The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: SNOW STORM FISHING  (Read 2988 times)

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
SNOW STORM FISHING
« on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Any one have much luck fishing in a snow storm like the one upcoming tomorrow. I see the pressure is dropping steadily now. I probably just answered my own question.

icewagon

Re: SNOW STORM FISHING
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Most of my best days were during snow storms. Hard for me to get out during snow now gotta plow the state roads.

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Don't know if it's better or worse, I just know I hate fishing in it......

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:23 PM »
My favorite time to ice fish is just before a big storm; it was good this eve. ;)

Offline clhuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:06 PM »
I fished the other day In a snow storm  it sure didnt help.  Don't think it hurt either tho hah.  was fishing  the bottom of 90 foot of water for lake trout. 

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:37 AM »
I been out in a snow storm many times. Never really did that great. Hardly worth getting all my stuff wet either.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:37 AM »
I've fished in snow storms a few times and good and bad days.  I'd much rather be deer hunting during a snow storm than fishing.

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2015, 05:21 AM »
I've seen a good & bad bite during a snow storm. Usually the barometer is falling or has fallen during a "storm". Which , lower pressure usually means a decent bite. Not as good as "normal " barometer but certainly better than a bluebird,sunny high pressure day. IMO the wind direction during that storms makes the difference . The old adage wind outa the East fish bite the least , wind outa the West fish bite the best. Is usually spot on for me. In my older age I've become more  of an oportinistic fisherman . If it's any variant of an East wind I usually am no where near fishing gear. Hope that helps.
Don't horse em!

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:42 AM »
my best day was in a white out

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:52 AM »
I too have had good an bad days during and before a storm .I don't like bright blue sky or wind out of east.other than that fish when you can

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:06 AM »
I really avoid fishing in snow storm but have in the pasts. Two memorable times where a unbelievable double Panfish limit my son and I just pounded big bulls and slab crappie out of two holes in a two man shanty. There was about 4 or 5 inches of snow when we emerged from the shanty. The other was a white out blizzard that only lasted 20 minutes,but when it was over we had two flags up that produced a 39and 41.5 inch pike.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Well just got back waited till after the storm and snow blowed the driveway. Sure is different trudging through the snow instead of just ice creepers. Not much of a bite couple gills and perch. Didn't really go to where I wanted to but just had  to try it. Stopped in the bar afterwards it was a good day.

Offline THEcrappieslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • #FISHON
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Got hit with 6inches today and gonna hold off fishing till tommrow always been a pain in the ass to fish in a storm
All I DO IS CATCH IS FISH. "ALL NIGHT LONG"

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:13 PM »
I fished this afternoon after I got done plowing and did decent.  Iced enough perch for a dinner for me and my wife. However the fish wanted about zero movement on the jig.  Even holding the rod "still" in my hand was to much motion.  Yhey wanted it dead sticked 2 feet off the bottom.  Once I figured this out I just set the rod on the bucket and watched the hummingbird.  One right after the other when I started doing that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.