Author Topic: I HATE ETHANOL FUEL  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I HATE ETHANOL FUEL
« on: Sep 26, 2012, 01:06 PM »
Every year I go through fits with all my seasonal small engines and garbage fuel with E10 and now with the added Winter Blend.

My ice auger runs fantastic with pure gas but I can't buy it here any where.

As ice fisherman we might solve this issue by hammering the auger companies. Here is my idea.

Coleman camp stoves run on Coleman fuel and it is sold in one gallon cans everywhere.

If we all started asking the auger companies to make one gallon Auger fuel in cans just like Coleman fuel and already pre mixed with the oil but from real Ethanol free fuel one of them might hear us. I would pay extra for a gallon or two of good gas that would get me through an entire season and I would not have to deal with this winter blend E10 garbage that fouls up our carburetors and gives up markedly less power and efficiency. Believe me, your auger will run much better on real gas and use less and when you store it away for the summer and prepare it correctly for storage it will start right up the next season.

I already sent my suggestion to Strike Master and the rest of us should too if you agree.

The only good that has come from adding ethanol to our gas is it lines the pockets of those who produce the garbage and ends up costing us more at the pump and here is the big one, It destroys us at the grocery store because everything either has corn in it or is raised with corn as a feed.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I HATE ETHANOL FUEL
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2012, 01:18 PM »
Expensive, but what about TruFuel already mixed and no ethanol.

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2012, 01:22 PM »
I recently bought a new stihl chainsaw and they sell cans of ethanol free gas with stabilizer already mixed in it. Supposed to be good for 2 yrs. Depending on how much you use the power augur that could be an option. They told me not to leave regular gas in my saw for more than a month.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2012, 01:59 PM »
I recently bought a new stihl chainsaw and they sell cans of ethanol free gas with stabilizer already mixed in it. Supposed to be good for 2 yrs. Depending on how much you use the power augur that could be an option. They told me not to leave regular gas in my saw for more than a month.

That is exactly my point and I did not know anything about Stihl selling this fuel. I have never seen Truefuel either but would be happy to use anything other than this garbage E10 in all of my yard tools, chain saws and anything else that gets used just once in a while.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure the next auger I buy will be propane.

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:06 PM »
There is also a gas station by me selling ethanol free gas. I havent been out by it yet to see what they are selling it for but that may be an option for me for the 4-wheeler and saw gas for the summer. I dont run the saw alot so 5 or 10 gallons will last me all year.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Last time I looked at coleman fuel at wally world it was just under 9 bucks a gallon. :o :o :o If you want to pay that for a gallon, I am quite sure your auger will run fine on coleman fuel with proper mix of 2 cycle oil in it. I know because I have seen it done. I do not know the octane rating of coleman fuel but it is much cleaner than regular gas. I have ran coleman lanterns off regular gas for years when I was young and all it ever did was clog up generators quicker cause gas was dirty. You have the big 3 and the government to thank for ethanol. Our cars were lasting too long so people were not buying as soon as they wanted. Cars in the 90,s properly taken care of would last 250,000 miles easily. Ethanol wears them out much faster and eats everything metal from tank forward. And yes this is why everything in the grocery store has increased in price.  Welcome to the U.S.A, A government of the rich, by the rich, and for the rich.  It will probably get worse before it gets better.    Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I did a little research on the Coleman fuel and it should not be used. The octane is too low and it burns too hot.

Coleman fuel here is around $7 and I would gladly pay that for my auger if it would work. Considering I use maybe a gallon or 2 per season it would save me all the garbage of cleaning and dismantling the carb every season just to get it running. My chain saws and weed wackers also suffer from this trash gas. I had to buy a new gas tank for my boat and change out all the lines and fuel pumps because they were not Ethanol compliant.

Lets wait and see what happens this winter with fuel and food prices after the drought out west this summer. Farmers will be feeding cattle and livestock dog food. OH WAIT, most dog food is corn too.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:32 PM »
There is also a gas station by me selling ethanol free gas. I havent been out by it yet to see what they are selling it for but that may be an option for me for the 4-wheeler and saw gas for the summer. I dont run the saw alot so 5 or 10 gallons will last me all year.

I proved this to myself a couple years back. I had a 1991 Honda Accord wagon that ran great and I took it on a trip up to Northern Vermont. I started here with a full tank of real gas and I made it to my buddies house on empty. On the way back I had to use E10 gas from there. I got 26 MPG on the way up with the car loaded running on real gas and 23 MPG with the car empty and running on trash fuel and I had to fuel up before I made it all the way back home. Of course my wife would say it was because I was driving UP to Vermont and DOWN to NY but if you think about it, I unloaded at least 400 pounds of tools when I got to Vermont and drove back home with 400 pounds less weight.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Gamalot,  I come from a family that farms and raises beef. My wifes uncle is dumping his cattle because he does not have enough pasture or money to feed them all. He has about 300 he said. He said they are getting about 1.40 per pound as of last week. He is going to keep about 50, He can pasture raise that many.  Now his next problem, His income was based on raising and selling 275 head a year. Now he cannot raise that many so money will not be there. I told him to grow corn on his vacant land. He said he needs all the land for pature and cant raise enough corn to make it worth his time. He said the huge farmers (1000's acres) have the contracts with ethanol factories. Again the small guy gets shafted. I gotta quit thinking about this.   Sometime put some gas in a clear jar and put on shelf and come back in a week and look at it.  You will be surprised at what you see   

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Actually the car manufactures are not behind the ethanol. As you stated, it leads to a drop in fuel economy. About 10% depending on the situation. Why would the auto manufacturers want to support something that lessens fuel milage when EVERYBODY is looking for better milage these days? Working for a car dealer, I see it first hand. Plus I drive 70 miles a day round trip so I could see it in my own car. The only thing I can recommend other than the stihl stuff is to run nothing but ultra and use some form of additive in it. Startron or the blue stabil. I run nothing but ultra in my wheeler and motorcycle and use it for the mix for both saws I have. I just started putting startron in the wheeler as the temps have been dropping. I will add stabil to the bike when I put it away for the winter. The ethanol is not going away anytime soon so I guess dealing with it is the only thing we can do.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Gamalot,  I come from a family that farms and raises beef. My wifes uncle is dumping his cattle because he does not have enough pasture or money to feed them all. He has about 300 he said. He said they are getting about 1.40 per pound as of last week. He is going to keep about 50, He can pasture raise that many.  Now his next problem, His income was based on raising and selling 275 head a year. Now he cannot raise that many so money will not be there. I told him to grow corn on his vacant land. He said he needs all the land for pature and cant raise enough corn to make it worth his time. He said the huge farmers (1000's acres) have the contracts with ethanol factories. Again the small guy gets shafted. I gotta quit thinking about this.   Sometime put some gas in a clear jar and put on shelf and come back in a week and look at it.  You will be surprised at what you see   

I heard all of that BWW and the farmers I know are in a very bad way this year with the feed prices going through the roof.

Don't tell anyone but I have been feeding these little guys and last year a bag of corn was $6.49. The last bag I bought and it probably will be the last bag was $11.99

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:45 PM »
If you have E10 mix it with Marine Stabil and run the carb out of gas for long term storage. Keep some extra carburetor diaphrams on hand as well as some extra tygon fuel tubing. Luckily I can easily get 87 and 89 pure gas.

The EPA is pushing hard to get E15 mandated as well as a 4 gallon minimum purchase. I say get rid of the EPA and the current president. who gives them free reign.

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:45 PM »
If that was last year what do they look lik now? wow

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:47 PM »
If you have E10 mix it with Marine Stabil and run the carb out of gas for long term storage. Keep some extra carburetor diaphrams on hand as well as some extra tygon fuel tubing. Luckily I can easily get 87 and 89 pure gas.

The EPA is pushing hard to get E15 mandated as well as a 4 gallon minimum purchase. I say get rid of the EPA and the current president. who gives them free reign.

WOW DKFRY, I could add a bunch to your list and we would probably agree 100%

Lets don't get all political here so the thread gets locked.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:50 PM »
If that was last year what do they look lik now? wow

Last year they were just 8 points and nothing special. Easy winter and my yard being a good diner made them this.

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2012, 03:05 PM »
If you don't selectively harvest them imagine what they will be next yr. It would be awfully hard for me not to do...lol

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2012, 03:53 PM »
gamalot i found a few places in PA that have ethanol free gas there within 2 hours of monticello heres the link

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=PA

hope this helps

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #18 on: Sep 26, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Depending on the location primium gas is usuall ethanol free.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2012, 04:09 PM »
gamalot i found a few places in PA that have ethanol free gas there within 2 hours of monticello heres the link

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=PA

That is the problem though. By the time I drive 2 hours both ways I might just as well pay $8 or $9 for just a couple gallons at the Stihl Store.

That drop tine one might have to go this season but it never fails, I can see him in the yard plenty of times but he hides real good out in the woods. I don't need a deer bad enough to cheat and I sure don't want to be reminded that I porch poked him every time I look at the horns. I nick named him Houdini after not being able to find his hiding spot last season. I would get back to the house and not 5 minutes later he would be in the yard.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2012, 04:15 PM »
That is the problem though. By the time I drive 2 hours both ways I might just as well pay $8 or $9 for just a couple gallons at the Stihl Store.

That drop tine one might have to go this season but it never fails, I can see him in the yard plenty of times but he hides real good out in the woods. I don't need a deer bad enough to cheat and I sure don't want to be reminded that I porch poked him every time I look at the horns. I nick named him Houdini after not being able to find his hiding spot last season. I would get back to the house and not 5 minutes later he would be in the yard.
i feel you there really isn't anyplace for me to get pure gas less i pick it up on my way home from work in NJ

good luck with that drop tine buck

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #21 on: Sep 26, 2012, 04:16 PM »
I heard all of that BWW and the farmers I know are in a very bad way this year with the feed prices going through the roof.
Don't tell anyone but I have been feeding these little guys and last year a bag of corn was $6.49. The last bag I bought and it probably will be the last bag was $11.99

A bag of corn only went up $2 from the farmer I get it from... $6 to $8 got to support the local farmers tho

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 26, 2012, 04:20 PM »
Go to your local airport and give them the sob story about your small engines. If they will sell you a gallon of avgas, you're good to go.  No ethanol and still has lead.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 26, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Go to your local airport and give them the sob story about your small engines. If they will sell you a gallon of avgas, you're good to go.  No ethanol and still has lead.

Good point and accurate too! I asked a pilot buddy why air planes don't have to use E10 fuel like the rest of us. He said it was because they don't want air planes dropping out of the sky!

I guess it is OK if our cars, boats and small engines don't run but he has a good point about the planes.

I might go to the airport and buy some AV fuel just for the lead. I am not sure but ever since they put ethanol in and took the lead out my hair has been falling out! ;D

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 26, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Just don't ever put any of it in your car or the catalytic converter will die.  As for quads boats mowers augers etc. it is probably the best.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 26, 2012, 07:17 PM »
Some guys on another sight I go on actually take the ethanol out of the gas. What they do is add some water to the gas, mix it up well and let it sit. The ethanol and water mix will sink to the bottom allowing the pure gasoline to be skimmed off the top. I suspect removing some of the ethanol may reduce the octane a couple points so start will 89 or 91 octane.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #26 on: Sep 26, 2012, 07:34 PM »
 I live in the heart of ethanol production and I can buy premium gasoline with no problem. I run ethanol in my truck and premium in my auger.

Offline thunderbutt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2012, 09:18 PM »
We should be glad for ethanol. Without ethanol we would be buying more oil from idiots oversees like the middle east and from south America. I would much rather keep money in farmers pockets than theirs!!!I have used ethanol for 20 years and have never put in anything in gas to keep fuel lines from freezing in winter even when i lived in Minnesota. No I don't always use straight gas in small motors, a tank of ethanol once in awhile has never done me wrong. Ethanol puts alot of people to work every day gas would be alot higher price without it.  No i'm not a farmer

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 26, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Thunderbutt I suggest you fact check what you claim because it is false.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 26, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Thunderbutt I suggest you fact check what you claim because it is false.
X2. Non ethanol is an extra ten cents in my neck of the woods.

It's all politics in the end. Oil is under 100 bones a barrel. Gas, ethonal or not, should be MUCH lower than what it is now. And why does diesel fuel cost more than gas? Diesel is less refined!! But the truckers use so much of it and they gotta pay it! If they want to fix the economy, fix the dang fuel situation!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.