Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 453682 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Inventions
« Reply #390 on: Nov 16, 2012, 04:46 PM »
I posted this under equipment...seems more appropriate here.......So..there doesnt seem to be a tool for Eskimo ice anchors and I know they dont work in the Clam anchor tool. I found this unacceptable. I decided to fabricate one.  I used an old propane weed burner end, cut a couple slots in it, welded a spark plug sock to the end, dipped it in that rubber stuff for tools (plasti-dip) and waalaah...It can be screwed in using a speed wrench (3/8" drive) or I am using the crank for leveling jacks on my camper. depending on the socket that you use. I havent tried it in ice yet but it works in a block of wood and I am confident it will work fine in ice. With an adapter...it can be used with a cordless drill.
I have made 4 of these.....yes...I have 3 friends..lol and they tell me I should patent this idea but I just wanted a tool to save my wrists from screwing these anchors into the ice.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/IMAG0721.jpg
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/IMAG0722.jpg

I need one for my quick fish II.
jbird68

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #391 on: Nov 16, 2012, 04:48 PM »
That looks really nice. Did you put a notch on the ice screw itself so the holder doesn't slip off while you're trying to screw it in? 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #392 on: Nov 17, 2012, 11:08 AM »
actually..friction from the rubber coating kind of holds the ice anchor in place in the tool.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #393 on: Nov 17, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Nicely done

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #394 on: Nov 17, 2012, 04:50 PM »
I am going the other route. I don't mind bringing a cordless drill along. But $15.00 a set for anchors seems to much. I bought the Clam anchor tool and am making my own anchors. I still need to add hooks to them but I think I will have $15.00 into 3 sets when I am done.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #395 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:31 PM »
I have ice screws for anchoring my portable, but for my big tents, I pack my cordless drill, a 3/8 inch drill, and 3/8 inch 6 inch lags to drive in with a socket.  With the big tents Im bringing all kinds of crap anyway, a cordless is a minor thing to pack out.

Like the anchors tho

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #396 on: Nov 17, 2012, 07:32 PM »
those anchors look sweet , great job!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #397 on: Nov 18, 2012, 08:21 PM »
10" Stainless scoop. Cleans the hole in one scoop and also serves as a good scoop to clean out the wood stove in the shanty...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #398 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:23 PM »
TIL (today i learned) that pikeking has tiny hands!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #399 on: Nov 19, 2012, 04:22 AM »
But he carries a big scoop!!    lol

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #400 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:14 AM »
How does she feel about your big scoop?
<===Lefty===

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #401 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:35 PM »
still one of the best threads!! @)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #402 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:48 PM »
here is some you can do with a circle jig a router and or a jig saw . take a look at the few i came up with. it could be a 
rod rack with fish finder  spot and or a place to thorw your crappie or even hold you lantren and drink  you deside.

bucket seat:

Offline nissannutzsx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #403 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Last year, I bought a Nimrod cordless drill adapter for my new Strike Master Mora 8" auger. The first time I tried it, it jumped around on the ice, and took a slice out of my boot and almost my big toe :o. Since there was hardly any ice last year, I modified my old hand auger by welding a large 3/4" auger drill bit centered on the bottom. I had to grind a little off the inside of the blades to clear the bit, and since my old auger's handle screws into the auger, I cut the handle off and welded the nimrod to the part that screws into the auger. I will be adding a piece of allthread through the nimrod's hole, and coat it with that rubber tool handle coating, so I don't lose it down the hole. I'm hoping to try it sunday.
Jeff Lucas

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #404 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:10 PM »
I am guessing you don't have a cover for that thing?
<===Lefty===

Offline nissannutzsx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #405 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Nope, I haven't figured that out yet ;D. That should be fun making one.
Jeff Lucas

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #406 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:21 PM »
I refuse to break trail for the bearer of THAT preloaded weapon.       :woot:

Offline nissannutzsx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #407 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:33 PM »
I hope to have all 10 toes after this weekend! lol.
Jeff Lucas

Offline Boss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #408 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:06 PM »
boredom got the best of me, so i cut off the old spool and mocked up my fly reel on my HT Windlass tipup

everything seems to work well as i hoped, it ttrips the flag as well as the original spool, and the drag is wayyyyy better then that silly plastic wingnut (obviously) the line pulls a lot smoother off the spool.

the reel is a heavier so it will take a bit of fine tuning with the springs and maybe an added weight (if needed) but i dont think much will need to be done

the only issue is how low the reel sits, it rubs on the arm as seen in the pic below.

i will probably put a 1/4" thick piece of wood underneath to mount it on, and raise it slightly. and/or grind the 2 square edges so that theyre round and not obstructing the movement.

when complete i will mount it permanently with some screws or bolts/nuts instead of the tape

still a work in progress, but so far so good

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #409 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Looks good. I would just round out those corners also. Looks like only about 1/8" needs to go.
<===Lefty===

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #410 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Not much of an invention... but it's our camera holder. Just a slit in a 1x4 pine board, and a clip from an old gps bolted to it to hold the wire.

Offline nissannutzsx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #411 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:35 PM »
Tried my frankenstein auger today. It worked pretty good, drilled about 6 holes with it, but my Hitachi batteries are crappy. The drill bit worked good, but I think I'll cut it off and weld a new shorter 1/2"-5/8" bit on because you use a good bit of juice untill you get to the blades. My cake pan hole blocker worked great, hope my mom doesn't notice it missing ;D.I figured out a simple cover for the bit/blades. Drilled a hole in the old blade cover for bit, and cut a heater hose to fit over bit. Crude, but effective.
Jeff Lucas

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #412 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:52 PM »

This is a little slammer, auto fisher..... walleye wacker, fish catching unit that I rigged up tonight with a little different trigger mechanism than I have seen on other units.  Hoping this style trigger could not have as much slack in the line.  Dry runs in the garage it seems to work pretty good, hopefully all the ice doesn't melt around here before I can use it. 

Offline smokey308

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #413 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Not sure what I was doing but looking at some of the other pics on here I attempted to build. I just used things i found laying around the garage. We will see if it works next weekend

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #414 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:44 AM »
I built these Jig Rod holders for my Vex using coolant flex hose and PVC. No more laying my rods on the ice and I have an extra rods right there set up for different presentations. The Flex hose can be moved where ever is convenient and is pretty rigid.

I made a bunch

Feedback welcome

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac277/hawk01_bucket/rrodholder_zpsb5fd9262.png[/img]]
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac277/hawk01_bucket/rodholder2_zpsf13ef380.png[/img]]
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac277/hawk01_bucket/rodholder3_zps50fc719f.png[/img]]

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #415 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:44 AM »
you should put a reel notch into that. i use the flex hose for brewing and a strong bite could and would tilt the holder down

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #416 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:14 AM »
I guess we could, I was not using them for deadsticking, just to keep my rods off the ice and have a few set up with different presentations for jigging so I can grab them quick. They are plenty sturdy for that.

Thanks I may try your suggestion.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #417 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Dont get me wrong i love this rod holder. where did you get your flex hose? mcmaster? how did you attach the hose to the pvc and the wing nut? is that 1/2 or 3/4?

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
« Reply #418 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:30 PM »
yea i want to know too. i would love to make one for my vex holder too
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #419 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:14 AM »
You can get the hose here http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-12-System/12-hose/51801, I used 1/2".   1/4" carriage bolt PVC to Flex hose, 5/16 stove bolt Loc-line to vex. Plastic 5/16 wing nut from local Hdwr store.

Hawk

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.