Author Topic: Line markers  (Read 6289 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Line markers
« Reply #90 on: Mar 08, 2012, 11:27 PM »
I am not going to go out and buy a dozen line counters... As to using a slip knot, I did for years but have grown tiered of resounding after every fish, but to each his own...

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Mar 10, 2012, 06:51 AM »
Good old pipe cleaners

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #92 on: Mar 10, 2012, 07:20 AM »
I fished with a friend that tried them and the rust was a bit of a mess, do you use stainless ones?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Mar 10, 2012, 07:23 AM »
I am not going to go out and buy a dozen line counters... As to using a slip knot, I did for years but have grown tiered of resounding after every fish, but to each his own...

Why would you need to re-sound the hole? The depth didnt change barring an underwater earthquake happening.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #94 on: Mar 10, 2012, 07:26 AM »
Setting the hook, or playing a fish, pulls the slip knot out... Then you need to resound...

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Mar 10, 2012, 07:37 AM »
Setting the hook, or playing a fish, pulls the slip knot out... Then you need to resound...

The sounding is done once when you are setting up a hole, and tells the water depth.

The depth does not change because you get a flag. If you know you are set up over 24 feet of water, and are fishing a depth of 20 feet, it should be pretty damn easy to get back into position after a flag. Marking the braid with a sharpie at 10 foot intervals makes this much simpler.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #96 on: Mar 10, 2012, 08:15 AM »
I fish 4 -5 tilts at a time, ranging in depth from just a few feet in depth to 30+ feet. I move my tilts at least every 45 minuets, if I am not getting the fish that I want. I try to fish as long a day as possible, so lets say a average of 8 hours... On a slow day that would mean, I might move my tilts as many as 40+ times (almost never happens). I think that I will stick with using a marker, and leave the note pad and spreed sheets at home and at work.
For many anglers that are not aggressive and are happy to wait for a fish to come to them, then your technique will work just fine, I am not going to try to remember what depths each of my tilts are at...

Offline harobmx2004

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Mar 10, 2012, 11:02 AM »
i guess im a lazy angler that waits for fish then lol i mark my tip ups with a slip knot...leave the loop at the reel, occasionaly it pulls out. so be it....
Now lets get back to fishin and lose sight of these line markers :tipup:
FLAAGG!!!.......just kidden....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.