The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fished Swan Lake  (Read 559 times)

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fished Swan Lake
« on: Jan 23, 2024, 06:13 PM »
Ice conditions on the south end were pretty good but the northern part looked a bit thin.  The three of us managed one Pickerell but the guy just north of us iced two lakers of 20 inches plus. He had smelts and they seemed to work better than shiners.  The day wasn't a loss since we had company, and the company had a fish he wanted to show off.  Nothing like getting beaten by an expert.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fished Swan Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:22 PM »
His grandfather glided down from that old pine and took a 3 lb salmon off the ice just as my buddy came back down the ice with some friends to show them the salmon and it was being eaten in that old pine.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2024, 04:49 AM »
 I grew up a mile from Swan, we fished it for salmon and brookies and togue were rare but if you got one it was in the teens. Watched a guy catch a 12 pounder right off the dam on a worm and bobber 20 years ago!  50 years ago I skated from the state park to the dam the first time I ever had skates on in a pair 4 sizes too big stuffed with newspaper because my dad wanted me to "grow into them" to save money that we didn't have.   Good memories there!  :)

Offline RB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2024, 05:21 AM »
Ice conditions on the south end were pretty good but the northern part looked a bit thin.  The three of us managed one Pickerell but the guy just north of us iced two lakers of 20 inches plus. He had smelts and they seemed to work better than shiners.  The day wasn't a loss since we had company, and the company had a fish he wanted to show off.  Nothing like getting beaten by an expert.

Amazing Bird! Though not on the ice I had one snatch a decent size bass I was reeling in on Flanders Pond! My concern was he would get hooked on the lure, he spooled my reel, landed in a large pine on the island straight off the boat launch, ate the fish and then took off. My grandkids were blown away by it but luckily he did not get hooked and the line was hanging down so we were able to give it a tug and not only did I get the line back but the lure as well!! Crazy experience they surely will never forget, nor will I, thank god I had witnesses as no one would ever believe me

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2024, 05:50 AM »
I grew up a mile from Swan, we fished it for salmon and brookies and togue were rare but if you got one it was in the teens. Watched a guy catch a 12 pounder right off the dam on a worm and bobber 20 years ago!  50 years ago I skated from the state park to the dam the first time I ever had skates on in a pair 4 sizes too big stuffed with newspaper because my dad wanted me to "grow into them" to save money the didn't have.   Good memories there!  :)
Ahh, the good-ol-days!  What would you stuff into those skates now?  The internet wouldn't take up much space. 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2024, 06:42 AM »
Ahh, the good-ol-days!  What would you stuff into those skates now?  The internet wouldn't take up much space.

It would never happen Mark because parents today would be too worried they were causing irrevocable damage to their child by making them endure some minor struggles in life!  God forbid given their fragile phycies!   :woot:

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2024, 07:25 AM »
It would never happen Mark because parents today would be too worried they were causing irrevocable damage to their child by making them endure some minor struggles in life!  God forbid given their fragile phycies!   :woot:
Oh so true Eric. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.