transition from late ice crappie to early open water crappie fishing. Mid summer is the worst, hot and too many bugs, plus the fishing slows way down. Give me winter, fall and spring, in that order. Summer is over rated!

I couldn't agree with that more and wish I was still somewhere I could enjoy that crappie bite.

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Ice is My Favorite

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:31 PM »
 I am an ice fisherman who fishes for catfish during the warmer months. Not a week goes by that I am not doing something geared towards ice fishing season.

Offline Fishlip off the hook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I look forward all year to the ice fishing season, my favorite time of year!!!

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:39 PM »
For me open water fishing is something to do while I can't ice fish!
:icefish:

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:50 PM »
OK, I understand most of you love ice fishing more and that is fine, we all have our favorites. But as I gave some examples of why I like open water better, what is it that make hard water your preferred? This is not a judgment, maybe a dislike of bugs is enough to tilt it to the ice? What is your reason?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:53 PM »
I preferred ice for many years, mostly related to the mobility of ice fishing( some of it was surely my un dividing love for vertical fishing and flashers), then when I could afford a boat, I preferred that for a couple seasons.... Now that I'm comfy and cozy in my fishing, I'll take them both with seasons they come with. 

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Since i don't have a boat, i definitely prefer the ice. Even if i did have a boat, i would prefer the ice. It's an addiction

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Don't really prefer one over the other, I prefer to target big game (pike and muskie) through the ice, but other than that, there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I bass tournament fish in the spring through fall, and ice fishing is a great way to find new pieces of structure, since many lakes are drawn down. Also, I love how this site has become somewhat of an "ice fishing social network" and easy to meet other fishermen who you can become friends with, I often simply say the name of my vehicle, or my shanty, and I have a few people stop and introduce themselves throughout the day. I like the experience of being able to set my tip ups up, and fire up a big pan of sausage and peppers marinara while I wait, and offer some to those around me.

In open water, I bass fish, and fly fish for trout. The weather isn't as a cold and sometimes a bit more tolerable. It's a bit easier to get people who want to come out (I have some people who refuse to ice fish with me since they're afraid of falling through the ice, eventhough I tell them that in 20 years of doing this, I've gone in once, only to my hip, and that was on last ice in 70 degree weather, easier to get them on a boat),

To sum it up, my year of fishing isn't complete without doing both.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline beau2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Soft water.  Salmon and perch on Lake Michigan, walleyes on Lake Erie.  Heavy line, big baits, big fish, better for my old eyes.

Offline PikeKing2323

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:42 PM »

Obviously you've never been big lake fishing in July-August with 20+ pound king salmon screaming out hundreds of yards of line. Once you go out on the big lakes and fish for big staging kings you won't be able to say that summer is overrated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.