Author Topic: This weather sucks!  (Read 5542 times)

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
Re: This weather sucks!
« Reply #60 on: Jul 22, 2012, 02:16 PM »
How's this? Thanks Surf for helping me with the sticker, and Rebelss, you're right. That pic is too good to replace. In fact, it's time to take Boner out in the heat for a walk. Then I'm loading up all of my ice gear and storing it in town. We're having a pretty bad fire year and it ain't over by a long shot.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #61 on: Jul 22, 2012, 02:27 PM »
How's this? Thanks Surf for helping me with the sticker, and Rebelss, you're right. That pic is too good to replace. In fact, it's time to take Boner out in the heat for a walk. Then I'm loading up all of my ice gear and storing it in town. We're having a pretty bad fire year and it ain't over by a long shot.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Hope you guys miss out on all of the wildfires, but moving your gear is a good idea! You and Boner and the rest best be ready to haul @$$ at the drop of a hat!! And if those fires have been set by an arsonist, I know something that should be burned when they are caught!! :woot: :thumbsup: ;)2 :whistle: :callcops:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #62 on: Jul 22, 2012, 02:29 PM »
HA!!!! Love those ears swiveled back!!!! (Boner's)  ;D Hope we don't all get crispy fried this year.... :pinch:

(Click on image to enlarge)

PDF Version of Seasonal Drought Outlook Graphic 

Latest Seasonal Assessment - Dryness and drought, exacerbated by above-normal temperatures, have been increasing both in extent and intensity across much of the central and northern U.S. Based upon the July 10 U.S. Drought Monitor, nearly 61 percent of the contiguous U.S. was in drought (D1-D4), the highest such value for the U.S. Drought Monitor since its inception in 2000. The drought and heat arrived at a critical time for Midwestern agriculture, especially corn. The combination of heat and dryness has severely reduced the quality and quantity of the corn and soybean crop, with 38 percent of the corn and 30 percent of the soybeans rated as poor or very poor as of July 15 by NASS/USDA. Some states, such as Kentucky, Missouri, and Indiana, had over 70 percent of their corn adversely rated. Unfortunately, drought is expected to develop, persist, or intensify across these areas, and temperatures are likely to average above normal. Some widely-scattered relief may come in the form of cold front passages or organized thunderstorm clusters (MCSs), but widespread relief for much of the area is not expected. In the Southeast, recent widespread thunderstorm activity has slightly eased drought there, and the 3-month outlook favors increased odds for above normal precipitation along the central Gulf. This is due to the greater likelihood of a tropical system affecting these areas and from sea-breeze triggered thunderstorms. Therefore, some improvement is expected across the Deep South, from coastal Texas eastward to South Carolina. Across the Southwest, the odds favor an active (wet) southwest monsoon in both the 1- and 3-month precipitation outlooks. As a result, improvement is anticipated across much of Arizona and western New Mexico as the summer monsoon continues, with some improvement in other parts of the region. Drought persistence is the best bet across the remaining portions of the Western U.S. since late summer and early fall are typically dry. In Hawaii, subnormal seasonal rainfall is expected which should maintain drought on the leeward (west) sides while expanding it toward the windward (east) sides. Lastly, an El Niño Watch continues, with the forecaster consensus reflecting increased chances of an El Niño beginning in July-September.

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jul 22, 2012, 02:51 PM »
NOOOOO!!!!!!! Not an El Nino winter! Last winters ice season was short enough.  >:( >:( >:(
Though the winter heating bill was rather nice when compared to other winters, eh.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Jul 22, 2012, 03:08 PM »

NOOOOO!!!!!!! Not an El Nino winter! Last winters ice season was short enough.  >:( >:( >:(
Though the winter heating bill was rather nice when compared to other winters, eh.

WHAT ice season??!   Wanna see my AC bill from this month??!!  :o >:(

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jul 22, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Ya I know you and many others had no ice last winter, but the last sentence in your post has to give ya a little twinge of angst for the upcoming season, eh.

No need to see yer electric bill reb. Mine showed up yesterday and other than the June billing looking like a normal August bill it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, eh.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Jul 22, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Ya I know you and many others had no ice last winter, but the last sentence in your post has to give ya a little twinge of angst for the upcoming season, eh.

No need to see yer electric bill reb. Mine showed up yesterday and other than the June billing looking like a normal August bill it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, eh.
Have you yoopers had it as hot as the rest of the country, or has it been more moderate?  ???
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #67 on: Jul 22, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Just blowin' steam, Jiggy. I hate to see how August here turns out..it's always a cooker.
The humidity just doesn't let up, either. I could use another trip to Mackinac Island... ;D

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jul 22, 2012, 04:17 PM »
Proportionally we've suffered the same fate as the rest of the mid-west. Our normal highs and lows are somewhat cooler than yours, or say Rebs normal highs and lows are, but there is nothing normal about this year!  >:(

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jul 22, 2012, 04:20 PM »
I could use another trip to Mackinac Island... ;D

There is something pleasant about being surrounded by a Great Lake during a HOT summer, eh.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Jul 22, 2012, 04:29 PM »
There is something pleasant about being surrounded by a Great Lake during a HOT summer, eh.
And your ice fishing tends to be better!! Down here in SW Ohio, we saw very little ice last year!! I'm spoiled because I'm originally from Minnesota, and I remember how good the ice fishing was. Last year sucked for many people, ice wise that is!! Hope we all get great ice this winter and cooler temperatures and rain soon!! :thumbsup: :%$#!:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Jul 23, 2012, 08:57 AM »
The dewpoint is 74 (*gag*) right now, already 91 at ten o'clock....and it's gonna hit mid 90's today..it's actually like a steam-blasting sauna out... :wacko: :%$#!: :pinch:

NWS HUMIDITY SCALE

DEWPOINT  PERCEPTION 

52 & lower  COMFORTABLE 
53-56  SLIGHTLY NOTICEABLE 
57-59  QUITE NOTICEABLE 
60-63  STICKY 
64-69  UNCOMFORTABLE 
70 +  INTOLERABLE 

surflizard

« Reply #72 on: Jul 23, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Ya buddy, that will do the trick !  :thumbsup:

Offline FLYING TIGER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jul 23, 2012, 04:44 PM »
jump in a lake like this guy 
cool off    flying tiger out  @) :tipup:
love paying taxes to the state thanks for asking

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #74 on: Jul 23, 2012, 08:19 PM »
We had a bad ice season last year, but we have one good lake that's over a mile high that had good ice through March. Minnesota guys were driving out here to fish it! I'll be counting on that lake this year, cuz the rest of 'em ain't gonna do very well again, it's starting to look like. So get used to my drunk "arse" (careful, don't wanna get banned again) hanging out here a lot!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jul 23, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Hit 100 today.  I'm dyin' in this heat - charged up the flasher last night for good measure, opened the chest freezer and sighed.

Come on ice.

surflizard

« Reply #76 on: Jul 24, 2012, 05:50 AM »
Wow, it was rainin like a Bovine Hydroing on a Horizontal Granite Strata shelf last night, it sounded like John Bonham himself was doing a drum solo on our metal roof !!

P.S. Glad to have ya Roy, it just ain't the same without ya ! ;)2

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #77 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:16 AM »
Had to go to Iron Mountain and pick up some parts yesterday morning. At 9:30 I knew it was warm as I already had the air in the truck on. Passed bank thermometer and it was 87 DEGREES AT 9:30 A.M. This is nuts. Atleast humidity was down. We are getting decent rain so we are not as dry as some. At 4:30 a.m this morning it is 57 degrees, So we cool down at night, Lakes are warm as bath water, Friends are fishing the rivers now and doing very well, All you have to do is find holes and deep pools and the fish are schooled up there in cooler water.  come on winter    Steve

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:36 AM »
Took the kids for a walk yesterday down to the local fish and game, got there and it was to hot, kids caught some frogs though, to hot out :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Jul 24, 2012, 08:01 AM »
Getting some much needed rain via some t-storms passing through!! Nothing severe (so far) just cooler and dang it smells good out there!! ;D Bring it on!! The only green things in the grass are weeds!! :woot: ;)2

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #80 on: Jul 24, 2012, 09:25 AM »
T-storms with 3" of pounding rain here, causing local flooding, and breaking down my Early Girl 'mato plant.... >:(

surflizard

« Reply #81 on: Jul 24, 2012, 01:25 PM »
2 big thunder storms just rolled thru, lightning, hail, rain sideways, the whole nine yards ! The sun just popped back out and the temp rose 14 degrees and everything is smoking, the water vapor coming off everything looks like a bad horror movie being made in the Brazilian rainforest !!  :woot:  :blink: :wacko:

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jul 24, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Why are we all worrying, the World's coming to an end 12/21 anyway. Post some pics, reminisce about how great icefishing was and get over it  :whistle:. 97* yesterday and the neighbors lawn went up in flames from his cigarette butt a few days ago, melted the siding on one side. Rain keeps missing us by 20 miles in every direction, walk across the grass and it snaps off and blows away. Would like to say one could make clay pots from the bottoms of some potholes but think its already been through the kiln at least once. But if one believes in the 6 weeks until the first frost myth with Cicadas, then it won't be long, they've been going off for at least 3 weeks here  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Jul 24, 2012, 03:37 PM »
But if one believes in the 6 weeks until the first frost myth with Cicadas, then it won't be long, they've been going off for at least 3 weeks here  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Ours got toasted like popcorn.  ;D Good point....usually hear them quite a bit by now, but have only hear a few....but the fireflies have been out since the end of May, quite a show every night. Heard crickets the other night for the first time all Summer, and my Birch is dropping yellow leaves, which is no surpise. This Winter will be interseting, no doubt...

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jul 24, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Local Maple trees are dropping dry/crunchy leaves like in the Fall, they're still green. Would settle for seeing a Mosquito fly by. Bugs are nearly non existent, even Ants are hard to come by, no Crickets heard here

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #85 on: Jul 25, 2012, 05:24 PM »
I just read an article in Big River magazine written by the Rocky Mountain something-or-other Meterological Center that the incidence of big thunderstorms producing 3" or more rain in a torrential downpour in the Midwest has increased 105% in the last 50 years.... :o  ::)

surflizard

« Reply #86 on: Jul 26, 2012, 06:33 AM »
The air is thick enough to cut with a knife here this morning and the weathermoronologists are besides themselves with joy ! Severe weather alerts, major thunderstorms, horrific conditions expected, one boneheaded moron described it as a Fantastic example of a Prime Thunderstorm creating weatherfront ???  :cookoo: :%$#!:

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #87 on: Jul 26, 2012, 07:20 AM »
Hey Surf, Are you talking about Karl (bonehead) Bohnak of tv6??  Man he is never right. About 4 years ago it was so dry up here the ducks were carrying canteens and he said we were above normal in precipitation. He cracks us up. My rain gauge at home said we got just over 2 inches of rain yesterday. I know around 10 a.m it was dark out, I mean midnight dark. All the outside lights came on at the shop. The women in the office came in shop to look. Then she busted loose and stormed. She rained like a cow peeing on a flatrock. We do seem to have worse rainstorms but we don't get the thunder and lightning like we used too. Not gonna complain too much it is 62 degrees as I type.  Steve

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jul 26, 2012, 08:37 AM »
Getting heavy thunder showers today, not sure how much rain we'll get,
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Jul 26, 2012, 08:41 AM »
Getting heavy thunder showers today, not sure how much rain we'll get,
X2   That's in our forecast also! Had them last night and a funnel cloud was spotted just west of here!! We'll take the rain, but not the tornadoes!! :woot: :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.