Author Topic: I HATE ETHANOL FUEL  (Read 5682 times)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: I HATE ETHANOL FUEL
« Reply #60 on: Sep 29, 2012, 03:35 PM »
I got a couple words for you guys..........Jiffy Pro4 Propane auger. 

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #61 on: Sep 29, 2012, 03:43 PM »
I got a couple words for you guys..........Jiffy Pro4 Propane auger.
:clap: :clap: :thumbsup: great machines!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Sep 29, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Seen quart jugs of good gas premixed at Home-Depot in the lawn mower section--gonna buy a can and give it a try

Offline drunknfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Sep 29, 2012, 10:17 PM »
I may be paying $1.38 a litre for it but I can get it almost anywhere in Canada  ;D. Run it in the boat, sled and auger.

Offline drunknfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Sep 29, 2012, 10:18 PM »
I may be paying $1.38 a litre for it but I can get it almost anywhere in Canada  ;D. Run it in the boat, sled and auger.

Lol I'm talking about 91 non ethanol.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Sep 30, 2012, 12:25 AM »
I honestly think there is more going on with the crap quality gas than the ethanol.... I ran non eth gas in my boat all summer due to internal leaking-flooding problems with the motor. The guy in the repair shop fixed it up perfect last spring, told me to run the motor out of gas at the end of each day and to avoid the corn juice. I did just that.... Now it is doing it again. It is some sort of a rubber needle valve that gets hard and rotten. If it isn't the eth ruining the rubber, what is then?

Has anyone else noticed gas smelling "old" right out of the pumps, even in busy stations? I have... Makes me wonder!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #66 on: Sep 30, 2012, 07:11 AM »

Has anyone else noticed gas smelling "old" right out of the pumps, even in busy stations? I have... Makes me wonder!

Did when I filled up outside McGregor June 1st...smelled like varnish, a sure sign of old gas. Boat ran like crap, too.  >:(
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Sep 30, 2012, 12:23 PM »
OK i just got back from Home-Depot and bought a can called TRU-Gas already premixed with synthetic oil at 50-1--says the gas is 92 octane--there is 32oz,s in the can for 5 something--gonna use this for my Jiffy

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #68 on: Oct 01, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Everybody following this thread know how I feel about ethanol. But around here pure gas is 60 cents more a gallon. All my 2 cycles get pure when I can get it, But when I can't I add 3 oz. of seafoam to a gallon mix. I have had no problems doing this. My augers get a cap full (seafoam cap) in each tank full when using pure mix. Seems to keep things clean. I know some guys use startron with good results. I believe 32 oz. is a quart. That would get expensive quick to buy it that way. I go through maybe 5 gallons or so in the winter. I only mix 1 gallon at a time because as I stated and now some others have noticed, Etanol gas has a 30 day shelf life and then it starts separating and breaking down. That is why it is smelling old right out of pump. If they ever give up and let us have some good lithium ion batteries, I believe I will go to electric augers. The technology is there, They are just slow getting it out to us.   Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Oct 01, 2012, 09:23 AM »
A quart is 1/4 of a gallon so it all depends on how much the quart costs at HD. Another consideration would be if it has a date stamp on it. Ethanol breaks down real fast but real gas can also get old and cause a problem.

The propane augers sound like the right idea over electric or gasoline ones.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #70 on: Oct 01, 2012, 09:36 AM »
If they want to tout this wonderful "corn likker" ethanol crap, maybe they should build an auger that runs on corn.....plenty here.  ::)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Oct 01, 2012, 09:49 AM »
If they want to tout this wonderful "corn likker" ethanol crap, maybe they should build an auger that runs on corn.....plenty here.  ::)

Let me know when they build it Reb! I'll recommend they attach a corn popper gadget to it so we can have hot pop corn out on the ice!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #72 on: Oct 01, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Say!!! Now there's an idea.....!!!!  I'll get right on it!!!  ;D

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #73 on: Oct 01, 2012, 02:35 PM »
I think in time we will see urea used in gas. It is already used in diesel to lower nox levels. It too has many bad side effects. I honestly believe ethanol was mandated to make cars not las as long. for some reason they really wanted the old cars gone. Cash for clunkers did in alot of them, for those who wanted to go deeper in debt. High scrap iron prices did in alot more. Just beaurocratic government bullcrap. With all the bad effects of ethanol I really don't see why it is mandated by government. It definitely does not save consumer anything, It costs WAY MORE.  Then again the government never does anything that is good for the working man.   Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Oct 01, 2012, 04:08 PM »
The only good thing the "Cash For Clunkers" program did was to take most of the Obama bumper stickers off the roads!

It is a wonder how so many of us from my generation made it this long. We ate eggs and bacon all the time and rode our bikes without helmets and the cars had no seat belts or baby seats. Our homes were painted with lead based paints and we played with Mercury in science class making pennies silver. All of these regulations serve to inflate the cost of everything where a simple warning would probably suffice. These days we all know that we should not eat lead and we should not play with mercury or eat eggs and bacon every day. Seat belts are a great invention but do we really need to hire another 100,000 cops to enforce that law? For every new regulation they come up with the state or government employee who enforces it is eating us out of house and home.

Ethanol was claimed to be a clean alternative from a renewable source that would decrease our dependency on foreign oil. Now we know it is not very clean at all and in a severe drought the source dries up quick not to mention we still import just as much or more foreign oil. We get a reduction in fuel economy and an increase in fuel prices for not much good. We also have to spend more for the food we eat and the livestock we raise that are directly competing with the corn/ethanol supply. This all spells a complete failure in my book!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #75 on: Oct 01, 2012, 05:46 PM »
The only good thing the "Cash For Clunkers" program did was to take most of the Obama bumper stickers off the roads!

It is a wonder how so many of us from my generation made it this long. We ate eggs and bacon all the time and rode our bikes without helmets and the cars had no seat belts or baby seats. Our homes were painted with lead based paints and we played with Mercury in science class making pennies silver. All of these regulations serve to inflate the cost of everything where a simple warning would probably suffice. These days we all know that we should not eat lead and we should not play with mercury or eat eggs and bacon every day. Seat belts are a great invention but do we really need to hire another 100,000 cops to enforce that law? For every new regulation they come up with the state or government employee who enforces it is eating us out of house and home.

Ethanol was claimed to be a clean alternative from a renewable source that would decrease our dependency on foreign oil. Now we know it is not very clean at all and in a severe drought the source dries up quick not to mention we still import just as much or more foreign oil. We get a reduction in fuel economy and an increase in fuel prices for not much good. We also have to spend more for the food we eat and the livestock we raise that are directly competing with the corn/ethanol supply. This all spells a complete failure in my book!
The funny thing is we are importing ethanol. So how is that making us less dependant on foreign countries?? I think the whole ethanol thing is 99% BS.  >:(
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Haha  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #77 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:38 PM »
I must be doing something wrong. I ran e10 in my Eskimo for about 8 yrs before going to my solo. Its been no prob for going on 3 yrs now.

Last summer I had my mechanic pull the carbs on my 660 raptor figuring after 7 yrs of running ethanol they could use a cleaning. He thought I was messing with him when he got it apart. Its was spotless.

My friends scratch their head when it comes to my stuff running as long as it does. LOL

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Oct 02, 2012, 07:16 AM »
I must be doing something wrong. I ran e10 in my Eskimo for about 8 yrs before going to my solo. Its been no prob for going on 3 yrs now.

Last summer I had my mechanic pull the carbs on my 660 raptor figuring after 7 yrs of running ethanol they could use a cleaning. He thought I was messing with him when he got it apart. Its was spotless.

My friends scratch their head when it comes to my stuff running as long as it does. LOL

Some guys have all the luck! I am cleaning and rebuilding the carb in my 3 year old Husqvarna lawn tractor as we speak and my Stihl weed whacker has to go to the shop because I can't get it running. Last year it was my chain saw and the Toro Rototiller that each had carb issues and the mechanic who repaired them recommended that on tools that are only used seasonally I should buy non E10 fuel.

Your last sentence says it all for me, "My friends scratch their heads"! I suspect they have had similar results to mine with their stuff.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #79 on: Oct 02, 2012, 07:30 AM »
               I know we agree on 1 thing, get rid of Ethonal gas, but yesterday I pulled out my Generack Generator, I hadn't started it from last Nov., I treated it w/Startron gas treatment & it started w/no problem & ran great, no rough running or any other issue. So my suggestion if you can't get Ethanol gas then treat you gas, it does help!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Oct 02, 2012, 08:16 AM »
               I know we agree on 1 thing, get rid of Ethonal gas, but yesterday I pulled out my Generack Generator, I hadn't started it from last Nov., I treated it w/Startron gas treatment & it started w/no problem & ran great, no rough running or any other issue. So my suggestion if you can't get Ethanol gas then treat you gas, it does help!

I will be getting my generator ready in the next month and did the same as you but with Seafoam. I hope I have the same results. If I don't then my next step will be to switch it over to LP gas and I found a site that sells the conversion kits for most larger Gen sets. There is nothing more frustrating and depressing than to pull out an emergency generator in a real emergency and find it will not run.

Just yesterday I used my combo weed whacker to trim around the house and it worked fine. I switched attachments on it so I could trim the hedges and it will not start now. I just replaced the water pump in my 4 HP outboard kicker motor and it was running fine before I did the pump. Now I can't get it to run right so I took the fuel pump off to check it out. Sure enough the filter is all crystallized and the rubber diaphragm is deteriorated.  I ordered the parts to  repair the pump and decided to check the float bowl in the carb. I found a bunch of black particles laying at the bottom and checked the rubber fuel lines and they are disintegrating from the inside. I ordered all the parts to rebuild the carb and new fuel lines.

I honestly think that a lot of you guys don't do much of your own wrenching on these small engines and some of you just buy a new tool rather than to keep good used ones running properly. The issues I am finding are as real as rain and from a do it yourself prospective from one who does it all himself. The mechanic at my small engine repair place tells me that E10 fuel has been a boom for his repair business and he has a love/hate relationship with the garbage. He has 5 different carb bodies soaking for 3 - 5 days in carb cleaner right now in the hopes of getting the blockages to dissolve. He claims it is not necessarily from the E10 fuel but as much of an issue with the lack of following the proper procedure when storing these small engines. It happens with real gas too but just not as much and not as severe.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #81 on: Oct 02, 2012, 03:01 PM »
Some guys have all the luck! I am cleaning and rebuilding the carb in my 3 year old Husqvarna lawn tractor as we speak and my Stihl weed whacker has to go to the shop because I can't get it running. Last year it was my chain saw and the Toro Rototiller that each had carb issues and the mechanic who repaired them recommended that on tools that are only used seasonally I should buy non E10 fuel.

Your last sentence says it all for me, "My friends scratch their heads"! I suspect they have had similar results to mine with their stuff.

Nah,  its got more to do with how I take care of my stuff.lol. my auger is still outside where I unloaded it this spring and my Atv 's and mowers all sit outside . LOL

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Oct 02, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Hello again everyone. Just came back from my summer sleep. Time to gear up for Ice fishing. Already looking forward to the ice although there isn't much water anywhere because of the drought!

Ethanol is not a problem for me. I learned last year my local station has ethanol free fuel.
<===Lefty===

Offline mguchi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Oct 05, 2012, 11:05 PM »
I highly recommend the Stabil Marine formula.  I put that in my Harley, boat, lawn mower, etc. before I store it for winter and my auger and snowblower when I store them in the spring.  I also put it in my gas cans when I fill them up.  Ethanol turns to water when stored for more than 30 days and Stabil Marine formula makes the water evaporate.  Also good to fill up the tank before you store them...less air, less water vapor gets in the tank/lines. 

On another note, I have a flex fuel Dodge Ram.  I used to run E85 every 4-5 tanks as I got better gas mileage on unleaded by doing that.  However, after only getting 4 MPG when I ran E85 pulling my previous boat (18' aluminim G3 deep-V), I do not use the stuff now.  I also notice I get better gas mileage when I run pure unleaded vs. 10% Ethanol.

-Michael

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #84 on: Oct 12, 2012, 06:49 PM »

I highly recommend the Stabil Marine formula.  I put that in my Harley, boat, lawn mower, etc. before I store it for winter and my auger and snowblower when I store them in the spring.  I also put it in my gas cans when I fill them up. Ethanol turns to water when stored for more than 30 days [/i]and Stabil Marine formula makes the water evaporate.  Also good to fill up the tank before you store them...less air, less water vapor gets in the tank/lines. 

On another note, I have a flex fuel Dodge Ram.  I used to run E85 every 4-5 tanks as I got better gas mileage on unleaded by doing that.  However, after only getting 4 MPG when I ran E85 pulling my previous boat (18' aluminim G3 deep-V), I do not use the stuff now.  I also notice I get better gas mileage when I run pure unleaded vs. 10% Ethanol.

-Michael

"Because Ethanol is an alcohol, it absorbs water like dry gas. Dry gas absorbed water because it too was an alcohol product. If there was water in the old type of gas,it stayed at the bottom of the tank. This is no longer the case with Ethanol. The Ethanol will absorb the water, which in turn will make the whole tank of gas bad. Therefore, it is recommended that upon switching to Ethanol, water separator fuel filters be changed frequently.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #85 on: Oct 12, 2012, 07:23 PM »

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Oct 12, 2012, 08:39 PM »
"Because Ethanol is an alcohol, it absorbs water like dry gas. Dry gas absorbed water because it too was an alcohol product. If there was water in the old type of gas,it stayed at the bottom of the tank. This is no longer the case with Ethanol. The Ethanol will absorb the water, which in turn will make the whole tank of gas bad. Therefore, it is recommended that upon switching to Ethanol, water separator fuel filters be changed frequently.

Ethanol and the Isopropy alcohol that makes up dry gas both mix with water however they have different effects on the water. Isopropyl alcohol will actually break down water and allow it to mix with gas, ethanol does not. The ethanol and water mix does not mix with gas, it just settles to the bottom.

A bit of good news, because of the drought  and corn shortage.  See the link.

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/12/14399762-epa-may-slash-use-of-ethanol-in-gasoline-as-corn-crop-wilts?lite

It is hard to believe the duds at the EPA would even consider that. I figured they would just push to import more ethanol. We got a good corn crop out here in the northeast luckily.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Oct 12, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Ethanol and the Isopropy alcohol that makes up dry gas both mix with water however they have different effects on the water. Isopropyl alcohol will actually break down water and allow it to mix with gas, ethanol does not. The ethanol and water mix does not mix with gas, it just settles to the bottom.

It is hard to believe the duds at the EPA would even consider that. I figured they would just push to import more ethanol. We got a good corn crop out here in the northeast luckily.

Lucky you, out here in the midwest where most of the corn comes from it is piss poor. Normal harvest here is about 160 bushels per acre. The farmer down the road picked his last week, 27 bushels per acre. That beats out the cost of fuel, seed, and ferts by about $1000 for a years work. Wouldnt it be nice to work a year for $1000?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Oct 12, 2012, 09:33 PM »
"Ethanol and the Isopropy alcohol that makes up dry gas both mix with water however they have different effects on the water. Isopropyl alcohol will actually break down water and allow it to mix with gas, ethanol does not. The ethanol and water mix does not mix with gas, it just settles to the bottom."

Absolutely ridiculous! Isopropyl  or Ethanol are just Alcohol of a different type but alcohol just the same. Neither of these can break down moisture or water so it can burn. Two facts remain constant with water, it does not burn no matter what you do to it and it cannot be compressed as in an internal combustion engine. You will bust a piston or the head long before you ever compress a drop of water. You can turn water to steam which is a great but highly inefficient energy source given the other fuels required to super heat the water to turn it to steam. Water is heavier than gas and sinks in it and there is no mixing about it.

Any water that gets attracted by the alcohol/ethanol in to your tank either ends up in the bottom of the gas tank or gets sucked up in to the float bowl of you carburetor and screws up the works. Separator systems do help if you maintain them but they are in between the tank and engine. You simply cannot burn water and it will not just go through the internal combustion system and be expelled. Alcohol/Ethanol attacks many plastics and rubbers so it is here where it causes most of the problems and it also messes pretty bad with aluminum, fiberglass and poly plastic fuel tanks. If your tanks and lines and the seals and O rings in your engines are not "Ethanol Compliant", they will be pretty soon or they will be useless. Just think about that for a few minutes. Farmers sell more corn, manufacturers sell more engines and parts companies sell more parts, tanks, lines and rebuild kits and repair shops fix more engines and everyone is making money. Who is paying????????????

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Oct 13, 2012, 09:17 AM »
all i have ever used for the last 5 years is seafoam i live and die by this stuff, alittle at the start of season and a little at the end of season,I'v never had a carb issue to date i have a 1976 jiffy!!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_6410004-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-6410004&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=6410004&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=6410004
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.