Author Topic: Should they make Ice Fishing an Olympic Sport?  (Read 11553 times)

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
Re: Should they make Ice Fishing an Olympic Sport?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 13, 2010, 09:51 AM »
"Let the games...I mean the pains begin!!"

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Hey Jimmy..."I believe" this thread could give give yours a "little competition"... ;D

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #62 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Wow....I'm appalled at how many experienced fisherman have relegated fishing to a simple "activity", "hobby", or pastime"  ??? ??? ???

For me it's a focus much larger than life itself.  On non-fishing days my day begins with a rigorous 2 hour training session in the home gym.  I then of course load all my kids and their friends into the Magnum Otter sled, hook it to my body harness, and head out into the field for 10 laps around the 20 acre property.  This I find preps me for those on-ice days of "run and gun"

After a nutritious lunch it's over to the local reservoir(there are no fish, but 10 acres of unoccupied ice) with my custom made 14" hand auger.  I attack the 39" of ice and leave for home only after 100 holes have been cleanly cut.  Safety nuts have no fear, the local municipality has dubbed me the local idiot but welcome my presence(I think for their entertainment).  They were kind enough to leave barricades for me so I can safe out the area each day before leaving  ;D

Now comes the "theory" portion of my day.  I have alloted 2 hours each afternoon for nurturing/conditioning my proverbial icefishing mind.  This is of course achieved by watching countless past episodes of In Fisherman Ice fishing videos, Youtube vids, reading past Ice Guide issues, and of course browsing the internet and filtering through to decipher the legitimate info from the misinformation.  After a couple hour break it's back into the gym for another two hours before retiring for the day.

Actual fishing days are a little less intense as my purpose is still to learn and refine skills however it is a mental break from the rigors of everyday life  :-\
I do however stick with an 8" hand auger to retain fitness.  I will only allow myself a power auger during actual "run and gun" competitions.

Sundays are my day off.

Last season we went as far as to install a NASA engineered Ice fishing simulator in our home.  This helps to keep things sharp in the off season eg: hookset reflexes, sonar interpretation, fish behavior observation, etc....  I have also constructed an ice drilliptical.  This is basically a weighted flywheel turned parallel to horizontal or perpendicular to vertical(if that's how ya think  ::) ) and a hand auger style handle attached to the center axle of the flywheel.  Resistance can be applied in either direction to work both sides of the upper body.  This really conditions those "Hole Drilling" muscles throughout the off season.

In all honestly, I really don't know how long I can keep this up   >:(  :(  :-\ .....I mean if it's not deemed an Olympic sport soon I will surely have passed my peak.....then my dreams of representing Canada at that level will surely be just that............... a dream  :( :( :(

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 13, 2010, 01:11 PM »
 Yes. Get rid of curling. ::)

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 13, 2010, 02:25 PM »
Curling is one of my favorites to watch! 

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 13, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Amen.
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Feb 13, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Who is gonna tell Team Poland that fishing is not permitted on the ice rink after the auger contest and figure breaking.. I mean skating competition is over???
Sorry...I couldn't resist. USA!USA!USA!USA! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #67 on: Feb 14, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Curling is one of my favorites to watch! 
I'm with ya, I love curling. Ya gotta love it when the Germans and Swedes get out there and start all the yelling, don't know what they're saying but it's cool ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:23 AM »
Sundays are my day off.

Trevor... We set this day aside for the manditory 5 species fillet work.   
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #69 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Trevor... We set this day aside for the manditory 5 species fillet work.  

This particular Sunday however is Valentine's day Jimmie, and the Mrs. has other ideas  ;D and I'm guessing it doesn't involve me being on this forum right now  :o  ;) She can't blame me though....it's an addiction  ;D  Like Tiger  ::)  ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #70 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:00 AM »
I believe a new International treatment center has been open in Canada... right next to the Olympic training facility.   ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #71 on: Feb 14, 2010, 01:01 PM »

Its not a sport, its a way of life... ;D ;D
Couldnt have said it any better :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:
You gotta admit though how cool would it be if ice fishing was in the olympics!
But then they would have to rename it the REDNECK winter olympics ;D
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline pikeaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 14, 2010, 02:27 PM »
Sign me up

Offline wesson4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Im all for it!!! :clap: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Fishing is not a sport, so it would fit well in the Olympics. Maybe right between ski jumping and curling.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #75 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Count me in it is supposed to be a amiture games remember  would be fun.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Fishing is not a sport, so it would fit well in the Olympics. Maybe right between ski jumping and curling.
Don't forget figure skating..... 8)
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline moshpitbull

• IceShanty Rookie
  • no shrimp
« Reply #77 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:49 AM »
you would think it would be with the amount of time we spend PRACTICING
dude, it looks like you painted black stripes on the backs of the baitfish!

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:43 AM »
I agree with adam bomb. I'd rather not see it in olympics, just because of the added fishing pressure. I am hoping more and more pleople get into video games and cell phones, you see the people who are ice fishing now are better than ever...
Luck about ice fishing...it takes time...some days you go fishless...but luck has very little to do with it. Let me tell you the lake or pond you fish is critical. Then where on the lake. then the depth, then the quality gear, with a skillfully designed leader, then the best possible baits, the correct size stlye and quality hook...once you get that taken care of it becomes a drilling jigging and locating game. There are tricks that come with experience, and the weather and cold and fishing pressure you need to contend with...knowledge of habitat biology, weeds, seasonal variations,topography, ph, currents, water temps, etc. etc. after all that there is some luck involved, but in this game, you put enough time in the luck component gets reduced across the board so it is not such a factor.
That said, mostly this is a game of the serious lone wolf fisherman or the flip side the barbacue beer drinking community event...not the greatest sport (although to me it is a sport) for spectators to watch...they see the fish caught...they don't know what led up to that moment.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #79 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:12 AM »
Here, educate yourself:

http://www.usaiceteam.com/

Word is the IOC is going to be on hand to consider inclusion into the Olympics.   

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #80 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:19 AM »
not the greatest sport (although to me it is a sport) for spectators to watch...they see the fish caught...they don't know what led up to that moment.

With the introduction of CG, Imax, and other tech innovations, we can spectate better than ever from the comfort of home or shanty.

Newly introduced... The Flagcam... Jiggvision....rodcam.. . And Walleye-eye ;D

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Fishing (hard and soft water) should really not be made into a competitive sport because it involves so many factors outside the control of the fisherperson....like the fish for instance...oh, wait a minute....figure skating....never mind.

BassMaster, the Professional Walleye Tour, etc. are just vehicles for manufacturers to market their products.....and the "Pros" are just highly
paid husksters....JMHO

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:49 AM »
I absolutly think it should be! 

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:13 AM »
I agree with adam bomb. I'd rather not see it in olympics, just because of the added fishing pressure. I am hoping more and more pleople get into video games and cell phones, you see the people who are ice fishing now are better than ever...
Luck about ice fishing...it takes time...some days you go fishless...but luck has very little to do with it. Let me tell you the lake or pond you fish is critical. Then where on the lake. then the depth, then the quality gear, with a skillfully designed leader, then the best possible baits, the correct size stlye and quality hook...once you get that taken care of it becomes a drilling jigging and locating game. There are tricks that come with experience, and the weather and cold and fishing pressure you need to contend with...knowledge of habitat biology, weeds, seasonal variations,topography, ph, currents, water temps, etc. etc. after all that there is some luck involved, but in this game, you put enough time in the luck component gets reduced across the board so it is not such a factor.
That said, mostly this is a game of the serious lone wolf fisherman or the flip side the barbacue beer drinking community event...not the greatest sport (although to me it is a sport) for spectators to watch...they see the fish caught...they don't know what led up to that moment.

The Definition of Luck is  " Where preparation meets opportunity".
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Feb 19, 2010, 04:26 PM »
I think John Madden would be a perfect commentator. That way he could draw squiggly lines showing the ice skaters unfortunate dealings with the auger holes as they lay in a heap waiting for a score.

Offline Night Eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Why would anyone watch figure skating? ::)

(Image removed from quote.)
    I want to see them skate after i drill 50 holes in there pond.

Offline PIKEHUNTER69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:33 PM »
we were just talking about that at the bar the other nite!  the USA would kick ass!!    if we could stay sober long enough!  :tipup:
NOTHING MAKES ME SMILE, LIKE A WHITETAILS GUT PILE!!!   WHITETAIL DOWN!! I REPEAT WHITETAIL DOWN!!!

Offline pa.bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 25, 2010, 01:30 PM »
we were just talking about that at the bar the other nite!  the USA would kick ass!!    if we could stay sober long enough!  :tipup:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:well said :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
got ice?

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 25, 2010, 02:07 PM »

I think the canadians and swedes might just have a thing or two to say about that!(both the fishing and drinking!)

As an irrelevent side note, if the polish are known as poles, why the heck are people from holland known as dutch??  surely they should be called holes?! could never work that out....

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 25, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Now you guys are thinking this Olympic ice fishing in the wrong direction. Take the luck and the fish out of it. Were talking, the ability to load your sled with 200 Kilo of crap that you might need. Once loaded, drag the damn thing 600 meters in2 feet of loose snow in a timed event. Next, drill 15 holes in 24 inches of ice with a 12 inch hand auger. Now rig and set 5 tip-ups. Each rigged for different species of fish in accordance with predetermined guide lines. Next you have to perform a set of mandatory list of jigging motions, with each of five different jigs. Wad ya think, better if alcohol is involved?  :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.