The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: big muskie out of lake aurthor??????  (Read 13977 times)

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
big muskie out of lake aurthor??????
« on: Sep 04, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Any one hear about a 54" muskie taken at lake aurthor (Morain state park)near 422 bridge?
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
Re: big muskie out of lake aurthor??????
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2007, 07:26 PM »
nope i havnt heard about anything that big. but i wouldnt doubt it. Thats right were my biggest muskies are always caught. my uncle was up on monday and he caught a nice 46 incher right in front of the church.

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2007, 05:28 PM »
I had A big muskie on over at the park regional office about 6 years ago had it up to the hole 3 times then the hook snapped and I lost it, It was bigger then any thing I have ever seen. The lake has plenty of feed and is now old enough to support a potential new record for PA . Close to 30 years and has never had fish kills due to disease.I think the monsters feed at night and on baits in the 12" to 15" range unfortunately so do the big channel catfish and they always seem to get to the bait first.But I have lost some huge teeth marks . Time will tell some on will catch one sooner or later.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2007, 06:51 PM »
i had one last year at the hole. it did the same thing it would come up then it would run down. it eventually bent the hook strait. This lake definetly hold the record in it. I believe its just a matter or time. are u saying u caught them at night with chubs under tip ups?? or are you talking about summer fishing at night

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2007, 09:35 PM »
was in february 47 steps off the shell point at at the park regional office. 11:40 am in 9 feet of water near a drop off was fishing a 6" river shiner from the slippery rock creek on a polar tipup about 2" off the bottom. The ice was about 3.5 thick it was bitter cold holes were freezing shut about 1/4" per hour. ITS burned into my mind I"ll never forget it.The muskie was wider then the 8" ice hole.I still think about it till this day and to me thats whats so great about ice  fishing you just never know whats going to happen when that flag pops now I"m really fired up for ice fishing this year.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2007, 06:44 PM »
howie wagner got one 53" offa nealies point  my best 45"  2"of ice nobody to gaff it ice to shakey finally mario did gaff it ill never take another one thats why i dont target them bass are easier to catch trolled my blackbird  lure no takers did see a suspended fish 10' off bottom in 28' fow it was half as wide as the bait ball it was under   :o :o :o :o on another note got a 8lb1oz 21" keeper  dominic is his name that makes 35 tipups to put in :embarassed:   mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2007, 07:07 PM »
He 1mo it was good to hear from you as you can see I"m still obsessed with that giant muskie I lost over the regional office.You should see the pic of the muskie Howard got out of lake Erie unbelievable I"LL show it to you some time.keep the faith!!!!!!! Jim

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:23 AM »
went out fishing friday night for the muskies, managed to bring in one very healthy 40 incher right in front of the church, they seem to only want DB-08's this year. Actually all of mine have hit the DB-08's with the black dots on them never the ones without

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2007, 09:18 AM »
Thats a good fish ..also if you stand with you"re back to Zoin Church to the left side right off point of the 422 bridge thats a good spot for muskies.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2007, 05:28 AM »
 I was talking to my buddy in church on Sunday and he told me that the fish commission had recently done some fish surveys with their shock system on the lake.
 He said that they reportedly found 60 muskies per acre.
 The northern pike and bass were also high but crappies were way down.
 Big fish eat little fish!

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:11 PM »
I agree big fish eat little fish .Aurthor is  a sleeper lake theirs giant muskies in that lake and more then one. Sure they get some nice muskie trolling around but nothing in the 50LB range.  Everyone on the planet's trolling.I think the really big muskies feed after all the other fish eat and their just suspending and laying around with full bellies. Then the giant old muskie strikes hes after the easy prey he don't want to chase some lure like the younger muskies.he wants something that is going to fill him up using the least amount of energy. Think about it every thing on this planet slows down with age fish cant be any different I would guess late night mid morning would be a good time fish big live bait and slow.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2007, 06:35 PM »
you know ive never thought of it that way but your right. the older they are the slower they are. thanx for the new perspective

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2007, 07:14 PM »
jayswimmer09  I'm not saying monster muskies never hit lures and their not  aggressive when they do strike. Their probably vicious . It's just my thinking probably because I just like to fish live bait. With all the new lures out their buzzing thru the water every day you would think their would have been more caught over 50lbs and they are out their.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:51 PM »
oh trust me if your going to catch a 50lber i know that your best bet is going to be to fish moraine.

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2007, 05:48 PM »
Jayswimmer09 have you ever done any fishing from shore off the stone bank right at the dam? I personally have never had any luck their. But their has to be some big fish because they always go over the dam thats why theirs so many muskies in the slippery rock.My son actually got 1 muskie their.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:17 PM »
i have never tried this. I am almost always in a boat trolling up moraine

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2007, 09:03 PM »
The big fish is a fact. It was caught but not released by a guy named Ramsey from Jefferson Hills Pa. It was over 50 inches and HUGE!!!  Pics were all over our area.   UNREAL

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2007, 05:49 PM »
Thanks for the info hardguy. Lake Arthur is a great lake. It has started its change the water is starting to cool the water from the lake coming out at the bottom of the dam is dirty murky green.A sure sign the lake is  about to turn over winter is on the way ;D :tipup:

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 23, 2007, 07:15 PM »
wohoo!!!! man the hard water itch is getting tough to not scratch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.