Author Topic: thick ice?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline rickie72

• IceShanty Rookie
thick ice?
« on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:17 PM »
  what is the thickest ice you ever drilled ? down is sask canada 3 feet for me

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: thick ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:28 PM »
I have a strike master hand auger that I used for a long time. Several years back I drilled as far as I could with it than chipped a few inches around edge of the hole with the end of the scoop so that I could drill more before I broke through. i think the drill is good to 44 inches. The worst part is that I was so sore after drilling so this year I bought a new jiffy. I can tell you that the only good thing about a jiffy is that there is no plastic when they make it, as for quality it's a POS I can drill more holes faster with the hand auger. Basically, if you like drilling holes i recommend a Jiffy. This weekend i drilled two holes in about 25 inches of ice I think it took twenty minuets a hole dew to the stalling and ice build up on the blades.     

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:47 AM »
We saw 26" of beautiful clear ice and my Mako 10" was through it in seconds. I have to have to lift up on it or it will chug down. Yes, it has some plastic. Nothing broken yet.... It was a bear to get started the first time (Operator Error?). After that, no problems.

Mike

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Not in Alaska but last spring I drilled through 64" of clear black ice in Yellowknife, NWT.
I use a 3HP 10 1/4" Strikemaster Cobra and run Opti2 full synthetic oil. I also have to clear the chips especially when it's that thick.
I'm good for about 2 feet without clearing the chips. I only made the mistake of not clearing once, took 20 minutes to free the auger.
Won't do that again.   ::)
We are currently at 3 1/2 to 4 feet of ice this year.

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Holy ice canada, that is a lot of ice to drill through. I know I have an extension on my Mako 10" auger. The most ice I have seen came from Long Lake on the Glen 2-3 years ago. It was all I could do to punch through the ice with the auger head touching the ice. Must have been over 50".

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Holy ice canada, that is a lot of ice to drill through. I know I have an extension on my Mako 10" auger. The most ice I have seen came from Long Lake on the Glen 2-3 years ago. It was all I could do to punch through the ice with the auger head touching the ice. Must have been over 50".

That's what I though when the auger bottomed out with an 18" extension on it.  :woot:
I had to drill a couple of shallow holes on either side to get the motor to drop enough to get the last 4".
I don't drill many holes when it get's that thick, pop a couple and start fishin'.
Maybe pop a couple more later if it's slow.    8)

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2010, 05:06 PM »
54-55 inches on a local lake for me. On the river some buddies went close to 6 foot with a special built extension they built for the auger!

Offline rickie72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:11 PM »
 holy dina you all got me beat, i thought we had ice here , thank god it dont get that thick in sask canada

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.