Author Topic: Grand lake/ granby  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
Grand lake/ granby
« on: Mar 30, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Gotta head up to grand lake for work next week and was wondering how the ice was or if I was better off just hitting the canal with the long rod. I know granby is a slushfest but is the ice fishing on grand lake any good? Dont really care what I catch just dont want to sit in the motel

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Grand lake/ granby
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2019, 09:00 AM »
I fished the canal quite a bit in spring back in the day. Always a good time and easier than ice fishing.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:43 AM »
I fished the canal quite a bit in spring back in the day. Always a good time and easier than ice fishing.
I've heard it's a blast! Just have to find a spot on the bank that doesnt have 4' of snow lol

Offline A10FLYR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Ice was good yesterday. Snowmobiles all over Granby. Make sure you have an extension.
Dean

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Hit granby last night near one of the dams, couldn't get my sonar to work with that much ice... flying blind made it tough, couple bites but nothing caught. Were going to give willow creek a whirl tonight and see how it goes

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2019, 09:17 AM »
Gotta head up to grand lake for work next week and was wondering how the ice was or if I was better off just hitting the canal with the long rod. I know granby is a slushfest but is the ice fishing on grand lake any good? Dont really care what I catch just dont want to sit in the motel
If it helps to know the slush is workable now.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2019, 10:11 PM »
If it helps to know the slush is workable now.
We gave it a shot but with a hand auger and our only sonar being my little deeper ball we decided the one night was enough. 30 minutes to make 3 holes that were in no way straight and there is to much ice for my sonar to work floating around on top of almost 30" of ice. You late season guys are nuts!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2019, 11:45 AM »
We gave it a shot but with a hand auger and our only sonar being my little deeper ball we decided the one night was enough. 30 minutes to make 3 holes that were in no way straight and there is to much ice for my sonar to work floating around on top of almost 30" of ice. You late season guys are nuts!!

No one uses a hand auger any more. No slush using a power auger-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2019, 11:53 AM »
I do, courtesy of stinky. Or I wouldn't have had an ice season. My arms are in pretty good shape  ;D

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2019, 12:27 PM »
I do, courtesy of stinky. Or I wouldn't have had an ice season. My arms are in pretty good shape  ;D

Back in the day I had some pretty good guns turning an 8" Mora at 11-mile and Granby.  ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Lakenater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Now you have big calves from riding that bike!

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2019, 11:56 AM »
I honestly prefer a hand auger in 90% of my fishing. I'm always on foot so i like keeping it light and I keep the blades really sharp. 30+ inches is pretty tough though especially when the holes fills with slush and water about 8 inches in. Thankful we only had to walk about 1000 yards this time though instead of 2 miles lol

Offline A10FLYR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2019, 10:13 AM »
On Mike's camera it looks like a couple of wet spots out by deer island?
Dean

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2019, 03:08 PM »
I honestly prefer a hand auger in 90% of my fishing. I'm always on foot so i like keeping it light and I keep the blades really sharp. 30+ inches is pretty tough though especially when the holes fills with slush and water about 8 inches in. Thankful we only had to walk about 1000 yards this time though instead of 2 miles lol
i highly recommend this auger drill setup it’s below 8lbs. :)

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 09, 2019, 10:40 PM »
i highly recommend this auger drill setup it’s below 8lbs. :)

Yeah I debated spending the money on the k drill which looks to be nearly the same thing. I made a little adapter in my shop for my 8" eskimo to work with a drill and it worked alright but I dont think it would have made it through all that ice. My drill has a safety setting that shuts the drill down before it breaks my wrist lol. Maybe next season!

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2019, 10:42 PM »
On Mike's camera it looks like a couple of wet spots out by deer island?

Not sure if they are letting water in or if it's just naturally flowing in but there is a small stream that runs under 34 right into granby and its flowing pretty steadily, with the warm temps up here the last couple days on top of that I wouldn't be surprised if that end was a slushy nightmare

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 11, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Not sure if they are letting water in or if it's just naturally flowing in but there is a small stream that runs under 34 right into granby and its flowing pretty steadily, with the warm temps up here the last couple days on top of that I wouldn't be surprised if that end was a slushy nightmare
I can with confidence tell you that the drill I linked to above can cut like knife through butter even 28 inches of ice. :)

K-Drill works great as well, much better than gas or electric for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.