The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: ?Ice Making Question?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
?Ice Making Question?
« on: Jan 05, 2024, 05:28 AM »
Wind Chill? I'm wondering if, once a lake is locked up, wind chill has an effect on ice formation. I'm thinking the freezing wind might make ice form more quickly. Thoughts? Facts?
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ?Ice Making Question?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2024, 06:00 AM »
Ice is made from the bottom side up, once its capped its all about the air temps.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2024, 06:11 AM »
I believe the only things that feel "wind chill" are those that produce heat --- like ourselves. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2024, 06:13 AM »
Ice is made from the bottom side up, once its capped its all about the air temps.
Somebody looked it up
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2024, 06:15 AM »
I believe the only things that feel "wind chill" are those that produce heat --- like ourselves.
Anything above absolute ZERO has heat. Ice is actually hotter than the wind chill. I;m not talking about wind that would break up ice... What I mean is, does wind chill factors over thin but firm ice pull heat from the surface causing faster ice formation? It's like wind pulling heat from your hands ...

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2024, 06:23 AM »
Wind chill only affects biological  matter , if you have 32° ice & 0° windchill, the ice remains at 32°

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2024, 06:26 AM »
Ice forms as heat energy is taken from the water, lowering the water temperature until it freezes. The heat needs to go somewhere (up) for ice to continue to form, so it is transferred through to the colder (hopefully) atmosphere. This is why ice makes at a faster rate when it's only a couple inches thick than when it's a couple feet thick. The wind probably carries heat away from the ice surface faster than still air so the ice might make marginally faster since the ice surface temperature will be more easily maintained at the air mass temperature. But the "wind chill" value has no bearing on actual temperature available to make ice, only the ambient air temperature. So an air mass at 20F with a WC of -10F only makes ice at the 20F rate. Possibly facilitated a bit by the heat being carried away faster. I like to think so anyway, when the wind blows like crazy.  ;D

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2024, 06:27 AM »
Jeez, I type too slow.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2024, 06:31 AM »
Ice forms as heat energy is taken from the water, lowering the water temperature until it freezes. The heat needs to go somewhere (up) for ice to continue to form, so it is transferred through to the colder (hopefully) atmosphere. This is why ice makes at a faster rate when it's only a couple inches thick than when it's a couple feet thick. The wind probably carries heat away from the ice surface faster than still air so the ice might make marginally faster since the ice surface temperature will be more easily maintained at the air mass temperature. But the "wind chill" value has no bearing on actual temperature available to make ice, only the ambient air temperature. So an air mass at 20F with a WC of -10F only makes ice at the 20F rate. Possibly facilitated a bit by the heat being carried away faster. I like to think so anyway, when the wind blows like crazy.  ;D
  A little from FB Maine Ice Fishing The ice temp yesterday was warmer than today and the air temp is dropping as wind is picking up. So, Ice WILL FORM MORE QUICKLY WITH WIND CHILL.  So, RIGHT NOW, To agree with you, The air temp over West Grand is in the teens. So the wind will bring the temp down to that level more quickly, agreeing with your words, "with 30 degree air. It may freeze quicker because of the surface area being pummeled with cold air, but it’s not gonna get below 30. .."
The ice temp yesterday was warmer than today and the air temp is dropping as wind is picking up. So, Ice WILL FORM MORE QUICKLY WITH WIND CHILL.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2024, 06:35 AM »
Wind chill only affects biological  matter , if you have 32° ice & 0° windchill, the ice remains at 32°
NOT true on the biological part. Wind will strip away any "heat" more quickly than still air will. Say you have a warm six pack. When you put it in a cold stream, it will cool much faster than just putting it in cold water w/o flow.  Same thing with a warm rock...  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2024, 08:12 AM »
When we get snow over new ice does it insulate and slow ice making process,

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2024, 08:29 AM »
When we get snow over new ice does it insulate and slow ice making process,
That would be my thought. It's a blanket. I've been thinking a bit more about this and realized that as, say at 20 degrees with a strong wind, the surface temp of the ice will drop quickly and draw "heat" from deeper, thereby forming more ice more quickly further down.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2024, 09:24 AM »
If you fart in a mitten will that hand stay warmer than the other for a longer time or does wind chill even it out?
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2024, 09:52 AM »
If you fart in a mitten will that hand stay warmer than the other for a longer time or does wind chill even it out?
Wind chill def evens it out

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2024, 12:04 PM »
Here's some info from another Shanty thread...
I should have noted the question relates only to already iced over water, NOT to making first ice... as described below in the second comment... That comment seems to misunderstand the original question. The question was "Does wind chill have an effect on ice?"
As an aside, it is always interesting to see the least intelligent response source.

Re: Does Wind chill have effect on Ice??????
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:52 PM »
Actually windchill does make ice faster...but indirectly.  When it's calm a slightly warmer bubble of air is generated above the frozen lake because the lake radiates heat away as it freezes. (It's a small heating but it's there)  When it's windy, the wind removes the warm bubble of air more efficiently.  Also when water freezes it releases latent heat through a thermodynamic process.  Wind helps to remove this too.  The caviat here is that wind will usually keep the night warmer to begin with...you know the whole clear, calm nights get really cold thing?  So I usually hope for the clear, calm nights since the colder temps overpower the smaller cooling effects of the wind.  Hope this helps!

Re: Does Wind chill have effect on Ice??????
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:18 AM »
Wind chill does not affect how the ice is made. Wind chill is only the temperature that it appears to feel on human skin. So when the windchill is 0, it is not the same as when the temperature is 0. Wind only helps cool down lakes faster. As mentioned before when a lake is loosing heat on a calm night the heat slowly comes off the water and hangs a little extra longer near the water. When the wind is blowing, this heat is moved off of the water imediately making room for more heat to be released and so the pattern goes. But like also mentioned before, wind will keep water moving and ice from forming.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2024, 07:28 PM »
Caribou lake I had a report of 4" of ice today, Getting closer

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2024, 05:54 AM »
Caribou lake I had a report of 4" of ice today, Getting closer
Gonna be checking some local water in Bangor area today. Was gonna take a longer ride. Hopefully I'll see safe ice near home.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2024, 09:07 AM »

Why fart in just 1 mitten?

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2024, 07:53 PM »
WE needed one more day before the snow, Now it looks like slush. will follow snow with rain and 40 deg, temp for a week after.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2024, 05:21 AM »
WE needed one more day before the snow, Now it looks like slush. will follow snow with rain and 40 deg, temp for a week after.
Went around to some local small and medium water yesterday. Found most of it fishable WITH CARE. Couple places had open water over deeper areas and near inlets and outlets, but the majority of those places were fishable with 3 - 5 " clear "black" ice. Only calling for < 5" in my area. That will be gone after Wednesday's rain. Then things should harden up nicely!!! Yes, I'm an optimist and realistic too!  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2024, 09:16 AM »
Started snowing hard here at 3 am  we now have 5" in Cumberland Real fine snow gonna make some heavy slush after next weeks rain and warm days.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2024, 10:17 AM »
Started snowing hard here at 3 am  we now have 5" in Cumberland Real fine snow gonna make some heavy slush after next weeks rain and warm days.
The rain might wan it all away... Probably not, depending on what you get down there. Then two layers and get the the wheeler stuck!!! haha. Only supposed to get 4 - 5" here. That won't last in the rain. Not really looking like much of a temperature drop after the rain though...

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2024, 01:57 PM »
Just out and shoveled again. Measured snow depth and now its over 12" here in cumberland and they say it will stop at 7pm. Looks like well get close to 2' of snow.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2024, 03:31 PM »
Just out and shoveled again. Measured snow depth and now its over 12" here in cumberland and they say it will stop at 7pm. Looks like well get close to 2' of snow.
Wow! We might get 5" here... Don't have to put the plow on! I guess I can stand THAT!

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2024, 12:14 PM »

With a fart, no, with a shart, yes. Until it gets too cold and freezes.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2024, 12:20 PM »
With a fart, no, with a shart, yes. Until it gets too cold and freezes.
The first Grubby guy wold likely fill it with the wet kind.... and then have to change his pants   :woot: :thumbsup: :icefish: hehe

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2024, 02:23 PM »
let get Normaly smart and fish,

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2024, 02:27 PM »
let get Normaly smart and fish,
  :roflmao: :thumbsup: :icefish: Well, I'm not called "Anomaly" fer nuthin'  ::) ::) Crappie tomorrow! Whitefish Friday!!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2024, 06:14 PM »
Thats what i like to hear,  as soon as this next rain storm comes and freezes Ill be jigging white perch on Little sebago for sure.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2024, 06:06 AM »
8 deg. here in Cumberland this morn  that will freeze up the slush on local ponds and double ice thickness!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.