Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 429344 times)

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2700 on: Nov 18, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Did that 3"of snow stay on the ice? If it did a day or two of cold temps aren't going to do much in terms of building ice.
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2701 on: Nov 18, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I checked it out. Yes the snow is insulating the ice. Nothing going on.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2702 on: Nov 18, 2018, 01:12 PM »
I checked it out. Yes the snow is insulating the ice. Nothing going on.

Yeah, that's what I figured would happen, but I hoped the snow up there was not the heavy wet stuff we got here.

Warmer weather and rain coming later this week, so no more ice-building for a little while. But it is mid-November, and the real winter will be here soon enough.

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake has ice!
« Reply #2703 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Update on ice thickness?

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2704 on: Nov 19, 2018, 11:46 AM »
We tried fishing it yesterday. Clear Lake has 0 fishable ice. Mcintosh has maybe 50 of 4.5" then it immediately drops to 2"....Lynn Lorenz was all 1-2" and Farmers was 2.5" for 30-40 yards. Rain Friday and 40s this week. We did manage to find fishable ice on small ponds north of Clear however. Crystal Lake is also still partially open.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2705 on: Nov 20, 2018, 12:03 PM »
Was up there on Sunday, checked Farmers, Lorenzen and MacIntosh.  not there yet.  There is a large "new ice seam" going directly into farmers and one from Lorenzen all the way to the narrow gap.  It was only an inch or so.  We did not fish.

I would think areas of that lake will be "good to go soon".
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2706 on: Nov 21, 2018, 05:49 PM »
I would like to make a trip up early this year, I tried last year but not much luck on early ice. Does it help to wait a few weeks to stabilize

I fished little lake from Macintosh ramp last year in December, still learning but it would nice to understand where they are at early.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2707 on: Nov 21, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Good info Bockster, I still want to learn from the expert how to find the yellows

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2708 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:50 AM »
If the forecast for Clear Lake is right, the rain, warm temps, and wind of the next couple days is a good thing.

I am guessing CL is still mostly covered right now with thin, unsafe ice, topped with snow. If it is, most of that will get cleaned up by Sunday, and then when the cold temps hit next week good ice will be able to form that much quicker.

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2709 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Looks like the ice on the main lake held through the weekend. https://www.clearlakeboats.com/live-clear-lake-boats-marina--webcam

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2710 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:40 PM »
How is the ice looking at clear lake? Thinking about heading over some time this week.

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2711 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:18 PM »
No replies must mean good things. I would call the bait shop.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2712 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Check out Clear Lake Bait and Tackle on FB. They are constantly posting updates. Looks like a good perch bite is going on.

Offline ranger185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2713 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Was there today. Close to Farmers Beach. 5” or so of white chippy rough ice. Not the best quality, at least in that area. Spud bar easily (one poke) chopped the first 2”+ of it. Slush under areas that had snow on top. I think there is a good base but the couple of inches on top aren’t great. The auger blew thru the top and then dug in

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2714 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Not sure what the temps call for over there. In my area The day time temps call for 14-20* and the night time temps -2 to 6* for the rest of the week. I would think with those temps it should firm up the ice and slush by this weekend.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2715 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:11 PM »
The TV station reported 4-7" of ice today. I drove by the lake this morning and they're fishing along the edge of the weeds by the pump house On the little lake they're also fishing mostly along the edge of the weeds.  There was also a few guys fishing at lorenzen park. 

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2716 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Anyone making the trip tomorrow am, I am thinking about going solo

always fun to meet up with someone if possible

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2717 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:53 PM »
How thick is the ice on the lake?Havent been out yet but would like to go this weekend.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2718 on: Dec 15, 2018, 08:35 PM »
Last weekend a good 8" I would imagine on Sunday there was 150 people out all over. Spotted a UTV driving on ICE also.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #2719 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:18 AM »
We were there from saturday at ten and came back to omaha on sunday at 1 pm. There were way more than 150 people out there. And yes, anow mobiles, 4 wheelers, utvs, and even a full size ford were on the ice. The little lake was marking 8 - 10 inches, out from the island on the other end we were marking 12 - 15 inches of ice.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2720 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:02 PM »
It’s crazy how fast that lake freezes up.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2721 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:08 PM »
My buddy had a ranger w/ tracks out there, 9-10 inches of ice by pump house and Baptist camp.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2722 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:53 PM »
I made the trip again today, ice is in very good shape. I could not figure out the yellows, I was fishing next to a guy with same jig and bait. I could not catch one. The only difference would be the pole, reel, line, cadence / fisherperson. I left pretty disgusted with myself.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2723 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Do not beat yourself up to bad. Some guys have it in their hands.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2724 on: Dec 20, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I made the trip again today, ice is in very good shape. I could not figure out the yellows, I was fishing next to a guy with same jig and bait. I could not catch one. The only difference would be the pole, reel, line, cadence / fisherperson. I left pretty disgusted with myself.

If you're using a spring bobber the game is already lost. The yellows wanted it bouncing/quivering fast and not still or big jig strokes. Spring bobbers just kill all action. The hookset needs to be instant when they bite or you are too late. I put dozens on the ice right next to people who could mark fish, but catch nothing. Aldo keeping it within 8" of the bottom helped a ton

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2725 on: Dec 22, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Made the trip again, I actually caught a few in the morning. I was using a glow spoon with red spikes. I am amazed how many holes some people are drilling out there. The guys I normally fish with only drill a few and sit.

Just curious - I cleaned a few today and noticed a red line in the meat. Do you need to worry about cutting this out or just good to go.

Lots of people out today, met some really nice people who helped me and gave me some help.

Offline bigtt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2726 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Kevan Pauls Guide Service may have Sleeper Rentals out in a week or so. Can you get fish in the sleeper all day or do you need too hole hop all day. And just fish the sleeper at night?

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2727 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:56 AM »
Can a guy park in the Baptist camp and walk out from there?  Does the camp allow that?

Thanks for any info you may have.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2728 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Can a guy park in the Baptist camp and walk out from there?  Does the camp allow that?

Thanks for any info you may have.

No parking or access from Baptist camp itself. Private property

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2729 on: Jan 02, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.