Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 3083 times)

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Is it just me?
« on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Is it just me or has the level of discussion degraded this year? It seems like every second or third thread I open someone is whining, complaining, being sarcastic or outright rude. Maybe I just haven't noticed it before.

I admit to being part of this issue as I have a sarcastic streak that is sometimes hard to suppress.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:24 PM »
No, it's not just you, you're right. Well back to the forum and back to some fishing related issues.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:25 PM »
I haven't noticed anything.
What I have noticed is that when a newbie asks a question that has been asked before there is always someone who replies use the search function and nothing else. To me this is rather rude as it sends the message that it's not worth their time to answer you, do it your self. I would have no problem if they offered an answer and also noted that the search function is a great source of information as well.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:08 PM »
 well put drifter.  i think welcoming the newbs is a HUGE part of keeping this site positive and helps grow the awesome resource that is iceshanty  8)

i have however noticed some general nastiness and can't help but feel that sometimes rather than increasing your post count, just shut up and fish - rather than commenting on how many times a particular topic has come up or why someone's 20lber is really only a 19.75lber.

none the less, the shanty shall persevere  :tipup:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:33 PM »
It's just the nature of the relationship... ;D

Some people don't care for discussion, some do.  Some people like to brag about the big ones, others just want to share their success.  Some are all about what's the best, others are all about being resourceful.  Some only fish the hotbite after others find it, some want to be the first to find the hot bite.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:26 PM »
I haven't noticed anything.
What I have noticed is that when a newbie asks a question that has been asked before there is always someone who replies use the search function and nothing else. To me this is rather rude as it sends the message that it's not worth their time to answer you, do it your self. I would have no problem if they offered an answer and also noted that the search function is a great source of information as well.

I am guilty of this. I only do it when the "newbie" has been signed up for 4 years and his 4th post is asking which flasher is the best.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I am guilty of this. I only do it when the "newbie" has been signed up for 4 years and his 4th post is asking which flasher is the best.

Your answer should be Marcum of course.   :thumbsup: :clap: ;D

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I have been here since Nov of 2002 and I have seen this site grow from a modest membership of 1800 (if that's right....not entirely sure....correct me if I'm wrong Scott, Fatboy, Seag, Barley??? )exponentially into what it is now...

NOTHING here is new with the exception of perhaps a more prominent influx of disrespectful members....however it seems when these punks come here with the unmoderated, "youtube" comment area style mentality, it gets nipped in the butt real fast.  I'm guessing the mods are a whole lot busier these days...  ;D

I really don't think any one member has the right to judge another's conduct so long as he/she is not outright disrespectful.  Some folks read and some write.....this is parallel to reality in that there are talkers and there are listeners.  A lack of posts does not entitle a member to any less rights then the common post junky...

Drifter, I have also noticed these guys who like to refer others to the archives, etc.  It seems there are two types that do this.  First there are the ones who are genuinely interested in helping and they diplomatically pass along some info about perhaps doing a search in say electronics....these ones are sometimes even nice enough to attach a link to steer the inquiring mind in the right direction.
But then there are those insecure little boys/girls who can't help but belittle the new inquisitor by rudely referring him/her to the search function like they are offended by the very notion of the newbie posing a question that they themselves were asking only 6 months earlier when they first joined the shanty.  

This action is a form of self empowerment and is the real life equivalent of pointing out the mistakes of others in public.  So don't blame these poor lost souls.....just let them grow up  ;D  ::)

Also, if off topic threads seem to offend you, then avoid the general chat or off-topic areas and stick to forums that are more specific.  We are a community, united by a common love for a great winter pasttime.  If one of our brothers/sisters wants to post on wether or not to propose to his love, or talk about his cats, or any other quirky, or humorous subject...so long as it's not inappropriate.....Then let em be. Let's respect each other for our individuality and leave it at that.

There is plenty of great info on this site....not mention likely hundreds of thousands of combined years of ice fishing experience  :o  The info is there, you just have to look.  After all.........it's somewhat contradictory......... if we all discouraged posting and chose the search function.....there would, ironically, be no forum  ??? ???

Just my $.02  ;)2

Trev

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:16 PM »
all im gunna say is everyone on the site was a newbie one time or another.
USE A BOBBER!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Let's just say that most people just aren't aware of a discussion forum is open for discussion.  ;D

Asking a FAQ - the Frequently Asked Questions is one mentality.  The Formerly Answered Question is another mentality.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:02 PM »
the best way to find answers here, is to read the threads. period.then ask questions. it is a forum, but a little effort is better than just not bothering to look. :-\
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:39 PM »
I'd rather deal with whiners on here than in person...here I can just skip it in real life well yeah...

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Im new here and thats the one thing i hate about this site is rude, sarcastic people, some contribute helpful things but alot dont also. But dont et me wrong there more people on here willing to help then the ones who arent.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:51 PM »
I have been using the shanty since last season and have to say that my ice fishing abilities are much better for it!  Thanks to all the folks that post and provide informtaion.  It is a great community! 

Here are my thoughts on posting questions that are already answered in older forums......the older forums are......OLDER.  Think about it.....if you expect newcomers to rely on older posts for their informtaion doesn't that just give them "stale" information?  Ice fishing is a constant process of trial and error in order to find new tactics and techinques that improve the experience!  And if you don't start topics over again every now and then people won't be able to access techniques that an angler may have discovered just days ago!!!

Newcomers.....post all the questions you want!!! I'll give you what I know over and over again and read the new threads in hopes that someone may post something brand new that I can learn from!!!!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:34 PM »
I have been using the shanty since last season and have to say that my ice fishing abilities are much better for it!  Thanks to all the folks that post and provide informtaion.  It is a great community! 

Here are my thoughts on posting questions that are already answered in older forums......the older forums are......OLDER.  Think about it.....if you expect newcomers to rely on older posts for their informtaion doesn't that just give them "stale" information?  Ice fishing is a constant process of trial and error in order to find new tactics and techinques that improve the experience!  And if you don't start topics over again every now and then people won't be able to access techniques that an angler may have discovered just days ago!!!

Newcomers.....post all the questions you want!!! I'll give you what I know over and over again and read the new threads in hopes that someone may post something brand new that I can learn from!!!!

AGREED

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:55 PM »
I have been here since Nov of 2002 and I have seen this site grow from a modest membership of 1800 (if that's right....not entirely sure....correct me if I'm wrong Scott, Fatboy, Seag, Barley??? )exponentially into what it is now...

NOTHING here is new with the exception of perhaps a more prominent influx of disrespectful members....however it seems when these punks come here with the unmoderated, "youtube" comment area style mentality, it gets nipped in the butt real fast.  I'm guessing the mods are a whole lot busier these days... 

I really don't think any one member has the right to judge another's conduct so long as he/she is not outright disrespectful.  Some folks read and some write.....this is parallel to reality in that there are talkers and there are listeners.  A lack of posts does not entitle a member to any less rights then the common post junky...

Drifter, I have also noticed these guys who like to refer others to the archives, etc.  It seems there are two types that do this.  First there are the ones who are genuinely interested in helping and they diplomatically pass along some info about perhaps doing a search in say electronics....these ones are sometimes even nice enough to attach a link to steer the inquiring mind in the right direction.
But then there are those insecure little boys/girls who can't help but belittle the new inquisitor by rudely referring him/her to the search function like they are offended by the very notion of the newbie posing a question that they themselves were asking only 6 months earlier when they first joined the shanty. 

This action is a form of self empowerment and is the real life equivalent of pointing out the mistakes of others in public.  So don't blame these poor lost souls.....just let them grow up   

Also, if off topic threads seem to offend you, then avoid the general chat or off-topic areas and stick to forums that are more specific.  We are a community, united by a common love for a great winter pasttime.  If one of our brothers/sisters wants to post on wether or not to propose to his love, or talk about his cats, or any other quirky, or humorous subject...so long as it's not inappropriate.....Then let em be. Let's respect each other for our individuality and leave it at that.

There is plenty of great info on this site....not mention likely hundreds of thousands of combined years of ice fishing experience    The info is there, you just have to look.  After all.........it's somewhat contradictory......... if we all discouraged posting and chose the search function.....there would, ironically, be no forum   

Just my $.02 

Trev

Upjigstick - Be patient with those knuckleheads...  Sometimes with growth comes some pain. :-\

Well put Trevor!  This site is a fantastic wealth of information, as well as a information sharing venue...  If you don't have a comment worth posting, let it be!  Sharing with everyone will only make our sport stronger in numbers etc...  Giving helpful information is especially useful in helping keep those younger icefishers involved in our sport, (so long as they respect they're fellow Shanty members!  ;) )

Hey Trevor -How bout some of those big lakers eh?  You've been quiet!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:59 AM »
Yeah...we're busier. It's a good thing that the members actively police themselves. Intimidation is a fish of a different species though...and it stinks like month old bait.

The internet offers some the opportunity to intimidate with anonymity. Many can't help but try to take advantage. Some live just miserable lives and this can be their vent.

The good news is, it's always a small percentage and that makes them easier to deal with.

In my opinion, this is an exceptional group and the positive overwhelms the negative here.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:38 AM »
Well spoken Trevor ! This is the# 1 site for anything related to the hard water hunt and we love it. I've
 been chasing lakers for over thirty years now and I've picked up a lot of info from fellow members and
for that I thank you all !! :clap: As for the negatives, I'm glad i don't have to go through life like that! :'( Good Luck and watch out for the TSC (TRUCK SUBMARINE CORPS) ;D

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Its not just this site but the world in gerneral is going that way.

lael19533

« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:45 PM »
the best way to find answers here, is to read the threads. period.then ask questions. it is a forum, but a little effort is better than just not bothering to look. :-\

Anyone-newbie or Old Tar,should feel free to ask away.I don't think someone should feel that they should have to go to "FAQ" and skim for hours to find an answer to a question,that sommeone else can answer right away.
There are so many willing to help here and suggest things,and I like the fact that someone pipes up and helps.I would rather talk to a real person,than skim the FAQ-just my own thoughts here.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Hey thanks guys  ;D  I was not sure if anyone would even read my rant  :wacko: :wacko: :woot:

Hey Trevor -How bout some of those big lakers eh?  You've been quiet!

Barley, the kids are getting older and life has become an ongoing sprint(I guess that would make it a marathon  ;D  ;) ) I'm in supervision at work, I volunteer, I give guitar lessons two nights a week from home.....it never ends  ??? ??? ???

However, although not as much as I would like, I have fished a lot more this year than in recent years.  I'm thinkin' I just need to cut back on some of the other activites and make fishing a bit more of a priority again  :)  I really miss spending all that time in the outdoors  :'(

Also it would seem I am pretty lazy when it comes to photography as I tend to leave the camera home most of the time.....I think I may just be gettin' old  :-\ :-\

How about you?  do you get out as much as you did a few years back?  How's the family?  What do you fish for these days?

My oldest son LOVES to fish.  Below are a few pics from the one and only laker outing of the season(so far  ;)  )

He iced this male completely on his own while jiggin' in the shack.   I was jigging outside about 200' away  ;D

The female nailed my jig the instant I dropped it down the very first hole in 48 FOW.....they're not lunkers but was a good day  ;D

Sorry Jigstick......don't mean to highjack your thread.......but do you see the irony, in how it has brought people together?  ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:44 PM »
RIGHT ON TREVOR!!! ;D  Man its' great to see you and the boy did well indeed!!!

Yeah that's what I'm talking about!  Yes the kids do occupy a large chunk of my time, but then again, that's why we had them.  Football practices and games, baseball coaching, work, and building new additions to the house have kept me busy!  I understand the work vs. family fight...  I have weekends off now, so it does allow for more kid time, which is great when the weather cooperates. 
The fishing up here has been hit or miss, but it's still not bad.  My boys love fishing so my work has been done on this earth! ;D ;D  Never enough time in the season to fish everyday...
Great you posted some great photos!  Keep in touch once in a while and get that boy back on the ice!

(Ditto on the hijack Jigstick.)

- Barleydog

TEAM ALASKA

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:11 AM »
Guys do not sweat the hijack, done it a time or two myself. ;D

I was a little worried how this thread might turn out when I posted it and I see that I should not have been. Thanks to all who have posted, or will post, it has been a good read.

Offline ludifish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:36 AM »
Long time reader, recently joined. Won't even ask a question because of all the flack a new guy get's here.
I may not get old, but I'll die tryin'

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:25 AM »
Long time reader, recently joined. Won't even ask a question because of all the flack a new guy get's here.

Ludifish, I understand why you feel that way, but jump in with questions any time.   A lot of the members that were giving the rest of us a bad name were reprimanded or banned a few days ago.  Almost instantly the Michigan forum returned to talking about what it should have always been talking about... Ice Fishing!!  

I only weekend in Michigan a couple of times a month, but will answer any questions that I can.  There are plenty of others here that will do likewise.

Oh, and welcome to the Shanty!!

-Jeff

Offline mammathoner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Oprah Show and Jerry Springer, there's room for both in this world.
"Time spent wasted is not wasted time" - Keith Richards

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:09 PM »

I agree with what will turn out to be the majority here. If you have questions, fire away! If it works out right (and it usually does), soon you will be answering questions to the new folks as time passes. It's the nature of these types of forums for many questions to be repeats of questions already asked. After all this is only ice fishing, everything about it is supposed to be fun!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:11 PM »

Feel free to ask a question. Just dont ask which flasher you should get or post a link to ice fish baby.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:18 PM »
I blame it on the news and the economy!
Fish on!

Offline ludifish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:46 AM »
Feel free to ask a question. Just dont ask which flasher you should get or post a link to ice fish baby.
Well I guess I am all set there as I already have my Vex.
I may not get old, but I'll die tryin'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.