Author Topic: smelting?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Outdoorsmen

• IceShanty Rookie
smelting?
« on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:45 PM »
what is smelting not the kind of like iron and stuff but with little fishys i hear?
Dusty Gagnon... you buy the bait i'll catch the fish!
:icefish:

Offline PIKEHUNTER69

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: smelting?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:01 PM »
rainbow smelt   is a small baitfish  usually jigged up! 3'' to 6'' long+-  good for bait and eating
NOTHING MAKES ME SMILE, LIKE A WHITETAILS GUT PILE!!!   WHITETAIL DOWN!! I REPEAT WHITETAIL DOWN!!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:06 PM »
what is smelting not the kind of like iron and stuff but with little fishys i hear?

The process of catching smelt
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Tasty fish , small but tasty and very fun to catch, we get them here some over a foot long and catch em on 1" minnows, small guys work great for bait to
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Has any one ever fished for bait fish other than smelt while ice fishing?  That would be kind of neat to do especially when minnows are sold out everywhere.   

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:31 PM »
Has any one ever fished for bait fish other than smelt while ice fishing?  That would be kind of neat to do especially when minnows are sold out everywhere.   

There's this one spot I fish that produces nice fat 3-4 inch golden shiners!

Offline PIKEHUNTER69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:28 PM »
ya we jig for smelt and for goldens here in western mass! usually have pretty good luck with a hali jig and a mousie
NOTHING MAKES ME SMILE, LIKE A WHITETAILS GUT PILE!!!   WHITETAIL DOWN!! I REPEAT WHITETAIL DOWN!!!

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:30 AM »
my buddies son is 4 and he reached down in the water and caught a 6" chub with his bare hand...the poor kid still isnt allowed back in that bait shop HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2010, 01:06 PM »
I used to go smelting with my grandfather in the UP of Michigan.  We would go out at night, with big dip nets on the small creeks and rivers...I was quite small, but remember filling those nets sometimes....and loading a couple of washtubs full of 'smelts'...they were sooo tasty fried up later in the spring on trout fishing trips....

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Us Mainah's smelt on the tidal rivers up here.  It is a pretty big industry, there are about a dozen places that rent out shacks on some of the eddies in brackish water.  a few hundred personal shacks are also placed out on eddies around the costal areas of the state.  They cut "race holes" holes that are about a foot wide and run the hole length of the shack.  Then from a board near the celling 10-15 lines are attached that are then dropped and baited with blood worm/ sandworm ect. You either watch the lines and wait for them to move or jig.  Turns into a drunk fest 4-5 hours into the tide but a lot of fun
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2010, 04:43 PM »
In the Saguenay river, province of Quebec, a lot of people fish for smelt through the ice.  We are close to 100 miles upriver from the St-Lawrence yet there are 20 foot tides.  The smelt are caught on small hooks (size 12 to 8) and the number of hooks is unlimited.  I use 10 hooks tied about 3 inches apart on 6 lb test mono line.  The smelt are caught in very shallow water.  So shallow that at low tide, there is no water and the ice is sitting on the bottom.  However, as soon as there are a few inches of water, the smelt start biting.  The smelt are about 4 to 9 inches with a few approaching 12 inches in length.  The limit is 120 smelt.  Every once in a while, we catch a brook trout.

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2010, 07:28 AM »
I know a lot of people love them eating and catching....but I find them annoying to say the least hate when they wont leave my bait alone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.