The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Changes in PA senior lifetime fishing licenses. Starting Jan 1.  (Read 13570 times)

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
This has been rumored for a couple years now, but it looks like it is going through on January 1st.  Lifetime license holders will now need to buy a trout stamp every year if they want to fish for trout.  Below info was copied from the PFBC FAQ page.

"I have/want a Senior Resident Lifetime license...do I have to buy a new Trout/Salmon Permit and/or Lake Erie Permit each year?
    Yes for a Trout/Salmon Permit, no for a Lake Erie Permit.
Beginning January 1, 2015, Senior Resident Lifetime License holders will be required to purchase a Trout/Salmon Permit each year that the license holder desires to fish for trout.

However, a Senior Resident Lifetime License holder who purchased a Trout/Salmon Permit or a Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie Permit before January 1, 2015 is "grandfathered", they remain exempt from the requirement to purchase a Lake Erie Permit annually.

A person who purchases a Senior Resident Lifetime License and fishes in Lake Erie or its tributaries is only required to purchase one Lake Erie Permit which is valid for the licensee's lifetime. Also, if a Senior Resident Lifetime License holder purchases a combination permit on or after January 1, 2015, the Lake Erie portion of the combo permit will be valid for the licensee's lifetime; however, Senior Resident Lifetime License holders will be required to purchase a Trout/Salmon Permit each following year that the license holder desires to fish for trout.

If you bought your Senior Lifetime License before January 1, 1991, you are exempt from having a Trout/Salmon Permit. This "grandfather" exemption is not applicable for a Lake Erie Permit.  "

Copied from the PFBC website- http://fishandboat.com/faqlice.htm#sr2
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
typical pa that's a pain in the arse. Theres no real savings to buying one anyway amounts to about 6 bucks over the 5 years.

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
typical pa that's a pain in the arse. Theres no real savings to buying one anyway amounts to about 6 bucks over the 5 years.

Jarhead, I believe you are talking about the multi year licenses.  I posted about Senior Lifetime licenses.  Senior annual licenses are $10.70.  Lifetime licenses are 51.70.  If you live longer than 5 years, its significantly cheaper.  The change in regulation is that lifetime license holders must now buy a trout stamp every year.  It was set up before that if you bought a lifetime license and a trout stamp, you did not need to purchase another trout stamp again.

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram

Offline augerbit

• IceShanty Rookie
I'll have to panhandle on Cameron St. to buy a new fishing lic.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Don,
  A senior lifetime lisence is good for 5 years not forever!! At 10.70 each year its no cheaper than buying it year to year.You still have to get the trout/salm,on stamp also.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Page 32 of 2014 PA fishing regs.: Resident senior lifetime license holders are required to purchase only one permit for a lifetime.
I bought the lic. ($51.70) plus a trout stamp ($9.70), which will be good until I no longer need them!  ::) 
It looks like they are eliminating the lifetime trout stamp option.
Someone probably figured out that some of us seniors are still mobile, have too much time to fish, and catch too many trout!    :laugh:

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
Don,
  A senior lifetime lisence is good for 5 years not forever!! At 10.70 each year its no cheaper than buying it year to year.You still have to get the trout/salmon stamp also.

Jarhead,

Let me try to explain this better.  What you are saying is not accurate.  A lifetime license is valid for the rest of your life, not just 5 years, and is available for anyone turning 65 in the license year.  However, there is a 5 year senior resident license available, which quite frankly I don't see why anyone would buy.  This is the same price and is a different license than a lifetime license. 

Go here (http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/licenses.html) and you will see a lifetime option and a 5 year option.  Both are 51.70, but they are different licenses.  When we print them out, a senior lifetime is deisgnated with 'SL', while a multi year license has an expiration year, like '19'.

You are correct about the trout stamp, according to the new regulations.

One other change is this- " In the event the license holder is no longer a Pennsylvania resident, the license continues to be valid".

I hope that explains it better.

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Was just looking at the link. That sure doesn't make any sense that a 5 yr. senior license would be the same price as a lifetime senior license.  ???

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
Was just looking at the link. That sure doesn't make any sense that a 5 yr. senior license would be the same price as a lifetime senior license.  ???

Yep, baffles me too.  Needless to say, I've never sold a 5 year senior lol.

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is it still set up that no matter when your birthday is in the year you will turn 65,you can purchase a lifetime license Jan.1st of that year ?

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Changes in PA senior lifetime fishing licenses. Starting Jan 1.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Reg, If I'm not mistaken, I think you can buy the 2015 license as of Dec 1,2014. That's basically when they become available for the coming season, which also makes them a great stocking stuffer for Christmas.   Lou

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:08 AM »
Is it still set up that no matter when your birthday is in the year you will turn 65,you can purchase a lifetime license Jan.1st of that year ?

Yes that is true.  Licenses go on sale dec 1, but you can't buy a senior lifetime until January 1st of the year you turn 65
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram

Offline D.Deck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:12 PM »
I emailed the Pa. Fish Com. about being having a life time license, would I have to buy a trout stamp starting 2015. They told me that I'm grand fathered and would only have to  purchase an additional stamp to fish Lake Erie or it's tribe's. I bought my senior lifetime license and trout stamp in 2003. Home this helps.

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:29 AM »
i e-mailed the commission yesterday to get some better clarification.  I asked them these three scenarios and here are the responses directly from them.  Commission answers in red.

1- Customer bought a senior lifetime license with trout stamp/erie combo permit between 2000 and 2014.  Will they have to buy any other permits starting Jan 1 No other permits are required.  Grandfathered in for the Trout Salmon permit and the Lake Erie Permit is still a lifetime permit with a senior lifetime license.

2-Customer bought a senior lifetime license with just a trout stamp between 2000 and 2014.  Will they need to buy another trout stamp in 2015?  No, Grandfathered in.

3-Customer bought a senior lifetime license with just a Erie permit between 2000 and 2014.  Will they need to buy another erie permit?  No, Lake  Erie Permits are not affected, they are still a lifetime permit with a senior lifetime license

I have read this over and over in the regulation book and the FAQ section online and it is not entirely clear whether someone with a lifetime license, before 2015, is granfathered from buying a trout stamp every season.  ONLY if they have purchased a trout/salmon permit before Jan 1, 2015.   If they did not previously have a trout salmon permit, they would have to purchase annual permits after Jan 1.

Hope that clears up any discrepancies.  So, if you have a senior lifetime license and think you might fish trout in the future, get your permit this month and save yourself some money down the line.

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA