The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: To vex or not to vex. That is the question!  (Read 13999 times)

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
Re: To vex or not to vex. That is the question!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:18 AM »
That's like asking a bowhunter; to treestand or not to treestand? And then going and making the argument that plenty of deer are shot by bowhunters that are on the ground...........which is true, but most seasoned hunters would agree that your odds go up considerbly by using a treestand.

But, since you already seem convinced, I'll make a proposition; You pick the lake, I'll show up with a flasher and use it, you fish without a flasher, we each use one jigging rod, we bet $100.00 on who catches the most fish in a three hour period, loser pays the other persons gas bill in addition to the $100.00........any lake you want.

×2
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline dakota

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:38 AM »
20 years ago I used a schooley rod and a spoon auger, times change. A vex is a nice tool to have. I've fished with and without, If im fishing shallow water 5 feet or less the vex will stay home but anything deeper I don't fish without it now. I can see fish on the vex and if they aren't biting I can switch baits or move to a productive hole. Just because I use a vex doesn't mean I am not a real fisherman, hell I would say 60 or 70% of the people on this site use electronics, and I know there are some damn good "real ice fisherman" on this site.
Semper Fi            ;IGY6
I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:25 AM »
I'm willing to bet the majority of guys with a flasher will out fish the OP on his home water.  There are always some guys who just can't catch a fish even if they are right on them.

I'd get a marcum though

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Hey Huckster, you hit no nerve of mine, just making a point. I'd also bet that if you used a flasher for four hours and didn't use one for four hours, you'd catch many more fish during the time you were using a flasher.
And I'm no great ice fisherman, but I'm lucky because I get to spend a good bit of time on the ice with guys who really are great ice fishermen. And I've been using flashers long enough to know what you are missing - fish.
I respect you compleatly for not using one, it's your choice. But, just because it's your choice, does not make it the best choice.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2014, 12:29 PM »
20% of the guys catch 80% of the fish!  Most of the time

Offline jigger315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2014, 02:21 PM »
20% of the guys catch 80% of the fish!  Most of the time

X2

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2014, 03:44 PM »
For me flasher,once used you cant go back.but those who catch a lot with out hats off to you,that is if your jigging.just fished a tournament  with 34 teams and 3 rd place winners had no electronics!!!!.
The real question is how good you are,enter a tournament that has some seasoned ice fisherman.
Put your $$$$ money where your mouth is ;D

Must say though the guy who does great with out is a better fisherman,if disagree go without your  flasher next time.
As far as brand buy American!!!!!
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:46 PM »
U won't be able to wipe the smile off ur face the first time u use one. Will increase ur catch rate 10 fold !

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:01 PM »
Hard water, or open water. In my pail, or on my boat. I like to take advantage of good electronics to get the advantage over many kinds of fish. This is never so true during open water season, easy to cover vast amounts  of water to locate not only fish, but bottom contour as well, mark waypoints, transfer waypoints and depths to my hand held GPS and ice fish these same spots with pin point accuracy when the lakes freeze over. When I get to my ice fishing destination, I usually have a plan as to where to go, what depths I'll be fishing and what type of structures I'll be fishing, whether it be a hard bottom, soft bottom, rocks and boulders, or wood and submerged stumps I than whip out the VEX and go to work. This is all due to the fact that I utilize many types of electronics in every one of my fishing trips. The use of all these different type of electronics has made me a better fisherman as well.......

icewagon

« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:55 PM »
To vex or not to vex? That is the question! Iv been icefishing for almost 30 yrs. never used vexilar or sonar and always caught fish. A lot of guys swear by them but I disagree. I drill a lot of holes and stay on the move targeting fish that are on the feed. Iv watched a vex fisherman stay at one hole for an hr with no fish!!! His vex probably showed fish that were not feeding. Shortly after, I walked off with a limit. Just my opinion fellas but the thrill of the chase to find fish is half the reason Iv loved this sport my whole life! Maybe I'm just old school but a real icefisherman doesn't need technology to catch fish! Just my opinion. Sorry.... I'm sure this post will get some people excited. Don't mean to disrespect anyone. Again.... Just a man and his thoughts...... And a freezer full of fillets that should get me through till next season!

I 'm with you even if I could or would catch more fish would not use a flasher. There is already enough competition in life ,I want fishing to remain fun for me , not a video game or for money. You are a brave man Huckster to make a stand on what you think is right for you. I've made the same choice ,for ice fishing and gotten the same response and worse, had one guy ,try to equalize a power auger with a flasher, ridiculous a power auger only allows you to drill a hole same as a hand auger . Equating a tree stand to electronics is also ridiculous ,in no way does the tree or the stand tell you when a deer is coming , by the way I hunt from the ground and have a freezer full of venison and fish.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2014, 01:46 AM »
10% of fishermen get 90% of the fish,just saying. I'm blessed and fall in the 10%(not bragging ) I've had a passion for fishing and hunting all my life and it go the extra steps to be successful at it. Yes I caught buckets of fish for 40 years without a VEX but just think of the 1000"s of fish that got by high or the lookers that I didn't know where there to work on. Yes the last 14 years of Vex fishing have been great. My Vex is a very valuable tool but all it does is show you fish,the rest is up to YOU,you got to figure them out make them bite (on tough days) I fished yesterday,five guys jigging a small weed bed, 18,15,5,4,1 keepers where caught,all icemen had a VEX some figured out what made them bite some didn't. My son and I did 18,15 keepers,lure,bait,presentation,when to jig when to pause,and we cut over 30 holes and move,find out the strike zone(how far they chase) before they sink away,I learn something everytime I fish,yesterday I learn that the big fish wanted a lot of meat,I put 2 big juicy wax worms on or 7 spikes on a size 12 Diamond jig, I never fish that way but it kept the dinks away(almost) My son use only a clean Ratso and got 15 so he figure out a certain presentation that worked,I tried a Rastso and had NO luck on keepers,two totally different approaches but the same results.When there pounding anyone can get fish but on a tough  day it's work and it's FISHING and can beat you up.To be successful you got to work hard and refine your skills and remember every trick you learn,because someday they'll work again.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2014, 06:53 AM »
come on guys I want to hear all the guys that have used flashers and got rid of them to fish old school because it was too easy or like a video game.dont be bashfull,it cant be just the guys who don't have one saying they don't want one ;D ;D ;D

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2014, 07:26 AM »
[quote author=icewagon link=topic=285509.msg2971193#msg2971193 date=139251932qh you even if I could or would catch more fish would not use a flasher. There is already enough competition in life ,I want fishing to remain fun for me , not a video game or for money. You are a brave man Huckster to make a stand on what you think is right for you. I've made the same choice ,for ice fishing and gotten the same response and worse, had one guy ,try to equalize a power auger with a flasher, ridiculous a power auger only allows you to drill a hole same as a hand auger . Equating a tree stand to electronics is also ridiculous ,in no way does the tree or the stand tell you when a deer is coming , by the way I hunt from the ground and have a freezer full of venison and fish.
[/quote]
Everyone does as they please.
Now your argument makes no sense,tree stands get way more mature deer.as far as sportsman were talking with a bow not a high power with a scope.
So some fish with electronics and some hunt with primitive methods.I harvested one ten point from the ground,but a lot more from the stand.
Flasher or not ,lets go fishing and have a good time.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

icewagon

« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2014, 09:40 AM »
10% of fishermen get 90% of the fish,just saying. I'm blessed and fall in the 10%(not bragging ) I've had a passion for fishing and hunting all my life and it go the extra steps to be successful at it. Yes I caught buckets of fish for 40 years without a VEX but just think of the 1000"s of fish that got by high or the lookers that I didn't know where there to work on. Yes the last 14 years of Vex fishing have been great. My Vex is a very valuable tool but all it does is show you fish,the rest is up to YOU,you got to figure them out make them bite (on tough days) I fished yesterday,five guys jigging a small weed bed, 18,15,5,4,1 keepers where caught,all icemen had a VEX some figured out what made them bite some didn't. My son and I did 18,15 keepers,lure,bait,presentation,when to jig when to pause,and we cut over 30 holes and move,find out the strike zone(how far they chase) before they sink away,I learn something everytime I fish,yesterday I learn that the big fish wanted a lot of meat,I put 2 big juicy wax worms on or 7 spikes on a size 12 Diamond jig, I never fish that way but it kept the dinks away(almost) My son use only a clean Ratso and got 15 so he figure out a certain presentation that worked,I tried a Rastso and had NO luck on keepers,two totally different approaches but the same results.When there pounding anyone can get fish but on a tough  day it's work and it's FISHING and can beat you up.To be successful you got to work hard and refine your skills and remember every trick you learn,because someday they'll work again.

Captain 54 sounds like you had 40 years of successful fishing and hunting , sorry to hear u felt the need to up the ante. And yes moslab I have had some of my buds put their transducer down the hole, I was fishing ,after their whole spiel of this is your jig and that's the bottom I MADE THEM REMOVE IT. When I take my grandkids on the ice to get them away from the TV ,video games or what ever electronic are wasting their time , it would make me a Hypocrite to set them in front of a flasher.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Fish without a flasher by choice, yes I had a vex fl8 used it a few times and didn't notice much of a difference, sold it and never looked back.  Catch more than enough fish, outfish my buddys that all have them 90% of the time, I don't need a distinct advantage, I know the lakes I fish very well , now if I went to a strange lake it would be nice.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Fish without a flasher by choice, yes I had a vex fl8 used it a few times and didn't notice much of a difference, sold it and never looked back.  Catch more than enough fish, outfish my buddys that all have them 90% of the time, I don't need a distinct advantage, I know the lakes I fish very well , now if I went to a strange lake it would be nice.
wow ??? ::)

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 17, 2014, 05:46 AM »
Right on ice wagon!!! I was starting to feel like the red headed step child!! Ha ha! Glad to know there's someone else with the same view!

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:50 AM »
"come on guys I want to hear all the guys that have used flashers and got rid of them to fish old school because it was too easy or like a video game.dont be bashfull,it cant be just the guys who don't have one saying they don't want one"

1Mo

I have used flashers, still own one, hardly ever use it now, well never lately.
I used it two years ago on Pisgah. The water was muddy, and big crappies were suspended in the mess.
Caught some nice slabs, but I felt that something was missing from the experience, and that something was my skill.

I fish "old school" like you said, and yes, because I feel that the sonar is too easy, much easier than the average video game,
which I am very bad at...just ask my grandchildren   lol.  But...If the use of these devices get people out of the house, and on the ice....Great!

Icewagon

"When I take my grandkids on the ice to get them away from the TV ,video games or what ever electronic are wasting their time , it would make me a Hypocrite to set them in front of a flasher."

I agree completly, thank you.

Almost all of the people that I fish with use a sonar of some kind...They are fishing for every fish, and catching more ...in numbers. But my one friend, and I  fish old schcool, and on most days, put larger fish in the bucket. 

Then there is the issue of ethics,  which is discussed in a long thread on the "Grumpy old men shanty"

I suggest readers of this thread go there and read more about the use of electronics on the ice.

The threads title is "Technology, and ethics in the outdoors."

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=277172.0

Not trying to send people away from your thread, Fishhuckster...thank you for starting it.

Tight lines to all,  users and nonusers..

ford

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:07 AM »
I VOTE VEX.Anyone who stays at a hole not catching fish for over a hour with or without a vex is a LAZY FISHERMAN in my eyes.SORRY TO OFFEND anyone.I fish with a VEXILAR fl 18 and love it.Ill drill a dozen holes before i start fishing.Then check them with the flasher.any hole with fish i mark with a x on the snow or ice.Then ill fish them holes.After that ill recheck the empty hole for fish.Ill only fish a hole for 20MIN. if im not getting fish then i move on.After i fish the first dozen holes Ill drill more if the action is slow but,most times i can get enough fish in the first 12 holes.The only time ill stay at a unactive hole for a period of time is right before dark if there is fish in the hole.They 9 times out of 10 turn on.MY OPPINON.GOOD LUCK.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:46 AM »
I fish a lot like you Chez,drill,put the VEX down and check, fish,if nothing shows up in 15 minutes or so MOVE. I say we drill 25 holes or more every time out.Then other fishermen will say you and your son always get fish! Yea we work for them,I'm not sitting in a hole all day not getting fish and can't see why you don't want kids to use this valuable tool to get some action and have fun.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Caught a lot of fish in those "empty" holes!!!

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 17, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Very interesting thread ford. Thanks for showing the link. I was raised in a similar fashion. We didn't have a whole lot growin up but my father always provided for us by growin it, raising it, catching it, or hunting it. But the best thing he did for us was he taught us how to do it too. That was a lesson that was priceless! It taught me and my family not to rely on technology or anyone for that matter, but yourself and the knowledge and skills you posess. I think that's why it just means more to me when I go home after a successful outing, be it fishing, hunting, or whatever, without the added advantages of the technology we all have at our disposal today. Just for the record.... I hunt with a stick bow. The same one my father used in fact. And I really can't explain the feeling of acomplishment after successfully bagging a nice 9 pointer with it!! My father is 71 and although he can't pull that old stick bow back anymore, he still gets out on the ice every chance he gets! Thanks again ford for reminding me where I came from.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 17, 2014, 11:47 AM »
I fish a lot like you Chez,drill,put the VEX down and check, fish,if nothing shows up in 15 minutes or so MOVE. I say we drill 25 holes or more every time out.Then other fishermen will say you and your son always get fish! Yea we work for them,I'm not sitting in a hole all day not getting fish and can't see why you don't want kids to use this valuable tool to get some action and have fun.

Im with you 100% CAPTAIN 54.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 17, 2014, 11:53 AM »
come on guys I want to hear all the guys that have used flashers and got rid of them to fish old school because it was too easy or like a video game.dont be bashfull,it cant be just the guys who don't have one saying they don't want one ;D ;D ;D

LET that guy loan a flasher 1 day and his mind would be changed.I would be glad to take him with me and let him use mine.I never met a guy who had a Flasher and said he didnt like it.Use it once and you hooked.I will say this,I have a friend who dont have a flasher and he will catch almost as much fish as me but i put him in the area.If he ever got a flasher id be outfished for sure.He knows who im talking about too.Good Luck guys.

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:32 PM »
Well chez, I sat with a guy who fished with one and he showed me exactly how it worked and what the jig looked like and when a fish came to check it out and.... To my amazement.... He even caught a nice perch right before my very eyes!!! However.... I'll always remember before walking off the ice with a limit of gills( panfish enhancement lake limit of 20 per specie) and 4 big perch, the count for that fellow was 6 perch and three barely legal bluegills and he was already on the ice when I showed up there. So although Iv never personally stuck one down any of my holes, I'm not totally ignorant to how they work contrary to what everyone seems to think.

Offline barch7

• IceShanty Rookie
  • gulkanariver
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I love it when that big red bar comes up to my minnow-tipped jig, and then BOOM!  Fish On!

Offline bullscrickbowfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:36 PM »
I'd sooner drill my holes with a plastic butter knife than I would leave the flx28 at the house

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Fished with guys that have the Vex's, and some "know" how to use it very well, the average guy with one don't know how to use theirs, like I say some guys are VERY good with theirs!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Well chez, I sat with a guy who fished with one and he showed me exactly how it worked and what the jig looked like and when a fish came to check it out and.... To my amazement.... He even caught a nice perch right before my very eyes!!! However.... I'll always remember before walking off the ice with a limit of gills( panfish enhancement lake limit of 20 per specie) and 4 big perch, the count for that fellow was 6 perch and three barely legal bluegills and he was already on the ice when I showed up there. So although Iv never personally stuck one down any of my holes, I'm not totally ignorant to how they work contrary to what everyone seems to think.
that just shows that he cant fish not that the flasher did not help him and I don't think anyone is saying that you cant be a great fisherman without electronics just that you will be better with them.to say that they would not improve your fishing I think is just a naïve statement

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Maybe what really makes a fisherman great is not his ability to use technology to make him better, but to master his own ability til he has the confidence to say he doesn't feel he needs to become any better. Don't get me wrong... I enjoy the technology or I would never have been able to start this thread. I just don't feel that I need any type of sonar to make me better. My personal limit is 20 to 30 fish/trip. That's enough to clean at one time. I get 2 meals outta that for my family. One to eat fresh and one for the freezer. I do that pretty much every time I go out. No sonars needed. I can understand the guys that use em for the thrill of the screen lighting up when a fish comes for his last bite. I will admit there is a bit of a thrill watching it happen. But to say one needs it to become a better fisherman? That sounds naive to me!! As someone pointed out, "the guy doesn't know how to catch fish! It's not that the flasher didn't help him." It's an interesting point because weather or not the guy can catch fish or not we may never know. But let's say he can't. The only thing that's gonna help him get better is honing his skills as a fisherman. It's funny. When a guy uses a sonar unit and doesn't do very well, they say well it was a slow day or that guy can't catch fish. But when you light em up you say oh I couldn't have done it without my flasher!!! Come on guys!!! Have a little faith in yourselves. Everybody has the potential

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.