Author Topic: Curlew Lake Reports  (Read 18749 times)

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Curlew Lake Reports
« on: Nov 01, 2017, 11:14 PM »
The place for big Yellow Perch, Rainbow Trout, and Tiger Muskie.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Curlew Lake Reports
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:24 AM »
Hit Curlew on New Year's day. Ice was 5-8" out in front of the state park and the road in had been plowed down to the ramp.

Had an amazing morning with well over 50 fish caught in a just a few hours. Hope you enjoy the video.

&feature=youtu.be

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:56 AM »
Thanks for the video you sure put a hurt on some nice perch. We are thinking of moving to the state of Washington to be near family. I being from the north love to ice fish but found very little on the subject in Washington. Not sure where lake Curlew is but does produce some nice fish. We would be moving north of Spokane Wa. in the Northeast  part of the state. Will be watching for your posts under the state of Washington if you post anymore videos of ice fishing. Thanks and good luck fishing.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:50 AM »
I’m seeing a road-trip, and soon! Thanks for the videos, keep ‘em coming!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:17 AM »
I think we are going to try Curlew this weekend. Working on putting the trip together now.  ;D

Offline Hamop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:02 PM »
I'll be at Curlew this Saturday!  Hope to see some of you out there. 

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:14 AM »
I'll be at Curlew this Saturday!  Hope to see some of you out there.
We will be there. Looks like we will have good weather. Hopefully the Fish cooperate!

Offline wlai

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:56 PM »
I am thinking about going out to Curlew as well...one question, where can I pick up some spring bobbers and small jigs on the way from the West Side?  Would Sportsman Warehouse in Wenatchee have them?

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:32 AM »
I am thinking about going out to Curlew as well...one question, where can I pick up some spring bobbers and small jigs on the way from the West Side?  Would Sportsman Warehouse in Wenatchee have them?

I am checking with my cousin who lives there in Wenatchee. I will post once I have an answer one way or the other for you. I know they were purchasing ice fishing stuff this week, but I don't know if they went there to do it.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:40 AM »

She says that they have ice equipment, but that it is selling out quickly and there was not a lot to choose from. Sounds like you may want to give them a call before stopping in there.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:31 PM »

We have ice fishing equipment at North 40 Outfitters in Omak on the way. Stop by and see me (Tyler) or Jack. Be sure and pick up a pack a spring bobbers too!

Offline wlai

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Thanks!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Hit Curlew today and iced 18 perch to go along with several trout (released). Ice was variable, but 8-9 inches where we were with 4-5 of that being nice and clear. Other holes drilled showed only half the clear ice. There was 5-6 inches of water/slush on top. The perch bite was incredibly light, difficult to see/feel at times. We caught some great sized fish including one perch that was between 11-12 inches. We will be back at it tomorrow!

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:27 PM »
Awesome! A spring bobber is a must on this lake.

Offline wlai

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I hit Curlew today...first time ice fishing. Arrived at 1pm and fished about three hours.  Tried out my gear and worked out the basics. Caught and released three juvenile rainbow at about 22 ft of water, so not being skunked I’d call it a success!

On the way out I heard a group of 4 or 5 were slaying perch at a different part of the lake. Oh well, I had fun and enjoy a good day.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2018, 10:08 PM »
That may have been us they were talking about. We iced 40 jumbos today! Great way to spend my birthday out on the ice! We didn’t see any other groups catching them the way we were. The bite is still light and SpiltMilt is correct. A very noodl-y rod or spring bobber would help. We did ok with our ugly stick ice rods though. Just really had to watch. A flasher unit was a huge help to see when schools were moving through.

Offline wlai

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2018, 11:16 PM »
Well I should have came by and wish you a Happy Birthday!  I was in an orange jacket and hat.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Next time! We had the red Eskimo shelter setup out to the right of the state park ramp if you were standing on the dock looking at the lake. We were pretty much the only group in our area for most of the day. We did have a couple people move in or around us a few times, but they never stayed long. Hopefully the ice holds for a while longer up there. There are parts of that lake that look really sketchy and even our holes from Saturday were not frozen over when we came back Sunday.

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Hit Curlew yesterday.  Ice is in great shape-8-9" with no slop.  small amount of slush layer but mostly solid.  Fishing pressure seems to have moved them away from in front of dock.
People seem to be having more success out at least 100yds to left or right.  Marking them with the finder is almost a must.  Still lots of jumbos and bite is still good!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Hit Curlew yesterday.  Ice is in great shape-8-9" with no slop.  small amount of slush layer but mostly solid.  Fishing pressure seems to have moved them away from in front of dock.
People seem to be having more success out at least 100yds to left or right.  Marking them with the finder is almost a must.  Still lots of jumbos and bite is still good!

You are making me salivate over here! The best out we have had fishing this year yet has been on Curlew the 13th and 14th of January.

Offline Echo 6 Whiskey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:46 AM »
Fish Curlew today. Ice is holding up great. Rainbows where  on the bite but was looking for perch so I turned them all back. Perch where very aggressive bitting but could not stay on a school for more then one or two at a time. Lots of moving produced nine keeper perch and tiered arms. Catch was slow but the company and fishing was great the weather was great.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2018, 02:04 PM »
Any ice on this lake yet?

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Any ice on this lake yet?

Not capped yet but should be well on its way by this weekend. We had a warm spell this past week.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Thanks, Tyler. Watched your latest video this morning before work. As always, terrific work! I think you may have convinced me to look at the Alaskan fish trap instead of the jaw jackers.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2018, 12:10 PM »
Thanks, Tyler. Watched your latest video this morning before work. As always, terrific work! I think you may have convinced me to look at the Alaskan fish trap instead of the jaw jackers.

I was skeptical at first but they really are sensitive. I bet it will work for Kokanee.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Has anyone been by Curlew yet? How are we looking?

Offline Ridgeratt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Current temp say's 24 and hasn't been above freezin this last week.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Sounds promising...

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Spoke with Tiffany's over the weekend. North of the island at the state park the lake was still wide open but starting to form ice around the docks. Between the island and the state park ramp ice was about 2" thick. Should be getting close after the New Year.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 26, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Thanks, SpiltMilt! We are contemplating a trip up there in January. Either going there or Cascade...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.