Author Topic: Circle Hooks  (Read 1683 times)

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Circle Hooks
« on: Aug 31, 2023, 09:42 AM »
Going to try circle hooks on my tip ups this year and need some advice on them.  I read where it’s best to use the in-line circle hooks, true?  They also recommended size 4/0 for 5- 6 dead baits, true?  Your comments, advice, recommendations, etc appreciated.  Also, what brand hook is best?
Thanks

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Circle Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2023, 05:31 PM »
I started using them last winter so that i could release more of the pike that I catch. I love to eat fish, however most of the time now I do not want to clean more than 2 pike after fishing all day.

The circle hooks performed as they are advertised to on my tipups. I am not sure the brand or size, I just bought what looked basically equal in size to a size 6 treble hook and tied it on with a clinch knot. Whether using live or dead bait the results were the same - handle the line gently after a descent run by the fish. DO NOT jerk the line to try and set the hook, simply apply pressure with your fingers to stop the line from running and the fish will be hooked in the corner of the mouth as the hook was designed to do, 9 times out of 10, and this allows an easy hook pick and safe release of the fish. I am pretty impressed with circle hooks and intenmd to keep using them on the majority of my pike rigs now.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2023, 12:29 PM »
make sure that you are using th In-Line circle hooks. the offset ones will result in more gut hooked fish than the in-line ones

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2023, 09:35 PM »
here in MA, where we do a lot of striped bass fishing, offset hooks are prohibited for recreational striped bass fishing due to fish mortality. Only In-Line circle hooks are now required for the rec guys. Guys value their hooks more than the fish. I used to just cut the hook. Don't know if they survived but I was hopeful.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.