Author Topic: Ice armor why???????  (Read 10056 times)

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
Ice armor why???????
« on: Dec 17, 2006, 05:40 PM »
I hear alot about it and see people wearing it Alot.Wouldnt it be smarter to just buy a float suit(2 piece if you want it like ice armour) They cost about the same price??? Just wondering why people are buying it over a float suit??? :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Ice armor why???????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Because Dave Genz wears it.  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:31 PM »
I hear alot about it and see people wearing it Alot.Wouldnt it be smarter to just buy a float suit(2 piece if you want it like ice armour) They cost about the same price??? Just wondering why people are buying it over a float suit??? :tipup:

Hmm lets see 800.00 comparied to 300.00 which would you take ?
Hard Ice

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:20 AM »

BINGO :tipup:

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:39 AM »

Carhartts! :thumbsup: :tipup:

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:45 AM »
 ok take the ice armour and put it on under your 25 doller life jacket and then you have the same thing..
Hard Ice

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:46 AM »
For this season I got I.D.I's Arctic Armour,it will float a person up to 300lbs and it cost $300.It is also light weight,med coat and large bibs weigh in at just 5lbs,heck my Rocky boots weigh more than the suit!Rather be safe than sorry. :tipup:
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2006, 12:09 PM »
I have used a floater suit for a few years now. I fish northwestern Ontario and I feel confident in the ice but I know the ice isnt always safe but I am one of the first to put the ice equipment away. I switched this year to the Ice Amour X suit. My floater suit was just worn out. The holes were too much to repair ( they have to be repaired by the company to ensure they are still legal) and I couldnt get it cleaned for the life of me. The Ice Armour suit I have found is already easier to clean and I am way more comfortable in. But let me assure you when the early and late ice is around I will be in my older Floater suit. I know this sounds expensive but the floater suit was a gift and i saved for a bit to buy an Ice Armour suit. I would definitly suggest the floater suit and if anyone knows a way to get engine grease and just the dirt of wear off of it please let me know. And a little note...keep your body away from the power auger muffler  :-\

Robin

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2006, 12:12 PM »

hmmmmmmmmmm lets see.................wh y don't you use SPELLCHECK???

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2006, 12:25 PM »
I'm with everyone else, 800.00 ???. I got a Mustang Survival suit from ebay in may for 150.00 brand spanking new. With a little help from Slipbob I got the right size and now we just need 1" of ice so I can try it out ;)
        Jim

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2006, 03:50 PM »
you new waht him meanded dough, wright.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:49 PM »
you new waht him meanded dough, wright.

These comments did not help or add to this thread. If you want to help another member with Iceshanty amenities, you can do so with Private Message.

I believe that floatation of any kind is a great idea, I always wear a lifejacket on first ice. I cannot afford Ice Armour or expensive flotation devices, so I do the best I can.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:30 PM »
I like my mustang I wear it probably 8 months of the year fishing open water and on the ice, when i wear it out i'll buy another, and no they don't cost anywhere close too 800 bucks.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:08 PM »
Ice picks is the safest I get ;D I suppose that is not a good thing. How much does a mustand suit normally cost? in CAD if you can. Saves me the mental math :P

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:22 PM »
In case anybody is interested.........  Bass Pro Shops has teamed up with Mustang Survival to produce a duplicate of the Mustang MS2175 Deluxe Anti-Exposure Coverall which they call:  "Browning Fishing float Suit".
Based on the bass Pro literature the new suit seems to be an exact duplicate --- BUT --- the price is only $250.00!!
I'm getting the Mustang suit this week for the coming season. (I like the Orqnge/Black colors of the Mustang)

IceBalls

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:24 PM »
i think i paid 375 for my suit three and a half years ago, but this was in yellowknife NWT so probably cheaper elsewhere.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline frostyicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:33 PM »
I was curious if this is the suit everyone is talking about.
Heres the link. http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-sis2i.html

I found Mustang suits close to $2000.00. So I think  the one for $369.00 is the one.

So let me know. Thanks.

Offline DIESELWRENCH2003

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BEST TIME TO FISH-EVERY CHANCE YOU GET
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2006, 01:19 AM »
Got my Ice Armor from my very dear and understanding wife for Xmas last year. did not know about flotation suits. I do love the armor its warm and comfy, I do wear a vest and carry a cushion along with picks on unsure ice.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2006, 11:46 AM »
Ok so now i know why people wear ice armour.They just dont know they can get a floatation suit for the same price or in some cases even cheaper than an ice armour suit.I think we should let other ice fisherman know by starting either a thread or something on the actual prices of a float suit  compared to the 300.00 ice armour suit that is nothing more than a snow suit.I myself paid 160.00 for a sundrige 2 pc floattaion suit.Thats almost half the price of an ice armour suit.well good luck with what ever you choose,bring on the ice!!!! ;D :tipup:

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I just wait for safe ice and wear my 10X hunting clothes. Waterproof, windproof, and warm. 

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:31 PM »
sorry guys should have known to put it under this category,ju st think people should know how cheap the float suits are getting and if we save one life its well worth it. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2006, 03:50 AM »
Because Dave Genz wears it.  ;D ;)
i think that has alot to do w/ it!!!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline THEFLAGMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:34 PM »
you dont need a float suit if you fish on safe ice!!! plus every one has thoes ice picks if they fall in :tipup:

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2007, 02:43 AM »
you dont need a float suit if you fish on safe ice!!! plus every one has thoes ice picks if they fall in :tipup:
I think NO ice is completely safe.  Theres always that "what if".  I would rather have peace of mind with the float suit.  I own neither, but the float suit will be the one i buy.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2007, 05:08 AM »
Exactly Travis. There is no such thing as completely safe ice. Not sure about the rest of you but the waters I fish get pressure ridges constantly. We also can have warm springs (they can and do pop up in different places from year to year) as well as natural gas pockets under the lake bed that bubble up and erode the ice. All of the above can be deadly to an ice fisherman. Sometimes these spots are not easy to detect especially if you are on a 4 wheeler or snow machine. Anyone who ventures out on the ice and thinks they are completely safe, even on 36" of ice is either a fool or they are kidding themselves. A plunge through the ice is a very deadly thing. Anyone who complains about the price of a floatation jacket or suit has very little idea of the value of human life. Put a price on your life. Or ask a family member to put a price on your life. As stated before, a life jacket will keep you afloat but wont protect you from Hypothermia. Generally your life expectancy in frigid water is less than 20 minutes and thats only if you dont sink like a rock. Generally in about 10 minutes you will lose all dexterity even if you do hang on to the edge of the ice. Once you lose the ability to try and save yourself your just waiting to die if help is not close by. If you wear carharts and heavy boots, you will sink like a rock. That being said, I found a Mustang survival jacket (jacket only- not a suit) that will keep your upper body floating and can offer Hypothermia protection for up to 90 minutes. The jacket is sold by Cabelas and the price is $179.00 which is not expensive considering the cost of most winter jackets nowadays. Below is a link. Do yourselves and your family a favor. I know I did.

http://cabelas.C0M/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012172940253a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=mustang+floatation&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=mustang+floatation&noImage=0

Here is the link for the Browning suit made by Mustang. It looks equally as good at $249.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?mode=article&objectID=29915

IceTroll

Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2007, 07:07 PM »
I have been looking at float suits and I know that the Mustang float suit is US Coast Guard approved. I do not know if the Browning is.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2007, 07:18 PM »
I can not see why anybody would choose a Genz suit over a float suit. I want to get a comfortable good fitting suit that I will want to wear. I hope these suits are not bulky like the older ones. I had a charter trip planned for the Niagra but is was pushed back a few weeks. Now I have more time to make a decission. Anybody have any tips on buying the right size?

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2007, 11:30 PM »
Hardguy..........The Browning suit is made by Mustang so I would be willing to bet it meets Coast Guard standards like all of their floatation line. Here is another option made by Mustang called the Ice Rider. Still reasonably priced.

http://www.machovec.com/catalog/index_pages/ice_rider.htm
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2007, 08:20 PM »
I would NEVER buy a float suit.  I would rather buy some good fishing equiptment.  Like someone else said, purchase a nice ice armour suit and then put your Wallmart fishing vest overtop....PERFECT! ;)
Born to FISH, Forced to WORK!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2007, 11:35 PM »
To each his own Logan22. But as also said previously, being in cold water with no protection from Hypothermia = Death in short order.

Float jackets and suits offer a high degree of insulation from frigid waters allowing your motor skills to function for a longer period of time which affords you a greater deal of time to escape. Or await rescue. Life jackets do not but they will keep you afloat.

IceTroll
     :callcops:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.