Author Topic: BERKLY GULP ALIVE  (Read 13246 times)

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: BERKLY GULP ALIVE
« Reply #30 on: Oct 31, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Im getting into using plastics myself. Tired of rebaiting and its a lot cheaper then waxies in the winter too. I havent used them fishing yet though, used some of the dry ones and havent had much luck with those. I noticed that if the bite was on hard I could catch them with the dry ones, but then again I could probably catch them on anything. Just stopped and picked up a jar of waxworms to try this year.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:04 PM »
picked up a pack of the minnows and a pack of the leeches about a week before a big trip, first fish i caught was a nice little 10" largemouth (average size for that lake) then the next day i caught a beautiful 12 1/2" crappie. continued to catch good fish for the rest of the week. leeches were alright for bluegills, but didn't do well for anything else the entire week. the minnows destroyed them!

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 31, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Plastic peanut butter jars work great for me.  And plentiful in my house.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline muskybones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2010, 08:25 PM »
How do you use the 1" Gulp minnows?  What jigs, hooks, etc?  How do you hook them?  Thanks.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 31, 2010, 09:30 PM »
How do you use the 1" Gulp minnows?  What jigs, hooks, etc?  How do you hook them?  Thanks.

I use the 1" minnows on a small horizontal jig.  Hook it through the 'mouth' and out the top, behind the 'head'.  Kinda like how you'd hook a minnow when jigging for walleye.  It's a great presentation when fishing vertical through the ice, and even under a float during the spring.  You need to keep it moving a little, the fish will let you know what they like.  If you use it in open water the waves will keep it moving...or you can slowly reel it in towards your boat.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #35 on: Nov 01, 2010, 10:52 AM »
I'm going to have to pick some up and try em this winter! I'm thinking I'll grab one jar of the 1" minnows and the waxies. Glad I read the tip on getting the jars not to leak because that juice stinks!!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 25, 2010, 01:41 PM »
I've had good luck with the Honey Worms in the past. And I don't go through them like I did with live Waxies. I'd like to try the 1" minnows. I'll have to look around the stores for them.
jbird68

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2010, 04:50 AM »
Just picked up two bottles of one inch minnows and took them out fishing. Used live worms and gulp minnows. The minnows out fished the live worm hands down. Has any of you out there had this kind of luck with them. Was woundering if I should get a batch of them while I can.

I used them for the first time yesterday. I've known Gulp works for year but had never found a size and profile that fit what I wanted for my panfish before. I had both live bait and the Gulp 1" minnows with me. After I got a few in the boat on the livies, I switched over to the Gulp and my catch rate actually went up. Where I was using a live shiner on every fish, the Gulp stayed on the hook for at least 10 fish... I was very impressed and will be buying more.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2010, 05:10 AM »
I used them for the first time yesterday. I've known Gulp works for year but had never found a size and profile that fit what I wanted for my panfish before. I had both live bait and the Gulp 1" minnows with me. After I got a few in the boat on the livies, I switched over to the Gulp and my catch rate actually went up. Where I was using a live shiner on every fish, the Gulp stayed on the hook for at least 10 fish... I was very impressed and will be buying more.

Sometimes when I use the fish fry, I will tear off part of the tail making it shorter.  It loses some of it's action but it has worked.  You can manipulate some of them, don't be afraid to experiment.

Offline Buckeye John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2010, 06:22 AM »
I really have had good luck with the wax worms. The only bad side is that the lids leak real easy and you end up with a pocket full of that junk.

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 26, 2010, 08:26 AM »
 I think I'll have to try some this year... There's always those days that I wish I had some minnows with me and I don't.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #41 on: Nov 26, 2010, 10:31 AM »
I really have had good luck with the wax worms. The only bad side is that the lids leak real easy and you end up with a pocket full of that junk.
I've heard to put plumbers/teflon tape on the threaded seal and it won't leak!

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2010, 12:20 PM »
i picked up a jar of the 1 inch minnow in smelt and the waxies in white and chart. to try this year.im not sure if i like the looks of the spikes. has anyone ever used the 1 inch leeches during hardwater???

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2010, 08:16 PM »
I switched over last year to the waxies from live spikes.  I like the hot pink, natural and chartreuse colors.  I also like the jarred powerbait spikes.  I rig those wacky rigged on Marmooska style jigs!  This year I will be trying the jarred Gulp Alive fry.  The red ones and white ones look killer with those quiver tails!  They look like mousies, kind of like the ratso bodies.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 27, 2010, 01:03 AM »
I switched over last year to the waxies from live spikes.  I like the hot pink, natural and chartreuse colors.  I also like the jarred powerbait spikes.  I rig those wacky rigged on Marmooska style jigs!  This year I will be trying the jarred Gulp Alive fry.  The red ones and white ones look killer with those quiver tails!  They look like mousies, kind of like the ratso bodies.

Just picked up a couple of bottles of those (fry) this morning.  Agreed they look just like mousees.....I had planned to order some live mousies this season (cant find em here in town) but since finding the gulp alive fish fry i think ill try them instead.  Tight Lines.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 27, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Everyone should have a jar or two before the hit the ice...  It does work, maybe not as well as waxies, but they are nice to have if your run out of live bait.

Jim

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #46 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:12 AM »
Haven't tried them yet.  What colors are you finding best for gills, crappies, and perch?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #47 on: Nov 27, 2010, 08:59 AM »
I never tried the minnows yet, but have tried the wax worms, I have had better luck in summer using these, I did have 1 good day with these...50° and last ice, but I think everything was working that day, I do have them with me during icefishing just in case. just my experience. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #48 on: Nov 27, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I've been using the waxies and the fry for a couple years now. I like the waxies over the maggots, they just seem to work better.  The fry are my go to though for panfish.  I always keep a jar each of chartreuse, pink & orange in the tackle box.  One of those will usually get the bite on.  If they stop biting but I know they are there, I change color and I'm back in action.  I am going to grab some of the small minnows to see how they work.

Great Idea on the Teflon Tape, Thanks!  Never would have thought of that.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #49 on: Nov 27, 2010, 10:22 AM »
That stuff they are packed in sticks and smells for a long time even after washing your hands. I have started looking but as of now still have not found a pair of plastic tweezers. Thought they might work good for getting the bait out of the jars.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline rangerbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Nov 28, 2010, 08:22 AM »
I have had moderate success during summer and winter with Gulp, but much prefer the micronuggies.  My favorite gulp memory occurred during the summer when my 10 year old son and I were using Gulp Alive leeches and he accidentally spilled the liquid down the cast he had on his arm while trying to get a leech out of the jar!  The smell was terrible!   The thought of it still makes me laugh!

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:40 AM »
That stuff they are packed in sticks and smells for a long time even after washing your hands. I have started looking but as of now still have not found a pair of plastic tweezers. Thought they might work good for getting the bait out of the jars.

I actually took a regular metal pair of tweezers and duck taped around where you hold them and also connected a small lanyard to it with a clip.  This way you don't have to reach in and get it all over the place trying to fish one out.  They are slippery, but it still works fine.  I can clip it to my jacket or to my shanty so it's ready to go.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #52 on: Nov 28, 2010, 01:22 PM »
I thought I would try the trigger X gear this winter, it is slightly cheaper then the Gulp alive, but you do get less in a jar.

Offline IceNomads

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOT ICE!!
« Reply #53 on: Nov 28, 2010, 01:56 PM »
I use the little 1 inch fish fry and it kills perch, gills, and slabs.
 FISHIN' IS LIKE SEX, THE LESS YOU GET, THE MORE YOU LIE!!

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:15 PM »
Do any on these have the thin tails like the ratso's and other jigs?  If so how do they work?

Offline n icefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:33 PM »
I haven't tried Gulp products before for icefishing. Does the Gulp juice freeze in "normal" temperatures, say down to 10 degrees or so? Do you need to keep it somewhat warm? I'd hate to have a jar crack and leak some of that juice if its as nasty as everyone says!  :P

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #56 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:57 PM »
I keep a couple of jars in my bucket.  It hasn't frozen for me yet.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline ICE_MONKEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 28, 2010, 07:08 PM »
I actually took a regular metal pair of tweezers and duck taped around where you hold them and also connected a small lanyard to it with a clip.  This way you don't have to reach in and get it all over the place trying to fish one out.  They are slippery, but it still works fine.  I can clip it to my jacket or to my shanty so it's ready to go.
I always have a pair of forceps with me fishing open and hard water. They work quite well too for that.

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Nov 28, 2010, 07:20 PM »
I have used the Gulp Alive Spikes with some success.  I fish half the time without bait, but tried the Spikes last season.  I don't like to keep my bait alive if I don't have to.  I remember once I put one on a dead-stick noodle rod, just a hook and a split shot.  The wind would gently bounce the rod tip up and down give some movement under the ice.  I saw that after 15 mins the rod was bouncing up and down but by the time I picked up the rod there was nothing to set the hook.  I do believe the smell of these things make fish interested.

This year, like icejunky I purchased some Trigger-x in white spikes.  We will see if these work better based on a chemical that "Triggers" fish to get hungry.  I am no biologist, but I think it works like the smell from a bakery 50 meters away... we can't resist... and have to buy some pastries....
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline Tailchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 28, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Plano makes a plastic jar with plastic tongs for about 5.00, pending on where you buy them. bass pro & Cabela's has them. I put not only gulp alive in the jar but, all kinds of plastic. i inch , 2inch minnows tubes , etc. For ice fishing I will transfer a few of each to a  empty pill vial & stick in my coat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.